collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fair Recap from Fair Staff  (Read 7439 times)

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
Re: Fair Recap from Fair Staff
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »

I spent $20 bucks on the raffle. I was really hopping to win and I did win at least once. It does get disappointing to see the same people win over and over. It would be awesome if everyone had a fairer chance to win something. We need a better system. :-P

It's impossible to make a raffle fair. If I buy 200 tickets to your 20 of course I'm going to have a better chance at winning. I won the very last prize. Between my mom and I we spent $20 on tickets as well. It's just a combination of how many tickets you buy and the luck of the draw. You could very well buy $200 in tickets and never get your name drawn.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
I keep telling myself not to say anything about the fair as it was my first but overall I left kind of disappointed and disheartened. Don't get me wrong, I'm still so happy that I got to attend one but there were many times I felt so overwhelmed or frustrated. I do want to thank everyone that made me feel welcome as so many were friendly. I appreciate the fair staff and thank them for all that they do! It is a huge undertaking to orchestrate such a momentous event. It is the Mecca of pony fans! I hope that I am able to attend future fairs and that each builds on the others each year!

Hotel
I liked the hotel even though it was on the pricier side. Having two weddings at the same time though literally cramped the fair's style lol. Even though I wasn't in the fair block, I still received the special keys when I mentioned attending the fair. It was nice to get the water and coffee discount. Really wish the rooms automatically came with at least a fridge though as we brought most of our food to reduce money on eating out. Even though I could not swim due to my recent surgery, the pool looked nice (but did it have a hot tub?). I liked the Sapphire Pavilion but it was freezing in there!

Vendor Area
Not to beat a dead horse but the vendor hall was way too small! When I finally made it in there it felt like chaos (Discord anyone?). I have anxiety and just starting to look through booths had me almost disoriented, thank goodness my fiancé was there to help and ground me. It felt very hard to shop in the crush. I feel that the more crowded booths that were on the entrance half should have been dispersed throughout the room including the back because then the room could've been a bit more balanced and easier to shop through even with the amount of people. I barely looked through tubs on the floor given I constantly felt in the way.

Sales
As far as actually buying, like many have said, I felt as though many vendors had items overpriced compared to recent sales online, etc. I was expecting "collectors" prices meaning people knowing what things were worth but found many overpriced items. For me buying was the most disappointing due to this and of course not finding what I was looking for given many things left on my list are harder to find items. However, even the not so HTF items weren't there or were more expensive than the market seemed to be. Granted, I understand supply and demand, no shipping, and being able to see things firsthand, but there was at least one vendor that comes to mind as misquoting online prices for a less than mint item almost rudely. That attitude made me skirt that table altogether. Some I think were just overpriced for condition. Most vendors though were fantastically wonderful to talk to! I loved putting faces to online user names even though I could not remember real names lol.

I wish I could've spent more time looking through the G3s just because I probably could've finished my collection but the crowded tables made it hard to see what everyone had, so don't give up on G3s, there are still people who want them. Also it was wonderful to see so many G2s!

Art, customs, and other Wares
As for art and customs/wares, I love this aspect of the fair! Rosesare's items were some of my favorite purchases! I purchased multiple prints from different artists and there were multiple things that I had wanted but either the seller ran out or I ran out of money! There were 2 customs that I really wanted but they sold before I could buy them. It also allowed me to see people's work so I can figure out who I want to commission for my wedding cake topper. To the booth with the bracelets with molded miniature ponies and the one thst had embroidered key chains of baby ponies, I still want your stuff but ran out of money!

Other Events
Sadly, I did not make it to any of the special presentations even though I really wanted to. I was either too immersed in shopping, missed the time or they were at the same time as someone else! I really wanted Summer to autograph my G1 book and I wanted to find a Cotten Candy for Bonnie to sign but didn't :(. I also wish I could've been there for the pre-meet and greet but my surgery prevented that. I just felt pulled in so many directions! I kind of found the games lacking. They did not seem well organized and had fairly few in attendance. I was really hoping for symbol/cutie mark bingo. I did not participate in the game room as it always seemed empty with only little kids and crafts. I liked the showing of the MLP movie and the hall of fame dinner especially.

Attendees
There were quite a few very happy children that got to go to the fair that I talked to and hope that the fair continues to allow these customers to be able to attend.

Fair Shop
Also, I know there is another thread on this, but that exclusive, really? A copy of an already planned not-exclusive with a pretty box and open eyes? Definitely would not have purchased a package had I known the exclusive...sorry Hasbro but no soup for you. I did love the fair stores posters though! I need to buy so many poster frames for art and prints, it's not even funny.

Overall, I wish that I had gotten to know more people and visit with them longer. I also wish I could've visited with people outside of the fair like playing games or eating together for more socializing.  I get many already have established friends but getting to know more people in the community is great, especially if you don't live very close to others.

PS Having a lanyard instead of a bracelet would have been nice for getting to know people because we could write our real and online names or maybe just a name tag lol. Another thing I thought of was maybe an announcement when other things like presentations are going to start. I don't know if that's feasible but I felt like I was buried in the vendors hall most of the time and always lost track of time and ended up missing things. Also, how did winning the scavenger hunt work? No one could tell us how it worked because they didn't know. We spent a lot of time at it but at the awards ceremony, they just announced the winners and moved on.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:45:42 PM by nessa16 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline wyndeboo

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »
   I did not get to go this year, but I have been to Nashville 15' and Providence 08', and I loved both of them. Summer and her team do an amazing job, one that I couldn't even imagine trying to accomplish.

Going to the fair has always been kinda magical for me. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Surrounded by all the ponies and amazing collectors. I try to go to a fair with no expectations and just enjoy the atmosphere and friends. There are not many collectors in my area, so when i get to attend, the fair is pretty special for me.

So I just wanted to say thanks to Summer and her staff for putting on this event and I look forward to being there next year.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
The game room did play pony bingo from like 2:30 to 3:00 on Saturday.  However, for the most part it was arts and crafts.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2016, 12:35:52 AM »
first thank you to summer and all fair staff for even wanting to do this every year. fact is they do not have to do anything for anyone at all and we should all be grateful they even bother. also i am surprised they do not hold it in there own home state to cut out traveling time for them.

vendor hall: yeah it was small and hard to shop but you have to deal with what you got. i was floored but the amount of "other country / non usa" ponies this year. I spent the most ever at this fair and came home with ponies from 12 different countries, was stuff overpriced? sure some of it but i see that every year BUT on the other hand i got a greek pony for 20 bucks !!!!!!! so it all depended on what table you went to . also this is the first year i have EVER seen that amount of pony merchandise for sale, in the end i had to stop buying as i had no room to get the stuff home. I got home with ponies in my purse !!!! i dont go to the fair to make money, honestly i go to get rid of stuff, i bring stuff with me that is NOT coming home.  95 percent of my booth was 1 dollar, on sunday it was 2 for a dollar, by 4 o clock i put out my free sign and went to the awards ceremony. selling at the fair is not my job, going to the fair is my vacation

game room: im glad it was smaller this year, that way it did not need so much staff and volunteers to run it

presentation room: i went to the merchandise panel and a group of people walked in, stood in the middle of the room and started talking loudly. that was flat out rude and clearly done on purpose

raffles: if you want to win buy more tickets. i think the fair needs raffles every year to bring in more money to help them out. this was the first year i bought 40 dollars of tickets and won 3 times.  i got called 1st and took the crystal empire castle because i kept hearing that little girl chant repeatedly they she really wanted it. i wanted to make sure she got it. i was so shocked when she ran over without hesitation to the surprise painting and ran to me with it !!!! i could not believe it.  want to hear something funny? my sister said "ok if i win do you want the painting?" and i said no" cause i thought it would get damaged getting it home on 2 planes, 2 buses and the metro system. thankfully it made it home ok

gossip / rumors : there is things i hear every year...but this year was the first year i truly felt down, depressed and felt alienated. I won 2nd place in the parade of booths this year. i was surprised considering everything on my booth was 100 percent homemade. it was not until after the award ceremony some people approached me and said "well you didn't think you would take 1st this year did you?" and "you didn't win cause you are not part of the "in" group" it all made sense to me later when i thought about it.  only pony collectors voted this year, there was no public people voting, so in a sense there was no "unbiased voting" as in "no people who didn't know me or my standing in the pony community"  it was then i realized and was told again by certain people that they voted due to popularity and not craftsmanship of the booth.
it is not the end of the world to not win 1st, im grateful i won 2nd or at all but to be "hurtful" and  "hateful" because i am not in the top 10 percent of the pony popular people is something else.... it really brings into question if i should even bother. i do my displays to see the kids faces when they walk up to my table, that is why i pick g4 to base it from. when they recognize it and freak out that makes it all worth while.

Offline Gypsy

• Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+184)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • VNCToys.com
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 01:50:05 AM »
Again I want to say thank you to Summer and all of the fair staff for continuing to do this for us! I had a wonderful time, and can't wait till next year!

I totally agree that at some point you have to cap the attendance, happens with all cons in time. Especially if we want to keep it at a hotel instead of conventions centers, and love the idea of bring costs back down a bit.

I also am fine with the vendor applications. I was okay with the vendor room, but I am small and stayed behind my table most of the time. I am just thrilled I made it this year. Like others, sales vary year to year (happens with all cons). My sales were okay I thought. 

The fair has the best vendor support and advertising of any con I have been to! Most cons don't advertise their vendors, and they could careless despite the money you pay. I am truly thankful to have a vendor room at the fair to buy and sell at. I love to be able to see what I am buying and save on shipping.

I try and stay away for the drama, there is always something, you just have to moved past and enjoy yourself, and not let it consume you. If you have concerns ask if is true ask them.

Can't comment on presentations as I missed them, and I don't think I left the vendor room.

It is always wonderful to see everyone and meet new friends, thank you!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:17:02 AM by Gypsy »

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+352)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2016, 02:05:19 AM »
gossip / rumors : there is things i hear every year...but this year was the first year i truly felt down, depressed and felt alienated. I won 2nd place in the parade of booths this year. i was surprised considering everything on my booth was 100 percent homemade. it was not until after the award ceremony some people approached me and said "well you didn't think you would take 1st this year did you?" and "you didn't win cause you are not part of the "in" group" it all made sense to me later when i thought about it.  only pony collectors voted this year, there was no public people voting, so in a sense there was no "unbiased voting" as in "no people who didn't know me or my standing in the pony community"  it was then i realized and was told again by certain people that they voted due to popularity and not craftsmanship of the booth.

Reading this honestly makes me sad. Yes, there will always be people who vote for their friends, but saying that you shouldn't expect to win solely due to popularity of other participants is rather immature on the part of those commenters. :huh: Your booth was amazing & I certainly hope you continue to make your fantastic decorations in the future.

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 04:52:01 AM »
Drusilla does have a point Summer.  There has been an undercurrent of drama along those lines in many areas, and not just this year.  It has been that way with the pony community for as long as it has existed.  It doesn't start or end with the fair contests, it just gets carried over by a small handful of individuals to there.  It's not even just ponies, it's pretty much every collectible community.  Some collectors for whatever reason often feel they need to establish a 'pecking order' and many hurtful things, spiteful things are said or done to try and belittle others.

And Drusilla, your booth was lovely.  Dr. Suess said something wonderful that I keep to heart with things like this and want to share with you.  He said he didn't write for kids.  He wrote for himself.  If kids and adults wanted to read and enjoy his writing, then so be it.  Seeing a smile is a win in any situation.  When I went to drop off my painting, a little toddler stopped crying to stare at it.  By the time another art table had been brought in, the baby was not in tears anymore and was pointing to the ponies, and that was my 'personal' real win. 
Every person, every item makes any gathering special or unique.  Don't be disheartened. 

One other note... the raffle.  I liked the single box this year.  I think it was the better move than individual boxes.  My husband and I bought 15 tickets and my other booth helper, Liz, bought either 5 or 10.  She didn't win anything, 3 of my tickets were drawn, and inbetween the three of mine that were called, Summer's little boy won too.  I made sure he got to pick his prize (one of the staff didn't realize he actually had won and almost wouldn't let him choose) and then once he picked, I chose my two remaining.  After getting back to the booth, I let Liz pick a prize of her choice first from the three and then took the two that were leftover.
It was a LOT more than 5 winners.  Many gifts were shared, both during and after.  In a regular lottery, you can buy a million tickets if you want.  The person that buys one may win.  Alternately, the person that buys 15 may win 15 shares of the prize if they had the winning numbers on all the tickets.  I feel bad that not everyone can win, but the tickets we bought amounted to almost exactly the shelf price of the two items I kept, and honestly, it isn't right for anyone to make anyone else feel badly for having won.   

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:53:48 AM by Sugarberry »

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2016, 05:20:31 AM »

We come to the fair first and foremost as something fun to do, to meet up with our pony friends, and to indulge our (my kid's and mine) hobby, not in expectation of a profit (because until we pay for hotel, tickets and booth, and the original cost of the items for sale, we are already in the red no matter how much we sell! But somehow I convince myself that the money we take in can go toward buyng from othe vendors heh heh). For us, it is a given that it is going to be an expense to go to the fair, period. It's our vacation, not our avocation.

At any rate, DB (kid) and I both support re-focusing on the collectors/smaller aspect even if it means less sales.  We've attended every one since 2008 except the Las Vegas one, and vended at every one since the Louisville fair, and although we love our no-profit cash sales--lol--we miss the more congenial feel of the smaller fairs. This year felt more like that to us, with enough extras going on to make it interesting. Wasn't able to attend any, but if not vending would have wanted to do everything!

On the other hand, there are those who collect and come to the fair for the cameraderie, but *also* sell to make ends meet or at least cover the expense of going to the fair. I can totally respect the need, therefore, for enabling maximum possible attendence (be it 1000 or another number).  And I do like having random well-supervised children around enjoying the heck out of themselves.

Also, not being able to purchase tickets at the door is kind of sad for those who can't know until the last minute if they can make it, or who find out about the Fair late (people who aren't as active on the forums and social media). Hopefully it can be made clear that certain accomodations can be made under certain conditions?

How do you balance these needs?

I think lowering the cost of a table is a good start, if that can be done as Summer mentioned hoping to do, and making the location as easily and cheaply accessible (airports, necessities of taxies, free parking, etc) as possible. I also have no problem with a vendor application.

Obviously, not everyone is going to be happy with whatever changes are made or venues are chosen, but I do have complete confidence that Summer and her stupendous volunteer gang have their priorities straight--trying to meet the "convention needs" of the MLP pony collecting community. I applaud their successful efforts year in and year out to make it all work out. We "heart" you guys!

FWIW, my favorite venue so far *as a vendor* has been the Nashville one, with doors to the (free) parking lot right outside the main vendor room, and rooms with other activities right in the same general vicinity.  Not sure how convenient it is airport wise for thise who fly in, though.

Oh and one last thing--looooooved the Friday early vendor set-up. And the post-dinner staff sale.

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2016, 05:30:36 AM »
I have to agree with that last comment- early set up was awesome!!! It was so nice not being all sweaty the day of fair after setting up booths - so thank you for that!!!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2016, 01:47:12 PM »
Thank you for the note Summer. I think this sounds great. Also, thank you to all of the staff that work so hard to make this great event for the community!

I have been attending the fair for years but this was my first year as a vendor. I am finally trying to make some space in my collection so I can properly display and enjoy my ponies. I was so grateful that so many of my ponies went to new happy homes. I hope to bring more of my collection next year to find new homes (Goal for 2017... G1 ponies and Accessories!) My main complaint about the size of the space was how cramped it was between the tables; I was bumping into the vendor behind me and felt bad, other than that the intimate space was fine. There were so many AMAZING panels this year, I wish i had more time to go to them.

I greatly look forward to the next fair (hopefully I can drive again... 28 hours was surprisingly fine. ;D ) Please keep us in the loop as much as possible about next year's fair so I can properly prepare. ^.^
~Foxtale~

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 02:43:41 PM »
i loved that all  the raffle tickets got put into 1 box and you could go up and pick what you wanted,  that is genius

also early vendor set up was the absolute best decision ever !!!!! so amazing

summer and fair staff honestly host it in your back yard or as close as possible to you guys to make it easier for you.  you know wherever you have it pony people will show up 

Offline Wysteria

• MOC Crazy!
  • Trade Count: (+115)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • http://www.katzponyshop.ecrater.com/
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
i loved that all  the raffle tickets got put into 1 box and you could go up and pick what you wanted,  that is genius

also early vendor set up was the absolute best decision ever !!!!! so amazing

summer and fair staff honestly host it in your back yard or as close as possible to you guys to make it easier for you.  you know wherever you have it pony people will show up 

I feel the complete opposite about the raffle. I liked last year and all the other years where you could pick what you wanted to put your tickets in for. I was busy trying to break down my booth during the raffles and hubby had no clue what to pick for me. I spent $45 and won 4 times. I'm quite shocked/excited about that cause I usually don't have good luck with raffles:) There's no way to make it fair. I've spent $500 on one at Breyerfest and not won and $80 another year and did win. It's the luck of the draw. If you want more chances to win, buy more tickets plan and simple;)

I loved the early vendor set up! If you want to do a vendor application/limit booths I'm fine with that. I know the fair will never be back in Chicago where I'm local enough to make 6 trips home to bring more stuff. Only reason I even bothered with so many tables was in hopes of clearing out my storage room..aka my 2nd bedroom in my apt that I want to turn into a collection room. I can only afford to upgrade my collection by buying lots. I save almost everything all year long just to bring to the fair each year. If the fair is scaled down to focus on just collectors no one is going to want or need anything which seems to be the consensus here. I thought sales were pretty average, last year was better because people could actually dig in my cheap bins. I don't go just to sell and leave. Had my health not been an issue friday and sat I might have been able to spend more time with people:(

I still had a lot of fun seeing everyone and putting more faces to my Facebook friends:) A big thank you to all the fair staff for making the fair happen for us each year!

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »
I'm really not in favor of limiting tickets. Not just for lack of sales, but for the casual collectors to enjoy as well. If only collectors are allowed to attend, who is going to but fireflys and cotton candies? I sold three cotton candies last years to kids and none this year.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
That is the problem I could see happening.  I started collecting because of the Fairs, even though I had gone for the panels and other events.  Making the Fair more exclusive will also limit the amount of people who can attend to see the special guests and other panels.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.