collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP: Majesty novel feedback  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
MLP: Majesty novel feedback
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
Okay, I saw another member get feedback on his work here, so I thought I'd give it a try. I am currently writing an epic about my little pony G1 character, Majesty, and guest starring several other ponies. I'm trying to get feedback to improve this thing, and any help would be appreciated. You can find the story here;

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11946672/1/Majesty

Thank you for your time,

Firehooves

[moving to A&C Corral ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:31:28 AM by Firehooves »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: MLP: Majesty novel feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:58:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing your work! Looks like the story is in full swing by now, and I'm sorry I didn't have the time to read all of it yet. I'll go back later to read the rest of the chapters. Anyway, here's some thoughts regarding chapters 1 to 4. I'll use the spoiler tag to avoid ruining anyone else's reading experience. ;)

Spoiler
First, some general comments! I like your writing style, it's easy to read with nice variation in sentence length and vocabulary. I like how you can tell a pony's social status by the way they speak. However, I think this is something you need to be careful about - it may be difficult to retain consistency and, at the same time, to avoid overdoing it. I'm not saying you've had issues with this in the first chapters, just reminding that it's something to pay attention to. And the narrator's voice complicates the matter even further, of course. I think here your structuring (if that's the correct word) works very well, though: I like the 1st person and present tense used in Ch. 1 and how Tornado's personality comes through in the voice of the narrator, whereas the omniscient narrator used in the following chapters is more neutral in tone.

So far, the structure of the story appears like something you often see in movies, and I think at some point, if you wanted to, it would be possible to play with the narrator voice even further by disrupting the scene and bringing in Queen Majesty's voice, as if she was actually dictating to Tornado. But it depends on what your plans for the storyline are, and the ending especially... Adding something like that to Ch. 2 or 3, i.e. tying in Majesty's current personality, might help bridge the gap between the ruthless warrior queen of Ch. 1 and the teenage princess of Ch. 2. The queen is narrating her own life story so it would be interesting to know how she reflects on her teenage self. Well, this is just an idea, and like I said I haven't gotten very far yet, so feel free to ignore the suggestion! To conclude, I could say that your combination of G1 and G4 universes works very nicely!   

I realize this will be getting loooong, but here are some chapter specific comments:

Ch. 1
I really like the "plot twist" in the middle of this chapter. The reader is kind of lulled into believing this is just another happy MLP story... and then you show us the darker side of the pony world. Now, knowing what follows, I notice some illogical word choices at the beginning of the chapter, such as "our beloved monarch" in the 2nd paragraph. More generally, too - this is Tornado's point of view, and I found it sightly confusing that he first describes the queen with such sympathy, and then proceeds to mention her fearsome reputation, giving the impression that he too is, in fact, afraid of her? I'm not sure what would be the best way to fix this - maybe the two paragraphs (14 & 15, beginning "Even standing before...") could be modified a little, adding something about the way the citizens of the Dream Valley view their sovereign? I guess what I'm after is a better link between the fact that the queen is being burdened with superficial issues like the disagreement between Glory and Surprise, and her ruthless solutions to problems, shown as out of the norm in the MLP universe.   

Also, there's a syntax issue in this sentence (paragr. 15): And that's the kind of reputation my queen has earned herself [punctuation missing] a reputation as a ruthless warrior-queen who uses force instead of friendship to solve her problems, but rather bullies other ponies into doing what she wants.

A couple of smaller typos or spelling errors:
Paragraph 1, l. 1:  it's --> its (again paragraph 9, l. 2)
Paragr. 9, l. 3: from accidentally repeated
Paragr. 11: do as not to --> so as not to
Paragr. 14, l. 4: oner --> one

Ch. 2
Poor Majesty! 

Paragr. 6, l. 4: Not sure what 'horsemaster' refers to? Their god? Capitalising the word might do the trick.
Paragr. 12, l. 1: fort dash capitalisation missing
Paragraph 18: bowed repeated

Ch. 3
(At this point I got caught up in the story so I don't really have anything to comment on except some typos I spotted along the way. :D )
Paragr. 9, l. 2: tired --> tried
Paragr. 11, l. 2: to --> too (busy)
Paragr. 15, l. 2: int --> into
Paragr. 16, l. 1: governesses' --> governess'(s)
Paragr. 20, l. 1: say --> saw
l. 2: no comma before that
l. 3: the accidentally repeated
Paragr. 22, l 1: she's --> she'd

Ch. 4
Yay, Applejack! I'm not sure about the usage of "A.J." though. Is that what she calls herself? I notice you use the nickname interchangeably with her full name and no explanation is given when it is used for the first time, so to me it seems like laziness on the writer's part, sorry. I would either use the full name Applejack throughout, or add an introductory line, something like "My friends call me A.J." or "You can call me A.J." in the scene where she asks how Majesty knows her name.

Paragr. 18: Syntax issue "...our ancestors called this the everfree, and believed to forest had a will of their own." --> and believed that the forest had a will of its own / and believed forests to have a will of their own (I'm not sure if it was this specific forest that was referred to, or all forests).
Paragr. 25, l. 2: Something missing here? "The darkness the gloom of the shadows" (and the is accidentally repeated)
Paragr. 35, l. 1: aslready --> already (I make the same typo all the time myself, lol!)

That's it, I guess - looking forward to reading more when I have some free time again! :)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:50:56 PM »
Thank you! I shall try to make these changes over the next day or two! ^^

The thing tornado was trying to get across is, Majesty is loved by her subjects, and feared and hated by all other ponies from outside of dream valley

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »
I didn't realize there was more than just the first chapter at first.  Oops!  I'll have to sit down and read the rest when I a bit more time, but I enjoyed the beginning.  :) 

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »
:ninja: looks like next week may calm down and let me read things again.........
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
Sweet! Thanks for taking a look, everyone! ^^ I really appreciate it.  I urge all G1 fans to take a look at it! :)

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
anyone still reading this thing? any new cooments?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 11:56:13 AM »
I'm enjoying it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline suzy.66

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »
No time to read as well but I am very interested to do it when I have some spare time, really cool idea tho :)

Thank you so much to FanRobinHood for my avatar and ZennaBug for my marvelous persona ref !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal