collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: COMPLETE! Little Ponies Lost (A G1 Pony Fan Novel)  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
COMPLETE! Little Ponies Lost (A G1 Pony Fan Novel)
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:58:51 AM »
I have completed the first chapter of a G1 fan novel.  I'm looking for feedback on story, characters, and spell and grammar checks.

Check it out.
Google Doc
Fanficton.net

[moving to A&C Corral ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:04:56 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Little Ponies Lost (A G1 Fan Novel)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:10:05 AM »
I have completed the first chapter of a G1 fan novel.  I'm looking for feedback on story, characters, and spell and grammar checks.

Check it out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B60i6pK795HEbUFJdlFUYUhMRlk/view?usp=sharing

More please
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:10 PM »
More is coming.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:24:19 PM »
I like your characterizations! Of course, it helps that a lot of the ponies you used (read: Wind Whistler) already had a strong one in their original runs.
Nice work.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:05:35 AM »
Ooo, intriguing! I look forward to reading more!

The only out of place thing I noticed is one line you put Surprise when you meant Sparkler, I think.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 03:14:09 AM »
Thanks for picking up on that.  I fixed it.

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »
This is very good. A suggestion or two but otherwise very, very delightful to read. I am excited to see where you take them.  ^.^

Page 12:

Wind Whistler ran up the stoop and inside. The earth pony pulled the door
closed, and it was with the door clicking [heavy click] that Wind Whistler [felt] relieved.

Page 16: It feels that if this is the wording you wanted that there should be some more punctuation to denote starts and stops of sentences combined in her surprise.

“What did are you tried to do?!     ----->     "What did─ are you─ tried to do?!

Page 25:

The orange earth pony who looked like an exact copy of the Element of
Honesty from a hundred years [prior] sat next to Cherries Jubilee.
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
I made the edits, thanks.

And thank you for enjoying this.  I've had this idea for a while.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 06:57:48 PM »
This ended up getting super long, so I stuck my critiques, comments and what not in a spoiler tag. Remember, you asked for it!

Spoiler
-This may be a weird critique, but I felt like the ponies weren't suspicious enough of their tail ribbons. It had been established that Wind Whistler, at least, did not have a ribbon before the transportation. Something or someone must have put it on her. To me, that's way creepier than having been transported to another planet. Yet the issue is never addressed, and the ponies continue to wear the ribbons. I'd be more suspicious if I was them.

I turn, I became suspicious of the costumes and other articles that are established toyline accessories, but you covered those quite nicely by establishing Truly and Skydancer's occupations, and Magic Star's hairpiece being her wand.

- A lot of time is spent describing the ponies, down to their body color, hair color, and the hair's curliness. This makes the writing more awkward to read, like I have to stumble over the descriptors before getting to the point of the sentence. As I'm not a pony myself, I'm not sure what the etiquette on describing a pony's color when she's introduced, ;) but in stories about humans, I usually find fewer descriptors until the character is established, or at least named. I assume it's be similar for ponies.

If it were me, I'd say either what color the pony's body is OR what her symbol is as the only descriptor (plus her species) like, "a white unicorn opened the door," or "the pony with the bird symbol shrieked." Later, once the ponies are named, THEN I'd describe more fully what they look like.

I like how the introductions clearly took place "off-screen," as that would have been tedious to read. Good on you!

-pg 5, p 5: "Sci-fi stand for science fiction as in not real."

This sentence should be broken up with a comma or two. if you read the sentence out loud, it'd come out as one breath, which would sound weird.

Another on page 6: "Real life can be so boring I wish I could live all the stories I read."  You could even use a semicolon on that one, but they should be used sparingly. (I love semicolons, but all my creative writing teachers hate them, and I can see their point.)

-pg 5

I love both Surprise and (Bowtie?) yelling "Than you" for totally different reasons!  :lol: Thinking about it, I haven't seen that joke before, or if I have, I sure don't see it often.

I'd write it as "THANK you!" or "Thank you" for emphasis. My brain reads it as an actual polite "thank you" otherwise.

-I smiled at Heartthrob on pg 8, "Of course I would find the bathrooms," in that "why does this always happen to me?" tone. Just that one bit of dialogue and I glean so much about her character. You might consider using italics, as in "Of course I would find..." or "Of course I would find..." since you described her tone as "overly dramatic." In fact, you might not even need the descriptor of "overly dramatic," as the fact that she's even complaining about it says volumes.

-pg 15, p 10 (starts w/ "That's odd," )

Accidental use of "allowed" instead of "aloud."

-pg 16, last paragraph: " 'You're deranged!' She put particular emphasis on that final word."

The last sentence is completely unnecessary. The italics and the exclamation point already show her emphasis.

- I'm intrigued about the concept of ponies not having clear-cut roles in Equestrian society, despite (or because of) their cutie mark. It's something I've wondered about myself in the G4 era.

-pg 25, p 3: Cherries Jubilee, a pony with "a heavy curl in coral mane and tail..."

I assume you meant to put a "her" in there.

-pg 26, p 3

Used word "realties" instead of "realities."

-pg 27, p 11 (starts with "Lofty, the yellow pegasus..."): "Skydaner, the ballerina still in costume, raised hers."

First of all, misspell of Skydancer.
The sentence is awkward. I think you're just missing a comma, as in "Skydancer the ballerina, still in costume..."

-pg 28, p 2: "she would not be weighed down by recently food"

-pg 28, description of the servants' quarters:

So far, your descriptions of rooms, castle features, etc have been just right - not too much, enough for readers to visualize. However, the description of WW's sleeping quarters is excessive. You don't really need to give the exact dimensions of the room and especially not the exact layout of the furniture - unless, of course, the layout of the furniture plays into the story somehow. You can let the readers use their imaginations here, and besides, most people reading this would know the basic layout of a bedroom.

All you'd really need to say is "the room was small, just large enough for its furniture," then go on to list the furniture. Mention the lighting and the window.

It felt like there were too many lamps for a "simple" servants quarters, but then again I can't think of a decent reason a servant shouldn't own more lamps, so that's a very small critique. Just me trying to reduce words in the paragraph, an exercise I often have to do with my own writing. That way, the paragraph could be just as brief and functional as the room itself. :)

The sentence about the window has a minor plural error: there is one window, but the curtains are "drawn over them."

I really love that last line in the paragraph. It's cozy and says a lot about Wind Whistler.

-pg 29

This is a really personal choice, but when the ribbon reties itself, I'd include a sentence like "It must have been enchanted" to remind readers that those types of things are commonplace in the story. But then, you might have more faith in readers who chose to click on a My Little Pony story! When I was reading it, I found myself thinking "why isn't she more freaked out about that?" and had to think about it and remember the kind of story I'm reading. I guess it's just myself I don't have faith in. :P

-pg 30, p 1

Use of the same adjective ("neat") in two consecutive sentences. I'm not sure if that's a problem to anyone else, or just me.

-Regarding accents:

Some authors like to spell word phonetically to convey a certain accent or twang. Others maintain that this is too invasive, and that one should simply say what kind of accent the character has, leave the dialogue untouched, and leave the readers to hear it themselves if they chose. I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, Truly's accent is kind of hard to read. On the other hand, it's kind of fun, too. Maybe go easy on the "uhs" at the ends of words? They're the ones that were hardest to get used to. It's really up to you, though. I don't think there are established rules on the subject.

-pg 31, p 4, "sapient" life

Did you mean sentient? Sapient is a word, (congrats on throwing a new word at me!) but I'm not sure they necessarily need to find "beings of wisdom" - unless you've heard the word used to mean "intelligent?" All I used for this comment is dictionary.com, so, yeah. I' assume you knew what you were doing, but figured I'd mention it just in case!

-pg 31, p 7: "Wind Whistler basically had to stand up to form the back of the line."

What?

-pg 32 (after the star break)

The paragraph about the way landscapes work is really beautiful. The sentences flow from one to another while at the same time we imagine the terrains flowing one into the other. Great voice, great paragraph.

Only complaint is that she is technically describing Equestria's terrain - are you telling us this because the terrain on this new planet also follows those same rules, or because it doesn't? There's no connect between what she's used to seeing and what she sees now.

That mesa simile was fantastic. *insert "when you simile just right" meme*

So far, what I want to praise most is that the story gets right to the action and isn't mired down with history or exposition - that kind of thing can always come later. Often, fics that connect different generations of ponies try to explain everything first so the readers know where they're coming from, when really the way to engage us and keep us coming is with more story and good characters - like you've written here!

I'm sucked in and I hope you have more waiting for us!

I'll put something here some time

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »
Thanks, I'll make these edits tomorrow morning.

And more is coming.  Though, I think I'll wait a few days before starting a new chapter to give people a chance to make their suggestions for edits.

Ponies do take note of their coat and hair color due to it being their defining traits.  They're almost all described, so the descriptors will be falling away to names, pronouns, and more basic descriptions.

I'm glad I've drawn people into this story.  It's an idea that drew me in.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »
Where are you planning on posting this Al?

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 02:24:42 AM »
The first chapter is on Fanfiction.net.  I will also post it to that site once I'm a couple more chapters in.

EDIT:

Regarding the sapient/sentient thing.  Sapient is often used to describe intelligent life and is considered an important distinction from sentient.  Sapient can be taken to make "thinking" and sentient can be taken to mean "feeling."  There are several animals, particularly mammals, that are able to convey emotion but are not necessarily think in that they can grasp abstract ideas.

There are some ponies that use sentient to describe intelligent life.  There is a point in the story I have planned where Truly says she's sentient meaning she is intelligent.

As for not freaking out too much about the tail ribbons and the fact they can tie themselves.  These ponies come from a world saturated in magic and have just found themselves on another planet with two moons, rings, and chunks of ice falling out of summer thunderstorms.  A ribbon that seems to be doing no harm and can tie itself is about the least freaky thing to happen to them today.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:36:57 AM by Al-1701 »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 06:49:55 AM »
The first chapter is on Fanfiction.net.  I will also post it to that site once I'm a couple more chapters in.

EDIT:

Regarding the sapient/sentient thing.  Sapient is often used to describe intelligent life and is considered an important distinction from sentient.  Sapient can be taken to make "thinking" and sentient can be taken to mean "feeling."  There are several animals, particularly mammals, that are able to convey emotion but are not necessarily think in that they can grasp abstract ideas.

There are some ponies that use sentient to describe intelligent life.  There is a point in the story I have planned where Truly says she's sentient meaning she is intelligent.

As for not freaking out too much about the tail ribbons and the fact they can tie themselves.  These ponies come from a world saturated in magic and have just found themselves on another planet with two moons, rings, and chunks of ice falling out of summer thunderstorms.  A ribbon that seems to be doing no harm and can tie itself is about the least freaky thing to happen to them today.

Ooh! I'm on ff.net! What is your username?

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
Same as here.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »
I'm really interested in reading this. It sounds great.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal