collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How can you ship a big item like paradise estate to Europe from US?  (Read 1510 times)

Delaneys

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone found an economical way?  Paradise Estate is 26x26x19 and 23 lbs... USPS says too big to ship, best I could find on FedEx was $650!  DHL was $850!  Is there no way to ship something that large at a reasonable price anymore?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How can you ship a big item like paradise estate to Europe from US?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »
Is it with original box?
If not, you may be able to make it more affordable by breaking it down into multiple smaller boxes.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
I don't know how they did it but the US seller I bought my PE Estate from paid $60 through eBay's Global Shipping Program. They posted in its original box which GPS slashed a bit, but I figured it was a small price to pay.

They were similarly quoted $600-800 from other shipping companies so the only explanation I have is a miracle...
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:05:21 PM »
I have no good suggestions. Unfortunately USPS has raised international shipping costs to the point where most collectors can't afford to buy or sell such a huge item internationally. :(

I don't know how they did it but the US seller I bought my PE Estate from paid $60 through eBay's Global Shipping Program. They posted in its original box which GPS slashed a bit, but I figured it was a small price to pay.

They were similarly quoted $600-800 from other shipping companies so the only explanation I have is a miracle...
eBay's Global shipping program gets lower international rates because they are a bulk shipping service. The price would have been the cost for the seller to ship it to eBay's US GSP location plus the cost for GSP to ship to its international buyer at a bulk discount rate. Unfortunately that's the only way to get a price that low. :huh:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Do you know anyone going on holiday to Europe?  Maybe they could smuggle it in their luggage and post it when they land.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »
I don't want you to let go of some profit but maybe that person can get a PE from someone in Europe? It was sold over here too back then and see it coming up often on a dutch selling site.

Delaneys

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 03:53:15 AM »
Thanks... we'll give the global priority program a shot for the listing.  It is unreal how much it cost to ship anything now!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 08:17:28 AM »
Sea mail :)

It will be lengthy; but with Paypals extra long period now before a buyer can claim it should not put someone off too much. You just need to be confident your buyer understands the length of time for shipping may be in months rather than weeks. I have recieved very large consignment boxes from the States, Canada and Australia all sent via sea mail. Much less painful in cost but long in shipment time.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
Does sea mail have tracking?  If not, I would avoid it for eBay.  I've had buyers who are too impatient for First Class International, even after I told them in advance it might take over a month.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
Oh...I would only suggest it if you have proof your buyer is happy to wait and if you are confident this period of time is something you can live with (after all it will take months for the transaction to complete). Yes, it can come with tracking depending on the carrier. It may vary from country to country though - but its worth investigating as an option. If kind of depends on your buyer - perhaps they are willing to pay hundreds of dollars in shipping for something so hard to track down after all? I know for me, nowadays, I just know I ll have to pay a high price for shipping - thats life if you purchase international.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline PaintKitty

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • PaintKitty's Stall Facebook Group
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »
One way to post very large items from the US to the UK is using ParcelHero.com.  I use their UK service parcel2go.co.uk to send large parcels within the UK / Europe / US for a fraction of what I would pay if I went directly to each courier.  After the fair, I sent 2 large boxes from the US to the UK paying about £65 for both via UPS 3-5 day service.  Can't beat that as it was cheaper than paying for extra luggage.

Best of luck!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 07:46:09 AM »
Sea mail :)

It will be lengthy; but with Paypals extra long period now before a buyer can claim it should not put someone off too much. You just need to be confident your buyer understands the length of time for shipping may be in months rather than weeks. I have recieved very large consignment boxes from the States, Canada and Australia all sent via sea mail. Much less painful in cost but long in shipment time.

I've done the same as hathorcat. Seamail. With people I trusted to send the correct items, and package them WELL and secure/padded etc. They packaged them well, and sent me an image of the reciept so I knew it was on it's way. and inversely sellers who trusted me to be patient and not file claims against them. (this was back when PP had a 45? day window- I was well past that when shipments showed up.). It saved me soooo much money, so much money.
It can take MONTHS. But, the cost savings more then made up for that.

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:31 PM »
Unfortunately there is no option for sea mail shipping from the USA (at least not through USPS). We used to have the option for it (called surface) years ago but they took that away and now we only have first class for up to 4 lbs and then Priority after that with of course the size restriction which is usually 108 inches if you measure length plus girth.
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline cassstorm

• Cheeky Monkey Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+442)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
I am sure this has long been resolved, but for future reference:

You can repack it in a box that is within the correct dimmensions. Walmart sells a box that is 18x18x24, I use 2 boxes (one with the flaps up, the other overtop) to make a box that is 18x18x36 which is the max size. I send boxes that size frequently to both the UK and Netherlands. Price ranges based on weight, for 26 lbs it would be $131 to the UK (from my place). I have packed PE a few times, I take it completely apart (roof and front) set one room inside another (inner room wrapped in foam), wrap the 2 in bubble wrap. I fill the inside with the pieces or packaging material. I have not had one break to date  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal