collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: *Share your memories of King's Quest!*  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: *Share your memories of King's Quest!*
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »
I have the novels too.  It's been a long time since I read them, but I recall liking the Floating Castle best as well.   :) 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »
I had no idea there were novels.  :shocked: I'ma gonna hafta get me some of those.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: *Share your memories of King\'s Quest!*
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 01:04:50 PM »
I have the novels too.  It's been a long time since I read them, but I recall liking the Floating Castle best as well.   :)
Same here :nods: They made Rosella too.. bratty?, I didn't like it.. XD :lol:
The other one (forgot the name) ..I just didn't get into the story...it was too long and drawn out. The others had a faster pace to me.

Post Merge: August 20, 2016, 01:10:22 PM

I had no idea there were novels.  :shocked: I'ma gonna hafta get me some of those.

Yes! I wish they made more than three.. :) See No Weevil is good, I just didn't like Rosella's character.. :lol:
My favorite hands down was The Floating Castle.. So if you had to get only one, I'd recommend that one.  (Of course the other two aren't horrible by any means.. )
I read Alexander's lines in Robbie Benson's voice.. So dreamy.  :lol: :biggrin: :blush: :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:11:56 PM by Sweet_Stuff »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
4 was my intro to "proper" computer games...I used to spend hours at one of my dad's work colleagues's house playing this. And then I was gifted my own version of 5....wow...I still remember how amazing and exciting it was. I also still remember being stuck at the same point forever lol.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 02:06:14 PM »
4 was my intro to "proper" computer games...I used to spend hours at one of my dad's work colleagues's house playing this. And then I was gifted my own version of 5....wow...I still remember how amazing and exciting it was. I also still remember being stuck at the same point forever lol.

Awesome!
5 was my intro, but I was super excited to play 4 because it had Rosella in the lead..hehe ^.^ Which part were you stuck on forever?
I was too scared to play the night time parts at night and eventually had to use the KQ Companion book to get through the game!  :blush: :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
The novels are soooooooooooo bad, you guys.  Like, "written by a 4th grader who is not particularly imaginative" bad. 

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
The novels are soooooooooooo bad, you guys.  Like, "written by a 4th grader who is not particularly imaginative" bad.

:lol: :lol: Hey!!
 :lookround: :biggrin:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »
I dont recall what one it was but man that stupid scorpion would kill us every stinking time the little  :enraged: :enraged: :enraged: :enraged: :enraged: just ugh!

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »
That's in 7, in the underground section of the desert.

Speaking of 7, I have gone on EPIC rants about some of the logic in that game.  Especially this - in Falderol Valanice needs to get a wheel of cheese out of a fountain. Despite her being roughly the same size as the fountain, she refuses to lean over and get the cheese because she doesn't want to get wet.  WTF Val?!  Your daughter is in mortal peril and you're making me find a stick so you won't get your dress wet?!  Getting wet is about the least of your worries, you know! 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
I do recall being stuck for weeks, months... my sister and I would both puzzle and puzzle over what to do next sometimes. 

I thought we had finished it- but I recently found the walkthrough online and some of the end parts did not look familiar.  Of course it was almost 30 years ago so I guess my recollection may not be the best.

I seriously can't wait for the redone KQ4-  they just released some artwork of Alexander so hopefully sooooon

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 06:44:14 PM »
Did anyone else see the Humble Sierra Bundle?

https://www.humblebundle.com/sierra-bundle

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: *Share your memories of King\'s Quest!*
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »
Did anyone else see the Humble Sierra Bundle?

https://www.humblebundle.com/sierra-bundle

Oh wow, how cool! Thanks for sharing :D
I've never seen this before :)

Post Merge: September 01, 2016, 07:48:56 PM

Speaking of 7, I have gone on EPIC rants about some of the logic in that game.  Especially this - in Falderol Valanice needs to get a wheel of cheese out of a fountain. Despite her being roughly the same size as the fountain, she refuses to lean over and get the cheese because she doesn't want to get wet.  WTF Val?!  Your daughter is in mortal peril and you're making me find a stick so you won't get your dress wet?!  Getting wet is about the least of your worries, you know!

:lol: :lol:

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »

I wouldn't touch the water in Falderol either. :p Also, Valanice is a queen and her queeniness and properness would probably overrule any activity that would mess up her clothing or get her dirty. Although, didn't she crawl through a hole to get into the evil lady with the super annoying dogs' house?

I always had trouble in the nightmare land (I don't remember what that place was called) where you pick up the dynamite to put in the tomb door but I always ended up getting blown up about 20 times as I would try to make my way there. The shadow hound freaked me out for the longest time as well. I loved all the puns on the tombstones, so fantastic.

OMG though the scene in 6 where you play music for the skeletons where you get to go into the underworld was epic. I just about died laughing when that happened.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:14:40 PM by telelle_wings »

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »

I always had trouble in the nightmare land (I don't remember what that place was called) where you pick up the dynamite to put in the tomb door but I always ended up getting blown up about 20 times as I would try to make my way there. The shadow hound freaked me out for the longest time as well. I loved all the puns on the tombstones, so fantastic.

As I recall, the dynamite blowing you up every few steps was a result of the game being made for slower computers.  At least I don't remember having any problem with it when the game first came out but did after getting a new (faster) computer.  It's kind of funny in a rather annoying way - take a few steps, blow up, use the second chance save (or whatever it's called), take a few more steps, blow up, etc. until you finally get where you're going.  The original versions of the first few games had similar problems on faster computers, but there was a way to slow them down.  I remember you could start Graham walking in one direction and before you could press even one more key he would have run through several screens and had probably died by going over a cliff or drowning in the ocean or something.

OMG though the scene in 6 where you play music for the skeletons where you get to go into the underworld was epic. I just about died laughing when that happened.

That may just be my favorite scene in the entire series.  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »
Although, didn't she crawl through a hole to get into the evil lady with the super annoying dogs' house?

YES!  That's my point!  Oh let's not get wet because we might look bad before we dry out, but let's crawl through dirt and bugs and spiderwebs under a house in a swamp (?) because THAT'S not going to stain! 

And seriously, she's standing there being all prissy when she can't find the daughter she loves so much that just seeing her comb makes her cry.  For srs Valanice. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal