collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone who's written a book- quick question...  (Read 1370 times)

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone who's written a book- quick question...
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:41:53 PM »
Just wondering, once you've written your first proper draft, how long do you leave it before you reread it and properly edit it? Some online advice says a fortnight, some say a few months, others say longer!
How long do you feel is long enough for you to read it again with a more objective view?
Almost finished my first draft of a children's book, and the words are just flowing at the moment.
(Have had loads of stories in the planning stages for years, realised life is too short and I need to get them written or I'll never get around to it!).
Thanks!

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone who's written a book- quick question...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 06:54:54 PM »
As someone that writes for a living--right away, though a day or two is fine to clear your mind. If you are writing for purpose of selling, then you need an editor and a fresh set of beta reader eyes. Believe me, after getting lost in your story, you won't spot obvious mistakes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 07:08:29 PM »
Believe me, after getting lost in your story, you won't spot obvious mistakes.

I second this. I find it hard to spot my own mistakes in my writing when I'm really caught up in story. I've looked back at some of the things I've written and seen the mistakes later and thought "How could I make such an obvious mistake and not catch it until now?"

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »
 constantly re reading and re editing. It doesn't always come out perfect but I'm slowly getting better
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »
constantly re reading and re editing. It doesn't always come out perfect but I'm slowly getting better

This pretty much.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »
it totally depends on the author. For me, it depends on whether the story is stand-alone or part of a series. It depends whether I've been keeping a note file while I work. And it depends on where I am mentally--am I ready to think about revisions or am I still in a creative mind-set?

It also depends on what you are aiming to look for. Are you focused on developmental editing--overall plot and character design and whether that works throughout your work--or are you at a stage where you are more focused on line editing to fix grammar, writing flow, spelling, word choice, etc.? If you can already see things that you may want to change about the story, I'd advise starting a file and noting them so you can come back in a week or two, re-read your work, compare it to your notes, and see if those changes still fit. If its more nuts-and-bolts you want to edit, distance is your friend and I also agree with ClosetAvalanche that you're going to need to get it looked at eventually.

Good luck!

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline GazeboMouse

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 11:05:15 PM »
Thanks everyone. Have saved all your comments on a pdf and will read through them again later! When I've finished, what I'll do is give it a spelling and grammar check, and leave it until I know I've run out of plotline ideas to add to it!
Eventually I'm looking at publication, but before then I'm doing a few uni courses, possibly an MA at some stage, so am wanting to get as many of my ideas down as possible in some order, not just scribbled notes and chapters in random notebooks! Hopefully on my courses I can get some editorial feedback on some of it, then I will know if it is worth continuing.

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »
Thanks everyone. Have saved all your comments on a pdf and will read through them again later! When I've finished, what I'll do is give it a spelling and grammar check, and leave it until I know I've run out of plotline ideas to add to it!
Eventually I'm looking at publication, but before then I'm doing a few uni courses, possibly an MA at some stage, so am wanting to get as many of my ideas down as possible in some order, not just scribbled notes and chapters in random notebooks! Hopefully on my courses I can get some editorial feedback on some of it, then I will know if it is worth continuing.

With publication, it's usually the publisher that pays for the editor, beta reads, cover, ect. Some advice for new writers, don't trust 'publishers' that want you to pay for various services. Legit publishers foot the bill for everything, which is why they take so much of your royalties. If you go the self-pub route, you will have to pay for everything yourself. I self-pub and contract out editors, proofreaders, cover artists, ect.

Offline GazeboMouse

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 11:17:04 PM »

With publication, it's usually the publisher that pays for the editor, beta reads, cover, ect. Some advice for new writers, don't trust 'publishers' that want you to pay for various services. Legit publishers foot the bill for everything, which is why they take so much of your royalties. If you go the self-pub route, you will have to pay for everything yourself. I self-pub and contract out editors, proofreaders, cover artists, ect.

Interesting, thanks! I've heard the world of publishing, self-publishing, and all that 'Vanity publishing' business is a bit of a minefield, according to the internet.  Well done to all writers here above, it isn't as easy as people thinks! Or thunk.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 11:20:26 PM »
I'm not published because my daughter can do that when I'm dead, but I proof read asap and again a few days later. I've got an 18 gallon tub full of stories. :)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 02:53:25 AM »
I write stories for fun, and go back to edit each section perhaps a week or so after I've finished it. There's not much point editing straight away, I've found.

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 08:28:39 AM »

Interesting, thanks! I've heard the world of publishing, self-publishing, and all that 'Vanity publishing' business is a bit of a minefield, according to the internet.  Well done to all writers here above, it isn't as easy as people thinks! Or thunk.

Ugh, yes. I laugh at the people who make comments like "I'm going to write a book so I can become rich". Finishing the book is hard and don't let anyone tell you differently. I normally write 60k novels in 3-4 weeks but I'm doing this as a living. Basically, I have to write as much as possible as soon as possible. Then add on that I self-publish. To get a typical 60k novel ready for publishing, it costs about 500-600$. But in my opinion, if you're experienced and know what you are doing, you will make more self-publishing than going through publishers. Last year I made less than 5k from my publisher. This year, I've already surpassed 20k from self-publishing. Even with the expenses, I'm far ahead doing it on my own. I write in the romance genre so I can't speak for children's books, but it is something to think about. Basically, publishers=less royalties and control of your work for more safety. If the book flops they take the hit. Or self-publishing=more money but more risk. I know several authors that are hybrids and do both.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
Publishers can help you get your name out there, right? Then self publishing would be easier? I let select people read what I right to critique, but have no intention of publishing.

ClosetAvalanche, what's your nom de plume?

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »

This pretty much.

Agreed.  :)

I write for fun (though I do still intend to be published eventually.)  However, when I'm about to work on a new section/chapter, I usually re-read the previous section to edit and make sure it flows into the next section.  If I'm referencing something that happened in an earlier chapter, I'll probably read and edit that one, too.

I also usually go through a major read-through and edit multiple times as I'm working through the story.  Sometimes, I'll do this if I can't think of what I should write next but feel like I should write something.  At least then, it'll give me a clearer view of where the story is going.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline GazeboMouse

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 12:17:44 PM »
This is a very interesting thread, thanks people!
I've finished my first draft, (24, 576 words, over twice as long as my uni dissertation, which I didn't finish, which was a bit embarrassing at the time!), printed it out, and have put to one side. If I feel like writing in the next week, I'll go and finish off something else I've started.
Then when I go back to my story, I'll spellcheck, then read it from beginning to end, checking chapters follow each other properly. Then later make any other edits and any changes, then leave it again. I know I'll need to do a little at a time or I'll be overwhelmed!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal