collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your Original Herd and the One that Re-started it All.  (Read 1454 times)

ValhallaLilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Your Original Herd and the One that Re-started it All.
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
So this might take some homework.

Who was in your original herd? And then who was the pony that got you into collecting again? Maybe you never stopped collecting or maybe you had all the original ponies?
For me they were separate times. I had a very small original herd and aside of one G3 pony that I was embarrassed to buy there was a big span between my originals and when I started up again.
Here are my originals. These are my actual ones not replacements of ones. I include the Crimp-and-Curl pony because she was treated as a pony and was included with their playtimes. But the first 4 were bought for me I believe as I have just found an original brush and ice cream barrette for them (!) I think I have a pony bib as well. I'm surprised I don't have more because I apparently kept everything as I have backcards for some other toys. Anyway and the last three are ones that someone was getting rid of when I was about 11 and I was embarrassed even then to want them but thankfully I did get them!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And here is the pony that re-started it. I think I'd been looking ponies up again on-line and then I got her at a garage sale and was so happy to find a "real" one! And I got her out of a box for this picture and was sad to see I haven't even fixed up her hair yet! She's not great cond. Because her hair has been cut I think and her twinkle eyes are scratched but I like her.

I forgot to add that maybe you don't have your originals anymore so you could post pics of which you did have?

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Original Herd and the One that Re-started it All.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
I still have G1  Ruby Lips, Sweet Pocket, and Sunset of my original herd, most of the worldwide-issued G2's, and a handful of G3's that I had when I 'grew out of them'. Once g3.5 came out, I quit buying ponies. But I was out at the shops one day, and came across a core 7 Royal Bouquet, and since I hadn't seen a real G3 in forever, I grabbed her, not really knowing what I intended to do with her, which initially was to leave her MIB and forget she existed. One day I was cleaning the house and came across her, so I went online and had a look for ponies. I believe I found the trading post, and came away with Sweet Stuff (common re-starter of collections I see) and Firefly, possibly from Ianthe? My memory is terrible! But I started collecting again, and now I have around 1000 ponies, and am headed to my first ponycon in the UK in October!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »
My only original herd contained Twinkler and Curly Locks. I also had: Medley,Firefly,Bowtie,Applejack,Majesty, Sunbeam, Lavender with pink hair Ember, Morning glory, Morning glory the mail order, Blossom, Cotton Candy, Moondancer, Glory, Baby glory,Baby moondancer, Baby firefly baby Surprise, Surprise, Baby cotton candy, baby blossom all the accessories they came with, all the mail order Rainbow ponies, tootsie, cherries jubilee, Megan, Sundance and memories get fuzzy by that point. I know I had about 100 ponies at one time.
 I build up from there. When I got back into collecting. I think it was around 2007-8. That is when they had the G3s in mid launch. So I saw them in the stores and bought more from there. I have beyond 1000 ponies now. The one pony that got me back into collecting was Medley.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:24:10 PM by SkyCakes »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
My original herd as far as I can remember is
Windy
Sweet Pop
SS Gusty
Baby Wave Dancer
Shady
Salty
Princess Tiffany
Sweet Stuff
Mirror Mirror
MGR Sunnybunch
Dancing Butterflies
Fizzy
Whizzer
Baby Starflower
Moondancer
Lickety -split
Dazzle Glow

The ones that re started it all were 4.
Sparkle works
Rainbow dash
Denim Blue
Star Dasher
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:34:24 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
My ponies from my childhood:

I also had Baby Bowtie, Kingsley and Baby Glory who were later found at my parents'. You can see them all cleaned up in my cleaning/restoration thread :)

Once I brought all of them back from my parents and started collecting, the first pony I got was Nightglider:

She was just soooo gorgeous and I love everything to do with astronomy, so I had to have her! Still one of my favourites!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »
My original herd consisted of: August Poppy, Baby Cotton Candy, Baby Countdown, Baby Drummer, Blueberry Baskets, Glory, Lofty, Majesty, Mirror Mirror, Moonstone, Morning Glory, Napper, Paradise, Peachy, Raspberry Jam, Star Hopper, Sunspot, Sweet Stuff, Water Lily, Wave Jumper, MM Windy, and the 3 sets of ponytail petites.

Then came the Great Pony Purge where my parents pushed for me to get rid of my ponies in a yard sale. The majority were sold, but I kept Moonstone, Morning Glory, Sweet Stuff, and Water Lily. I missed my ponies greatly and so I bought two more at the store in the next year: Baby Toe Dancer and Sweet Notes. I also picked up two more at yard sales in the next couple years: Sprinkles and Waverunner. A short time later was the second pony purge and all of them were sold.

I didn't get into collecting again until 16 or 17 years later (~2008 or 2009). I started by buying petites. I debated buying G3s for several years and finally bought my first ones in 2014. The one that drew my attention most was Autumn Skye, but I bought Sno Glo first. Then this year, I bought my first G1s since childhood, beginning with MM Cuddles, Fizzy, and Galaxy. I now have ~50 G3s and ~20 G1s.

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »
I couldn't honestly tell you all of my original herd. I still have all of them, as I've never stopped or even paused my collecting. I do know that I am the original owner of my Birthday Pack, Baby Fleecy and Baby Wooly, Ruby Lips, Bootsie and Tootsie, and Baby Sea Princess. I know there were more, but those ones I distinctly remember de-boxing.

These days, they all blur together as "mine" and that's the important part. :)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
I think my original herd was the swan pony twins, mint dreams, party set ponies, then came the flea market finds ever sense. I think the one that restarted it was swirly whirly who went missing and was later found.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
My originals were Firefly, Moondancer, Moonstone, Squeezer, Sand Dollar, and Half Note (plus a petite w/house and a mummy charm). My first pony that kicked off collecting was Powder, just before the G3s started releasing.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 06:46:34 PM »
My childhood herd was very small as my mom told me I didn't seem interested enough in ponies for her to buy them. I do have memories of picking out Sherbet myself and opening her package. I also remember playing with Kingsley the lion as I was going through a phase where I loved animals with tails so I guess she stood out enough for me to have mom buy her. Besides Kingsley and Sherbet I had baby sweet stuff, Raincurl, Barnacle and Tex. I can't remember if I had bbe half note from childhood or another bbe because I never owned the ballet playset originally. This pic is old, but shows my original collection when I got into collecting:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47123940@N06/12213416575/in/dateposted-public/

Only Kingsley managed to come with me when I moved houses and sat atop my bed post for 5 years in my room. I did manage to go back and rescue the others from our old barn at grandmas and find most of their accessories. I did also pick out the dalmation hearts mom and pups as a kid but don't have a pic of them yet. Only the comb is in the picture.
I entertained the idea of getting more ponies years later (2004) and get a bride pony (with a pierced ear complete with earring from her previous owner) and a Princess Tiffany from a lady I did toy trading with. She had found them at a thrift store out in California. I later found a birthflower holly, bowtie and applejack at the flea market.
It wasn't until 2006 when I finally decided to look for more online when I joined the arena and on ebay. I bought a tiny lot with a Party time wearing the top to Neon Lights, and can't recall the rest at the moment. One year later is when I finally took the plunge and began buying off ebay and getting various ponies. I remember anxiously waiting for the mailman to bring my box which consisted of a 6 pack carry case filled with ponies including a goldilocks and peachy. I was disappointed in their dry hair and tried combing them. Then I discovered the magic of conditioning. Cotton Candy seemed to catch my eye for some reason so I guess she could have started my recollecting of ponies.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47123940@N06/12213813444/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47123940@N06/12214020926/in/dateposted-public/

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »
Mmm I'm a G1 gal so among the 14 or so members of my childhood herd were Bow Tie and Shady (they were my first two), Princess Sparkle, Nightglider and TAF Buttons, Little Flitter, Cocoberry and Peppermint Crunch, Foamy... Big Top and Toppy, Honeysuckle (I think that's her name... I should know!), Gingerbread, SS North Star, Braided Beauty and Sanddigger was my last ever pony (wow, I think I remembered them all!)

As to who re-started it all - that's an argument between two ponies.

One could say it was Cocoberry, who became my daughter's fav pony when I presented my then toddler with my childhood herd, fresh from the attic. When I realised I wasn't quite over my ponies and didn't want them ruined Cocoberry and co were reclaimed by me (and substituted with G3's, lol). Toddler was still happy.

Or, it was Powder who (after I'd reclaimed my childhood ponies) was sitting on my local online auction site (since, you know, I started getting curious and googling ponies) and who reminded me of how I'd always like her as a kid. So, blow it, I thought. I'll buy her.

Powder was just the beginning....   :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 08:29:08 AM »
My answer's kind of complicated, haha.

I think I had some G2s when I was reeeeally little - I can vaguely remember having the Magic Rainbow Forest playset - but I can't remember who I had or what happened to them. So I count my first pony as G2 Ivy, who I got later on, around 2005/2006ish probably. I collected G3s for a bit when they were still being released.. my original herd consisted of Twirlerina, Baby Honolu-Loo, Silly Lilly, Tumbletop, Fluffaluff, Tiddly Wink, Cloud Dancer, Spring Treat, Royalette, Cute Curtsey, Fairy Dust, Precious Gem, Summer Bloom, Sunny Sparkle, Sweet Breeze, Amazing Grace, Fluttershy, Wind Drifter, Azalea Bloom and Dollymix Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. I was also really into Ponyvilles and collected them pretty avidly, but then I lost interest after the switch to more anthro figures and then to G3.5.

For a while I still liked ponies, but didn't really collect them. My first G1 was Cool Breeze, I got her a couple of years later. I loved her but didn't really start properly collecting until late 2011. Dollymix G1s came out and I was instantly hooked.

In early 2012, my mum found the G1 Pony Bride at a vintage toy shop and got her as a present for me. I found two G3s (Sparkleworks and Daisyjo) at TK Maxx around the same time and bought a lot of G3s off eBay too.. I went back to the vintage toy shop later, and came back with Baby Applejack, Posey, Little Honey Pie and NBBE Baby Ribbon and Baby Half Note.. and I've been hooked ever since. :D

So - I count G2 Ivy as my first, and G1 Pony Bride as the one who pulled me back in :).

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
My childhood herd is:

Buttons
Wind Whistler
North Star
Twist
Lofty
Magic Star
Peppermint Crunch
Twinkler (Sparkle pony)
Forget Me Not
Tropical Breeze
Morning Glory
Glory
Baby Firefly
Bright Night
Mimic
Gingerbread
Masquerade
Fizzy
Sky Rocket (TE)
Galaxy
Chief
Barnacle
Baby Ribbon
Baby Gusty
Baby Shady
Baby Tiddlywinks
Baby Half-Note
Baby Tic-Tac-Toe
Baby Fifi
TAF Fifi
Sweet Tooth
TAF Sundance & Megan
Up Up & Away
Braided Beauty
Primrose
Tiffany
Starburst
Sparkle (princess)
Bright Night
Cloud Dreamer
Secret Beauty
Tabby
Buzzer
Glow
High Flyer
Whirly
Baby Dots & Hearts
Baby Yo Yo
Jangles & Tangles
Sniffles & Snookums
Water Lily
Misty
Wave Dancer
Baby Noddins

I don't think it was any one pony that got me into collecting, it was more that Aadra310 had a ton of ponies too and we decided to combine our collections and look for more! 

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »
My original herd I actually played with was fakies. I know when I was REALLY young I had the movie version of Firefly because I had Firefly's Adventure on VHS. The fakies got me into the bug of actual My Little Pony collecting. So at the age of 9 (I am 28 now), I was a hardcore pony collector. I was at the age where MLP was gone from stores, so I would scour local flea markets every weekend. The pony that started it was Majesty. She was the first G1 pony I found and I loved her. Then my friend gave me her Pony Bride which I fell dearly in love with....actually, wait.....I traded a fakie for her. So.....my original herd had about 150 ponies in it. It even had a Mimic I bought on the early days of eBay for about $30. I think the rarest one I owned besides her was Tux n' Tails, but I can't remember how I acquired him.

What happened to my original herd? Well at the age of 13, I started to become ashamed of my collection. I was being made fun of for it, so I let my brother sell them all on eBay so we could go on a cruise. :/  I cruise I was sick on the WHOLE time with a serious flu. :(  So the $500+ the ponies made me was a waste. I was so miserable on that boat that when we finally docked back in the US I was ecstatic to get off. I also sold other toys like my Lady Lovely Locks dolls, Keypers, amongst other things for that horrid vacation. I even sold one of my AIBOs, for those who know what that is.

Fast forward two years. The G3s came out. I somehow heard about them on the internet. I don't remember how. I saw them and felt nostalgia and love. They looked just like G1s!  I was 15 and asked my mom if she would buy them for me. She thought I was stupid and it would be a waste of money. It was not. As soon as I saw them in Toys R' Us I fell in love. It was the first wave with Sunny Daze, Kimono, donkey pose Minty, Rainbow Dash, etc. I got them all except Cotton Candy and her playset which I got later down the line. I started going to flea markets again and ponies were much harder to find, but I did find some. I started going on eBay again and joined the MLP Arena. I was part of the MLPTP too but I liked the Arena more. Thus, started to new collection. So my original collection had 150 ponies and I now have over 1,000 ponies. Yes, those G3's started a real problem. :lol:
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »
My original herd started in year 2...I didn't even know there was a year 1 until I found a friend that also collected MLP and she had one or two of them.  I did find them after I started searching a bit, though.  I always wondered who those ponies were that were on the name tags for the Pretty Parlor! :)

I know for sure I had Sunlight, Windy, Twilight, Firefly, Applejack, Moondancer, Baby Moondancer, Glory, Baby Glory...I did end up getting most of the first few years.  I just remember those specifically, beyond Lemon Drop, Majesty and Peachy, because I also had the playsets.  I got the Waterfall at some point, so also Sprinkles.  I learned the hard way to NOT take the ponies with glitter symbols in the water...my original Twilight and Firefly have very faint/worn symbols now.

Who restarted it...I think was a combination of Kimono and Rainbow Dash.  I'm so sad they dropped Kimono...she was so pretty with her purple and purple color scheme.  Once I found them, the pony hunting fever started all over again. :)
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal