collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: *Share your memories of King's Quest!*  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
*Share your memories of King's Quest!*
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »
Anypony remember the King's Quest computer games from Sierra back in the '90s?!

Share your favorite memories! Who's your favorite character, which game is your favorite? Any crazy / funny stories about playing? I loved that series and still do!

My pony friend buttonso made a KQ 5 reference on her FB page recently, and it took me down memory lane! I had a wonderful time playing that series.

My favorite games are KQ4, 5 and 6. I always liked the twins, Alexander and Rosella. :D Actually, I had a HUGE crush on Prince Alexander back in the day. I also loved King Graham's arms.. I mean, WOW.. he was in amazing shape.. Maybe that's where my thing with men's biceps comes from.. hmm.. mmhhh. That must've been a damn good healing fruit! LOL  :lol: :blush: :biggrin:

I still have the original KQ 6 and 7 CD ROMS. (Girl in the Tower is a song if you put the KQ6 CD in a  player on #2!  ;)  ) I remember having my dad help me play the disk version of KQ5 because I was sooo scared to play it on my own!  ^.^ 

A friend at church would call me to get tips from me when he and his bro were playing the talkie version of the game. I remember they were so annoyed with Cedric.!  :lol:

Even as I got older, some parts of that game me freaked me out.. The old forest especially! My best memories come from playing the talking KQ5 though... ahh.. the voices, wow! The music.. Especially 'ant song' ... "Ahh life giving water!" "OOOohhhh watch out Graham, a poisonous snake!" Hey, I never had a problem with Cedric!!  I thought he was cute! :lol: :lol: :P

I eventually picked up the first King's Quest Collection box, which had all six classic games in it, plus both versions of KQ1 - they eventually made a second box that included KQ7. (I let my ex borrow it, and he never gave it back.. I think he sold it..He claims his mom donated it..lol..  :pout: )

I eventually got enough courage to play KQ4 by myself at night.  ^.^ I loved the music in that one!! My dad made a 'gaming computer' out of old parts just for my bro and me, and he put all of our favorite games on it. :) 

At one point, we had and played all eight games in the series..but I never got to beat KQ 2, 3 or 8 through but of course I've seen the endings. Eight in my opinion, sucked! And I kinda wished they made KQ7 like its predecessors. Wasn't a fan of the cartoony graphics.

During middle school, a teacher had KQ6 on one of her classroom computers. One of my classmates learned to love the game, and she'd ask me to be her 'guide' to play it through its entirety. Don't ask me how I did that!  :lol: :P

At home, I did have the hint books plus the KQ guides..they were so much fun to read! :) I haven't played any games in forever, but I'll occasionally watch the Playthroughs of them on Youtube.  ^.^

[Moving to Toy Box - kkat]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:36:19 AM by kaoskat »

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
Re: *Share your memories of King's Quest!*
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »
I ADORE King's Quest. I played up to 7, #8 is dead to me. The music is awesome and the loading-mouse crown is the best thing ever.

I think my favorite was 5 since the graphics, music, and voice!!! were at an amazing quality for the time. So many funny things in that one and so many ways to get totally stuck with no hope.

Did you see the remake versions of the first 3? Epic. You can find them here: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html. So great and they are slightly different from the originals but close enough that they feel the same. As far as I know the 4th remake is just stuck and at this point I have no hope of it ever being finished.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »
I had a friend who played it all the time.  :biggrin:  Your post suddenly brought back a lot of memories.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: *Share your memories of King\'s Quest!*
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
I ADORE King's Quest. I played up to 7, #8 is dead to me. The music is awesome and the loading-mouse crown is the best thing ever.

I think my favorite was 5 since the graphics, music, and voice!!! were at an amazing quality for the time. So many funny things in that one and so many ways to get totally stuck with no hope.

Did you see the remake versions of the first 3? Epic. You can find them here: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html. So great and they are slightly different from the originals but close enough that they feel the same. As far as I know the 4th remake is just stuck and at this point I have no hope of it ever being finished.

Aahh! Yay, King's Quest! Yeah 5 is pretty epic.. it had a little bit of everything in it.. I liked 4 because of the time sequencing as well. I loved when it turned nightfall.. Made it a completely different game. I mainly liked 6 because of duh, Prince Alexander.  :blush: Robbie Benson was THE perfect choice to voice the character..  :inlove:

Oh wow, I need to check that link out! I vaguely remember seeing remakes of 1-4 floating around Youtube.. I remember playing a demo of KQ9.. Geez, I forgot the name of it.. But it was Cloud something or other?? Completely fan made. The plot was pretty interesting.. You play King Graham and start out on the Isle of the Crown on the Land of the Green Isles .. Some evil mist cloud sorcery guy? ( reminded me of the Care Bears and MLP movies  :lol: ) kidnapped Rosella and Alexander, made a heavy rain cloud over the Land of the Green Isles and turned everyone else into stone..reminds me of the same thing that happened in KQ8..but anyways.. :D
I'll see if those seem familiar!  Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Post Merge: August 03, 2016, 01:39:40 PM

I had a friend who played it all the time.  :biggrin:  Your post suddenly brought back a lot of memories.

:D :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:44:14 PM by Sweet_Stuff »

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »
I played King's Quest 7.  I think it actually was part of a set with another game, like you buy this game you get this random game free but I can't remember what original game it came with.  Anyway, I didn't completely solve all the puzzles but I did win the game in the two ways you can.  You have the option to skip to the next level or skip to which level you want.  I did attempt to solve the puzzles first though.  I found an online walkthrough recently which I could watch and see how the puzzles were solves and it blows my mind.  Of course a long time ago our house got robbed and they took all our computer games and King's Quest 7 was one of them.  Are the other games any good?  Are they all connected in some way or are they each completely different stories?

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
I love the King's Quest games!  I think 6 is probably my favorite but I was always fond of 4 as well (5 is right up there too).  I hated 8 though - played it through once and got rid of it.  One of the things that amused and yet frustrated me was how easy it was to die just walking down the stairs in the early games.  Sierra adventure games always did have some really odd ways to get your character killed.  :lol:

Oh wow, I need to check that link out! I vaguely remember seeing remakes of 1-4 floating around Youtube.. I remember playing a demo of KQ9.. Geez, I forgot the name of it.. But it was Cloud something or other?? Completely fan made. The plot was pretty interesting.. You play King Graham and start out on the Isle of the Crown on the Land of the Green Isles .. Some evil mist cloud sorcery guy? ( reminded me of the Care Bears and MLP movies  :lol: ) kidnapped Rosella and Alexander, made a heavy rain cloud over the Land of the Green Isles and turned everyone else into stone..reminds me of the same thing that happened in KQ8..but anyways.. :D

You're probably thinking of The Silver Lining  They released the first few chapters but I think it's stalled now with one more chapter to go.  I was waiting for the entire game to be released before playing it.

I played King's Quest 7.  I think it actually was part of a set with another game, like you buy this game you get this random game free but I can't remember what original game it came with.  Anyway, I didn't completely solve all the puzzles but I did win the game in the two ways you can.  You have the option to skip to the next level or skip to which level you want.  I did attempt to solve the puzzles first though.  I found an online walkthrough recently which I could watch and see how the puzzles were solves and it blows my mind.  Of course a long time ago our house got robbed and they took all our computer games and King's Quest 7 was one of them.  Are the other games any good?  Are they all connected in some way or are they each completely different stories?

Other than 8 which has completely different type gameplay, they are all pretty good.  If you're unfamiliar with older adventure games, you may want to try out the remakes linked earlier since the original versions relied more on typing the commands (and guessing what words the game will recognize then spelling them correctly) while the remakes have mouse controls like the later games.  With the exception of number 8, they all follow Graham's family and do reference things that happened previously, but the games themselves are stand-alone as any background info you need will be presented during the game (usually in the intro sequence).  That does mean you'll run into some mild spoilers for the previous games if you play them out of order though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:13:45 PM by Breyer600 »

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: *Share your memories of King\\\'s Quest!*
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:56:35 PM »
Quote from: telelle_wings link=topic=381072.msg1568410#msg

Did you see the remake versions of the first 3? Epic. You can find them here: [url=http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html[/url]. So great and they are slightly different from the originals but close enough that they feel the same. As far as I know the 4th remake is just stuck and at this point I have no hope of it ever being finished.

Yes! I have seen them before, the graphics are remarkable!

Post Merge: August 03, 2016, 08:09:03 PM

If you played KQ 7, you'll be able to get the handle on the others pretty quick! They weren't broken up as chapters in a book, but one action affects outcomes, this is particularly important in KQ 6; because they made multiple endings to the game's story. :)

All the games are related, but can stand alone as a single story. They all center around the Royal Family of the kingdom of Daventry. Princess Rosella (the blonde character you play in KQ7) is the major player in KQ4, and the daughter of King Graham (who you play in K1, 2, and 5). :) Check out the King's Quest Companion by Peter Spear!  It's a great book!

Post Merge: August 03, 2016, 08:16:10 PM

I love the King's Quest games!  I think 6 is probably my favorite but I was always fond of 4 as well (5 is right up there too).  I hated 8 though - played it through once and got rid of it.  One of the things that amused and yet frustrated me was how easy it was to die just walking down the stairs in the early games.  Sierra adventure games always did have some really odd ways to get your character killed.  :lol:

You're probably thinking of The Silver Lining  They released the first few chapters but I think it's stalled now with one more chapter to go.  I was waiting for the entire game to be released before playing it.

Hahaha, ohhh the stairs! I hated the stairs in 3 and 4!  :lol:

I played 8 a few times, and eventually got rid of my copy too. I have no regrets! XD

Yess! That's it - the Silver Lining! I was thinking the Silver Cloud or something like that..  :lol: :biggrin: I hope they continue on with it! The first chapter demo was pretty cool.

--

I just saw the reboot video game from 2015 on YouTube -- uhhhh, what?! They messed it up! XD
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:16:10 PM by Sweet_Stuff »

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
I'm old enough that I played the original (as in the very first one) when it was new. :lookround: I also bought the collection some years ago.

My funny memory is from the second game. I was seriously breaking into a freaked and cold sweat when I had to slay the vampire the first time. I didn't know if I could type the command fast enough to kill him before he woke up and killed me. (This was when I was a kid who did two-finger, non-touch typing.) :lol: It was intense but I made it!
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 06:30:40 AM »
I'm old enough that I played the original (as in the very first one) when it was new. :lookround: I also bought the collection some years ago.

My funny memory is from the second game. I was seriously breaking into a freaked and cold sweat when I had to slay the vampire the first time. I didn't know if I could type the command fast enough to kill him before he woke up and killed me. (This was when I was a kid who did two-finger, non-touch typing.) :lol: It was intense but I made it!

:lol: ^.^ Hey, age is just a number around here (and in my book!) ;)  :biggrin:
The collection was awesome! I still wish I had mine, though the KQ5 copy in it glitched every time you put the starter item in Mordack's machine! XD

Hahaha, that's how it was like for me playing KQ4 for the first time.. .I tried playing it without any help for a while.. wow..:sweat: The ogre gave me nightmares.. noooo!! :lol:

I tinkered with KQ2 but just got as far as meeting Little Red Riding Hood..  :blush: :lol:  ^.^

Post Merge: August 04, 2016, 06:31:58 AM

Other than 8 which has completely different type gameplay, they are all pretty good.  If you're unfamiliar with older adventure games, you may want to try out the remakes linked earlier since the original versions relied more on typing the commands (and guessing what words the game will recognize then spelling them correctly) while the remakes have mouse controls like the later games.  With the exception of number 8, they all follow Graham's family and do reference things that happened previously, but the games themselves are stand-alone as any background info you need will be presented during the game (usually in the intro sequence).  That does mean you'll run into some mild spoilers for the previous games if you play them out of order though.
[/quote]

^^ :nod: :)

Offline telelle_wings

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »
Ok, so apparently someone is still working on a remake for IV. O.o Found a post about it from Feb 2016.

http://unicorntales.org/kq4-perilsofrosella-remake/forum/Thread-Hear-me-everyone

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 05:53:13 PM »
Ok, so apparently someone is still working on a remake for IV. O.o Found a post about it from Feb 2016.

http://unicorntales.org/kq4-perilsofrosella-remake/forum/Thread-Hear-me-everyone

https://youtu.be/XaUYpeDWB24

^^
Is this it? Ohhh that better not be the final version of Rosella's close up!  :shocked:
:lol:

Offline telelle_wings

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »
I know, right?   :blink:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 08:36:52 PM »
Ooh - I have a very vague recollection of playing (the original?) King's Quest 5 on my dad's desktop in the earlier 90's.  Had no idea there were remakes.

I...  wasn't very good at it.  It was too complicated for me and I was pretty young.  I'd probably be better at it now, though.  :) 
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 05:27:46 AM »
I had KQ 1-7 as a kid, I loved Kings Quest 6 and 7, especially 6. There is so much to love about that game!

I was never very into 1-3 but I have played the remakes recently and really loved them! I hope they'll get 4 together eventually!
Never even played 8, as it didn't seem like KQ to me.

I bought and played through the first chapter of the new Activision KQ based on Grahams early life, but I really didn't enjoy it, it wasn't what I had in mind and didn't capture the KQ feeling for me at all!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 06:17:52 AM »
Ooh - I have a very vague recollection of playing (the original?) King's Quest 5 on my dad's desktop in the earlier 90's.  Had no idea there were remakes.

I...  wasn't very good at it.  It was too complicated for me and I was pretty young.  I'd probably be better at it now, though.  :)

Was it a talkie or did you read the text on the screen? The original game had no voices and was on those little square disks!  :lol: That's the one my dad bought and we played... ( or rather, he played and I watched him. ha! I was too young and scared!  :biggrin: ) Eventually they put voices to it and had it available on a CD-ROM. I would love to play them all again  :)

Post Merge: August 09, 2016, 06:34:54 AM

I had KQ 1-7 as a kid, I loved Kings Quest 6 and 7, especially 6. There is so much to love about that game!

I was never very into 1-3 but I have played the remakes recently and really loved them! I hope they'll get 4 together eventually!
Never even played 8, as it didn't seem like KQ to me.

I bought and played through the first chapter of the new Activision KQ based on Grahams early life, but I really didn't enjoy it, it wasn't what I had in mind and didn't capture the KQ feeling for me at all!

I really enjoyed 6 too.. I felt like the talkie version of that game was the height of KQ greatness  :satisfied:

Yeah, you didn't miss much of 8..  :lol: :lookround: Totally understand where Roberta and Co. were going with that.. but c'mon.. If it's not broke, don't fix it! I would say the same thing about 7... but at least with 7 they didn't totally change *everything..*

About the new KQ game -- Oh yeah? Wow.. Yeah, I saw that and mentioned the new 2015 KQ game earlier... When I started this thread, I had no idea it existed! At first I was like, omg, ewww! What... is...this..? Did anybody else think of Dragon's Lair when they first saw it? :blink: :lol:

I watched a chapter (Once Upon a Climb) last night, I was like, hmm, I'll give it a chance.. Nope.. opinion hasn't changed. How disappointing.... They could have least 1) made the younger Grahams better looking and 2) stuck with the original concept storyline -- hello!! :huh: To me, they ruined what made KQ so great to begin with..And is that Christopher Lloyd voicing Graham?? Eh...  :|

--- How about --- Make a *true* KQ (9) game with Alexander and Cassima in the lead roles?!  :biggrin: :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:34:54 AM by Sweet_Stuff »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal