collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The back of backcards  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Ponyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Puffy stickers are my currency! Trade with me!
    • View Profile
Re: The back of backcards
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »
I have a Flutterby moc originated from Sweden (I'm the third owner since she was purchased here in the toy store). We got both the American second release rainbows with the reissue of 4 the first characters + the standing card with the second release rainbows (with a little time span in between).

I haven't concluded if we ever had skydancer and sunlight here in Sweden, but otherwise it looks like we had the full cake. :)

So wait a minute. You got the US release and the card with the UK artwork, while the UK got nothing? Hasbro genuinely hated us here, didn't they? ;)

But we missed out on the  TE ponies, we just got loads of rainbows as a compensation, and Fizzy was my all time favorite growing up while watching The Movie over and over.. I had a hard and unjust childhood too!! ;)

They just hated Europe in general, but I still feel you got the better deal ;) We only had 2/3 of the TE ponies, and none of the pretty 2nd year Rainbows, Pegasi and Unicorns that were all over our comics...

I'm very happy that we got the fable ponies here, since I have had Firefly with me my whole childhood to comfort me from my lack of a Fizzy. ;)
I'm truly sorry you never had the unis and pegs, I'm working trough some heavy cataloging of the whole US/european range of ponies (including nirvanas) with the proper release year for each country...  And I'm just about to puzzle together 1986... (It will be heavy). It occured to me how much you was left out of in the first years compared to the US release (but hey, we didn't get ponies at all untill 1986 over here in Sweden!) ;)
My collection at Snupps:http://snupp.it/d8NITq
Instagram: @iPonyland

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »
It would've been fine if they hadn't been in our stories. I don't mind at all that we didn't get So Softs or some of the other US ponies, but I mind that they took so much time to advertise these characters. They made us love them, packaged them and then...sent them to you guys to sell there instead. Bitter? Why yes, yes I am.

But it's nice to know that Flutterbye was sold over there. At least it ticks an information box in my brain about releases (and continues to add to demolishing the myth that "Europe" is a block entity where MLP is concerned.) People have sort of bypassed those questions in recent years with all the different Nirvanas, but they're still there and interesting to me...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Puffy stickers are my currency! Trade with me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
It would've been fine if they hadn't been in our stories. I don't mind at all that we didn't get So Softs or some of the other US ponies, but I mind that they took so much time to advertise these characters. They made us love them, packaged them and then...sent them to you guys to sell there instead. Bitter? Why yes, yes I am.

But it's nice to know that Flutterbye was sold over there. At least it ticks an information box in my brain about releases (and continues to add to demolishing the myth that "Europe" is a block entity where MLP is concerned.) People have sort of bypassed those questions in recent years with all the different Nirvanas, but they're still there and interesting to me...

Yes I can't understand why they didn't just release them in UK too, everything was prepared for it. It looks like they really had something agains the magical breeds. Like some old man sitting at Hasbro UK sales deparment proclaming that "ponies should just be ponies here, we can't twist little childrens minds with magical fantasy creatures (-to bad we just ordered all those comics)". ;P

Edit:
At least you finally got the first set of rainbow haired mixed breeds, and majesty in 1985. I think that maybe they were delayed a year just because they were unis and pegs..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:04:36 PM by Ponyland »
My collection at Snupps:http://snupp.it/d8NITq
Instagram: @iPonyland

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »
We had the Rainbow Ponies in 1984 :) I had Windy for Christmas, 1984, and you can tell by the style of their card that they are more like the cards for Bubbles's set in art and layout than the year 3 earth pony set.  And there is nothing cultural in the UK to prevent unicorns or pegasus ponies. If that was a concern, they wouldn't have been in the comic. I don't know what did happen, but it seems to me like a massive cut back on the intended line and the resultant ponies got shipped off to other places, maybe due to cost. Hasbro UK was still in its early stages, maybe they didn't want to push too much too soon. But they didn't need to put them in the comics if that was the case...

But this is off topic, so back to Nirvana backcards ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:46:40 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
fun I have some as well just gotta take pics

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 05:56:45 AM »
My Spanish is so horrible so someone correct me, but the Peruvian card seems quite generic? Are all Peruvian cards with the same paragraph?

Spoiler
My Little Pony

In a pretty land, on the other side of the Rainbow, there can be found a place full of fantastical, lively and happy characters. You have encountered the world of My Little Pony, where life is full of light and bright colours, represented by a wide family of little ponies; each of which are decorated with a symbol that corresponds to their name. They are sold separately, collect them all.

(If I'm wrong do correct me >.>)

I ask because one thing I do remember is that my Spanish Pinwheel has a proper story that's her own and so clearly stories didn't travel, even when card art did..?

I need to share the Rainbow ponies stories from the leaflet that was in with Starshine (customs pulled her off the card......)

Some of the other stories can be read here

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,383470.0.html

It's a mix of stories that the Peru factory created and regular US stories.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
I wish cards like this were still common use on nowdays toys. The water paint is so nostalgic and just pure art compared to nowdays computer made designs and copy/paste type of packaging design.

It was simple and classy. Not nowdays where the packaging itself looks like an actual toy and milions of colours used and flashy-ness. Back then you bought a toy and expected to get what you saw inside. Nowdays the packaging of toys is designed as if they are a part of the toy. Sometimes fooling you because the package looks so fancy and has a background so rich that once you open it you acvtually find out it wasn't that special of a toy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:35:41 AM by Pierlala »
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, PKW - thanks for that. I am in danger of adding nirvana cards to my backcard habit. I am going to blame you for that, and will be sending you the resultant bill ;)

@Pierlala - I agree 100%. The old cards are amazing. Sometimes, I admit, I think some of them are more special to me than the ponies they came with, because they're a rare little piece of the toy's history and so often do not survive in the same numbers as the ponies themselves.

Not that I don't love the ponies, but the cards are special.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
Taffeta it is another rabbit hole  :P

Perilala the art work is just beautiful isn't it?  ^.^

German Starshines backcard

I guess you may have noticed a theme ;)

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
Taffeta it is another rabbit hole  :P

Perilala the art work is just beautiful isn't it?  ^.^

I guess you may have noticed a theme ;)

Love pkw xxx

You like Rainbow Ponies!

I have that card. It's a really beautiful one. 1987 produced some lovely card art. Although mine is Hummelchen, so different story. She is still on it.

I sort of feel that I should be comparing these stories in more detail but that involves a lot more brain work than I am currently capable of.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 03:47:36 AM »

I need to share the Rainbow ponies stories from the leaflet that was in with Starshine (customs pulled her off the card......)

THEY DIDN'T  :ack:   :dumbpc:   :dropjaw:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2017, 04:42:34 AM »

THEY DIDN'T  :ack:   :dumbpc:   :dropjaw:

They did -_- thankfully the pony wasn't damaged, she just had black hand prints all over her and since the card was old the bubble just came away, so the card wasn't too damaged.

I still don't know how she managed to arrive safely without loosing her accessories since the packaged her back up poorly.

Love pkw xxx

Offline Priggipopoula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Moondancer is the best pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2017, 10:45:53 AM »
Quote from: pinkkittywinks
I'd love to see Swirly Whirly on her card :heart:

Love pkw xxx

Maybe isn't the backcard but I think this is still interesting! I found this old advertisement in the Newspaper library of my University

The Sundae Best Ponies was called "Dulce Helado" (Sweet Ice Cream) and Swirly Whirly's name was "Durazno" (Peach)

Moondancer is a mischevous unicorn who loves to surprise ponies!

[Avatar made by my friend Abi-Sua! https://www.facebook.com/sugarshoot/?fref=ts ]

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »

*drool* Such beautiful art.. especially Nachtlicht and Regentropfen :heart::heart::heart:

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2017, 05:25:14 AM »
Quote from: pinkkittywinks
I'd love to see Swirly Whirly on her card :heart:

Love pkw xxx

Maybe isn't the backcard but I think this is still interesting! I found this old advertisement in the Newspaper library of my University

The Sundae Best Ponies was called "Dulce Helado" (Sweet Ice Cream) and Swirly Whirly's name was "Durazno" (Peach)

Hey that's really cool!  Thanks for sharing! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal