collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: International shipping tax  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
International shipping tax
« on: July 19, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »
Shipping a high ticket pony and customs at the receiving country wants 12% tax?! Can anyone point me to more information about this?

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: International shipping tax
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
This is for the buyer to pay. Its called duty tax, most european country and the uk have this. Some times its avoidable but only by ticking its as a gift and writing a low value

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:14:28 PM »
I've always been told its technically illegal to lie about the contents of the package and value, although many people do it anyways. If you lie about the value and something happens you won't get back the real value even if it was insured. Its much better to just be honest.

And never let people try to guilt or trick you into paying their fees. That is completely their own responsibility and I've been told its actually illegal for sellers to pay it. Don't let buyers guilt you into paying this. Most people who buy online in countries with such taxes know about them already and already expect to pay them. And if they didn't know its still their responsibility.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »
It is a high ticket pony. Rapunzel. I had to pay for extra insurance.

Post Merge: July 19, 2016, 10:11:26 PM

Thank you for the information. :)

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »
Even if a pony is not so expensive, whatever comes from outside the EU chances are that you have to pay duty tax,import cost etc. This can be calculated for an indication upfront. And you can be angry if it turns out high but there is nothing you can do about it. You would be more pissed if something happened with the package and you wished you paid extra.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »
This is NOT your issue and NOT your fee to pay! (I'm in Canada, we pay customs too!) Ebay even warns me when I'm shopping that my stuff could be subject to customs. Your buyer should have done simple research about buying internationally online before hand.

People will ask to lie on forms on ebay (mark packages low or as a gift). ebay- don't do it. I do for trades and stuff here since I don't insure etc and well it's more informal between friends. but ebay is like shopping at the store. :)

Now, if you told her you would use USPS and used Fedex or UPS instead- that I would get upset about as a buyer (they charge their own exorbitant fees on top of the government ones. I avoid them like the plauge)

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »
I'm a go between for someone who wouldn't ship internationally to a member here that I've had successful transactions with.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:25:31 AM »
Customs fees are the responsibility of the buyer, and in this case that's the person you're helping. Whenever I've asked someone to be a go-between for me, I pay everything - item price, shipping, customs fees, even Paypal fees. I'll even cover if they need to buy a box and packing materials.  It's only right. The person who is doing me this huge favor should not be out a single penny. 

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 02:22:00 AM »
It's actually 21% tax not 12%. :(

Still waiting to receive her.

Post Merge: July 21, 2016, 02:37:44 AM

And yes. I am the person who Tak helped. I bought many ponies on Ebay the past months and never ever had to pay any custom fees or whatever. I also avoid buying lots on Ebay as they often do have custom fees and extra costs. I did not buy Rapunzel on Ebay but through Facebook with Tak's help. The problem however was that I really didnt know all this. This is my first time buying a pony over 100 dollar and was actually just expecting to only pay for Punzie + Shipping and ensurance. I thought it was the size of the package that mattered hence why lots often come with extra costs. I thought because of the huge box. Eventhough I have been buying Ponies from Ebay for the past months. I am not a super experienced seller or buyer. I thought Punzie is just like any other Pony in size. I didn't know value of the product mattered.

I hope this doesn't knock a dent in my reputation. Because I paid for Punzie and paid everything I owe. Me and Tak have good communication about the matter.

I am still waiting for her arrival as well as the confirmed extra costs once she arrives. Since I have to pay Post NL in cash.

Ps: For those who don't know. Post NL is the Dutch package and mail delivery company.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:50:38 AM by Pierlala »
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 04:20:22 AM »
The tax can differ depending on the item value and also the country it is being shipped to.   No-one is judging you Pierlala - your reputation is ok so don't worry :hug:   
we are just explaining that customs fees are paid by the buyer not the seller, and its not dependant on the size of the item unfortunately. For us in Europe/UK  it can vary but its often around the 20% mark. Not fun !! but if the seller doesn't put the correct value and something did happen to the item while it is on the way to you, the seller would only get the value they marked on the customs form :(
Tak is not the actual seller in this case but she is helping you to purchase the pony from someone else, so she shouldn't be paying the customs tax either.
 I know its a pain how much they charge. I;ve had to import a lot of ponies and dolls over the years from the US and the tax is crazy high for me in the UK like it is for you in the Netherlands. Keep this in mind for future purchases as it can make the purchase really expensive . It's  usually only less if the seller undervalues the item and /or marks it as a gift, but they shouldn't really do this. :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 05:04:02 AM »
It was never the plan to let Tak pay the tax at all. I don't know why that even came up here. I purchased Punzie so I will pay EVERYTHING that comes with it. I merely wanted to share my story here as I was quite shocked by the whole thing. Never expected to pay anything after already buying her.
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 05:21:23 AM »
No one is accusing you of trying to make Tak cover the fees but unfortunately its not all that rare for some buyers to try and force/beg/guilt/etc sellers to pay customs fees for them. That's why people mentioned it.

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »
Just want to make sure this is clear.

Pierlala has been keeping very good communication, we're both rather new still. I'm not and never was saying that she asked me to pay for her. She's been quite amazing and friendly in all our dealings and I highly recommend her for buying, selling, and trading.

I started this thread for information only.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 10:13:54 AM »
Just want to make sure this is clear.

Pierlala has been keeping very good communication, we're both rather new still. I'm not and never was saying that she asked me to pay for her. She's been quite amazing and friendly in all our dealings and I highly recommend her for buying, selling, and trading.

I started this thread for information only.

Awesome!  :rainbow: I was originally worried from reading you were being bullied into paying by an ebay buyer. That happens sadly.

And I'm so sorry Pierlala, customs are no fun to find out about on such a big purchase. Your country should have info (find with google) about customs fees. They are easy to pre-calculate ahead of time that way so you can figure out the total cost of an item before bidding. plus it feels like such a nice surprise (and you see exactly what you saved. :D ) when a package is skipped and doesn't have duty owed.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
I don't think anyone here is accusing you Tak or you Pierlala of doing/asking someone else to do anything wrong :). Sometimes there are additional custom fees for importing goods to another country and sometimes there are not.

I think items under a certain amount are free of customs/duty tax in most countries. I know I have never had to pay a custom yet for anything I've bought from another country but I've only bought from Australia once and Canada a few times.   

Some buyers do ask sellers to mark items as a gift or at a lower value. I even had a seller mark a package of ponies I bought as a gift but I did not ask them to do this.

That being said having to pay extra fees is never fun for anyone so I can see where it would be a shock to find out you have to pay extra when you weren't expecting it.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal