collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: my little pony fair 2017 in September 8-10 in Providence, RI! CONFIRMED  (Read 42407 times)

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+90)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
Re: my little pony fair 2017 in September
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
all i want to do is buy my ticket for the plane or bus to get things settled  :) that way i don't have to worry and it would be all paid off long before the fair came around.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
Eeeeek I hope it's not in Rhode Island! That's about a 15 hour drive for me!

me too, I've been trying to figure out how I can fly with a crapload of ponies without having to pay a fortune for overweight suitcases or shipping fees! I'm sure someone on here has tips!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
As it's been in Rhode Island before if it is there again this year I'm sure plenty of people will have travel and transportation tips :)

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
Eeeeek I hope it's not in Rhode Island! That's about a 15 hour drive for me!

me too, I've been trying to figure out how I can fly with a crapload of ponies without having to pay a fortune for overweight suitcases or shipping fees! I'm sure someone on here has tips!

TRAVEL TIPS:

It's over 15 hours' drive for me too, so I'll likely fly again. I managed to sell ponies both times the Fair was there, suitcases STUFFED with ponies and playsets.  It helps to travel with a non-pony collector, so you can use their baggage allowances ;)    Southwest flies into PVD and other airports around there, and they have the best baggage allowance policy I've seen.   Sometimes their flights are more expensive than other airlines, but not when you factor in luggage fees.     Delta also has some free luggage perk if you're signed up for their credit card.    I wouldn't be surprised if there are other airlines that offer the same perks.

Put your heaviest stuff in your carry-on since there usually isn't a weight limit on those.

Many airlines let you also have a personal bag, so you can use that as extra luggage as long as it fits their size regulations.

Some people have shipped ponies to the hotel, but make sure you OK it with the hotel.

Take only ponies that are worthwhile taking. If you've got a bunch of stuff that nobody wants, it's just taking up valuable luggage space and you'll probably come home with it anyway. The only exception would be if you're desperate to get rid of it. Then if you're willing to give it away for practically free, it might be worth taking along so you can free up space at home.

You *can* take playsets in suitcases, but be smart about packing the crevices with ponies, socks, accessories, etc. It'll help protect the playsets and save space. 

Buy table decorations once you get there.  Table cloths, streamers, balloons, candy etc.  Make a list so you're organized.  You can even make it really easy on yourself if you order online to pick up in store. I know Walmart offers this service and will hold items for a week.  So about a week before you leave, put in an order to ship to a store close-by.  You can also do this with toiletries! 

NON-PONY STUFF:

Buy your toiletries and such once you get there.  They take up unnecessary space and weight. Set aside some money and take a shopping list of things like shampoo, soaps, razors, etc that will be easy to pick up once you're there.  Unless you're picky about your brands, you don't need to bring a lot of that stuff with you.   And you'll likely have space on the way home to bring them back to use.  I usually make a snack run for the hotel anyway, and I get there at least a day before. 

If you don't think you can make a store run, shop the travel area before you leave and take the travel-sized stuff.  Get small travel-size containers for the toiletries you need to bring from home. I sometimes transfer my make-up powder to a smaller container.  Check dollar stores too -- sometimes they have this stuff for cheaper.

Call the hotel to find out what toiletries they have for free.  Sometimes they have things aren't automatically provided in the rooms like toothbrushes, combs, razors.  Bonus -- this can save you money :) 

Space-saver bags allow you to suck the air out of your clothes and save a lot in luggage space.  It won't make it weigh less, so be careful about your bag's weight limit, but you can make room for larger and lighter things.

Plan out your wardrobe for the weekend.   I'm an over-packer, so I have to convince myself that I'm not going to a 3rd world country and I can get or survive without things I've forgotten. But having a list helps me have peace-of-mind and usually helps me not pack things I don't need.

Pick a color-scheme for the weekend.  If you're wearing a certain color scheme (like blues, or pastels or earth tones), you might be able to get away with one pair of shoes, wearing the same jewelry, carrying one purse, etc.   Cutting down on your accessories really helps!

Put your shoes, hair iron or dryer and anything else that's heavy in your carry-on.  Usually there's no weight limit for carry-ons so you can stuff more things in your suitcase.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:56:43 PM by ashlyne »

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
If you don't have large suitcases, you can check also plastic storage totes. I would recommend taping them securely & putting your contact info on the top. I flew in with 3 tables worth of stuff for the staff sale in 2015 packed in 1 suitcase & 1 large plastic tote. I secured the tote with a ton of duct tape & brought the roll along for the return trip. I know that may sound a little silly, but it worked out well.

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+90)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
if flying check the luggage rules of who you are going with, i know air canada, delta and porter have the standard 50 pound limit BUT honestly 50 pounds is a lot of single loose ponies.

you are allowed a purse so stuff that with loose ponies to

most airlines let you have a carry on as well, i think it is a standard 15 pound limit? or 25 ? but carry rules is more for size of bag.  stuff that with loose ponies as well.

i used my clothing to wrap higher value ponies and somewhat breakables on the way home. it makes great padding

and i agree about bringing stuff you think will probably sell well, everyone has the common ponies.

i also use the fair to literally give away pony stuff i have been stuck with for years, stuff that went through ebay, pony meets, trades, sales. if i can not sell it by the end of sunday i put out my free sign and of course everyone comes running then

also plan your clothing, i wear my sandals every year and use that for all events, if i am getting a fair t shirt then that is 1 less i can pack for the way there.

i also buy my shampoo, conditioner there IF i know there is access to a local store of some kind to buy it from. also don't forget the hotel gives you that stuff to in your room and will give you more free of charge.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:30:05 PM by drusilla »

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
Is it confirmed for Rhode Isand or are we just sharing packing/travel tips?

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
Is it confirmed for Rhode Isand or are we just sharing packing/travel tips?

just speculation right now! But these tips are great for anyone that ends up flying instead of driving! Thank you guys for posting them!!

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
Great tips, even if you arever traveling for fun
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
Another tip, if you plan on wearing mostly t shirts and shorts or jeans, look up the skivvy roll technique; its great!  I usually use my carry on for the ponies I'm most worried about, and a couple of bait ponies with removable heads are a good way to avoid being obvious with large amounts of cash, good spot for jewelry, too!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
Regardless of where it is these are great tips! (If it is in RI I will be on the driving team b/c it's actually much closer for me than Chicago)

As for the plastic tubs this is a good idea as well! I have seen people check large carboard boxes as well that are all taped up really well. This also saves weight and space that you are allotted.

When packing, make sure not to get too close to the weight limit as scales aren't all accurate and you don't want ot have to unpack or be overcharged at the airport.
~Foxtale~

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:37 PM »
, and a couple of bait ponies with removable heads are a good way to avoid being obvious with large amounts of cash, good spot for jewelry, too!

Absolutely brilliant. Even on a non-pony trip!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2017, 05:08:59 PM »
, and a couple of bait ponies with removable heads are a good way to avoid being obvious with large amounts of cash, good spot for jewelry, too!

I think it was Skylar or Ivy who first showed me that; its great for if your gonna be vending and there isn't a branch of your bank close, so you have to carry a lot of small bills.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »

I think it was Skylar or Ivy who first showed me that; its great for if your gonna be vending and there isn't a branch of your bank close, so you have to carry a lot of small bills.

Smart idea! Just don't forget which ones have the money and sell them XD

All I can think of is the Nirvana incident where the MIP ponies were coming from a South American country (I forgot which one) were intercepted by customs b/c they thought they were drug mules.... sorry drug ponies. XP
~Foxtale~

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2017, 04:33:43 AM »
If it's in RI then I know I can't make it, I live all the ways south and it just would not be worth it for me since I would not be a seller XD I know it's going to be hard on sellers too though.

Best scenario would be that the Fair is at a different time of month from Hascon and hopefully in a different state

Worse scenario would be what everyone is fearing atm that it will be same time as Hascon and same area pretty much. For some that won't be a problem but I either mentioned here or on FB that I was worried due to the amount of people who will freely enter the Fair area thinking they can get better deals on items (not that doesn't happen anyone but with a larger crowd it does invite more trouble)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal