collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for book recommendations, please!  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Looking for book recommendations, please!
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »
Hey there!

I'm heading book shopping on Tuesday, and I'm looking for books to read!  I get a bit overwhelmed when I visit my local Indigo Books - they keep reorganising, and I get all disoriented and never know what to buy. :huh:  I really love high fantasy, YA or otherwise, and anything with a strong dystopian flavour to it.  Can anyone drop a few recommendations?  Recent books I've read and absolutely adored include:

Dies the Fire (and the eleven books after it in the Emberverse series), by SM Stirling (strong contender for favourite books of all time, no joke)

Vampire Academy (and its sequels) and Bloodlines (and its sequels), by Richelle Mead (and I just bought her The Glittering Court with high hopes)

Partials (and the rest of that sequence), by Dan Wells

The Sweep series, by Cate Tiernan

The Iron Fae books, by Julie Kagawa (didn't enjoy her Immortals books quite as much, oh well)

The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss

and Throne of Glass (and the others so far in that series), by Sarah J. Maas.

That's just this past little while; I'm looking over my bookshelves and I also see the House of Night series, all the Cassandra Clare books (except Lady Midnight), Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, Hunger Games books, and a passel of nonfiction I won't even get into.  Just to give y'all an idea of which way my reading compass leans.  So yeah, please feel free to let me know what this voracious reader should sink her teeth into next! ^.^  Thanks!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for book recommendations, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
Have you read the 5th wave book series yet? I just started, but they seem good. I can look on my kindle and find some more as I always get what my students recommend since they now know what I enjoy. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:33:49 PM »
Have you signed up for goodreads.com? I love that site, you rate what you have read, and they recommend books based on your preferences. It's so addicting!

Bommels

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:03:38 AM »
I've been recommended The Kingkiller Chronicles on the grounds that I love love love Robin Hobb's Assasin's Apprentice, so maybe the recommendation goes both ways? ;)

If you're into romance, vampires, werewolves and sassiness, I'd also like to recommend the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carrigher. Don't forget to have a cup of tea while reading!  ^.^

Keemax

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »
Personally I'd recommend any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.  ^.^
There's over 40 to choose from and you don't have to read them in any particular order. While they are fantasy novels they also cover a wide range of other genres (always including humour). I, unfortunately, have yet to read all of them but I'll try to sort the ones I can remember off the top of my head into themes/categories below.

- Crime/Mystery: Feet of Clay, Maskerade (that may not be the correct spelling), Snuff

- 'The Death Collection' (explores the adventures of the character 'Death'): Mort, Soul Music

- 'The Unseen University Collection' (explores the adventures of the faculty and, on occasion, the students of a Wizard University): Interesting Times, The Lost Continent

But if you aren't sure and just want to read something that will introduce you to all of the topics/themes and his general writing style, then I'd recommend picking up his first two novels 'The Colour of Magic' and 'The Light Fantastic' where the latter is an immediate continuation of the former.

Terry Pratchett's novels are also considered to be critically well-received, so if you ever needed to reference an exemplar text for a report, these would work just fine  :)

Offline Storybelle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
Unf, I back up the suggestion of Goodreads. My book want list has tripled since I signed up there.

Here are my suggestions!

If you like fantasy I suggest 'Snow like ashes' and 'Queen of the tearling.' The first is YA, the second is not. Both have well made fantasy worlds, interesting female heroines (especially Kelsea of 'Tearling') and are great at dragging you into the world and story. Ooh almost forgot 'Red Queen' by Victoria Aveyard.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I will read these books until the day I die. It's a fantastic futuristic retelling of fairy-tales, including Cinderella, Snow White and Rapunzel. I read the first two in the series in two days. Could not put them down.

Some other favourites of mine are Kiera Cass' the Selection series, Kendare Blake's Anna dressed in blood and The Lie tree by Frances Hardinge.

Oh and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I have literally never identified with a fictional protagonist more.

Kanchii

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 04:56:41 PM »
The Hollows by Kim Harrison (first book is Dead Witch Walking) is THE BEST

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 06:13:36 PM »
Ooooooo... somany really good-sounding suggestions!  Thanks, everybody!  I've got a much better idea now of what to keep an eye out for. ^.^  I'm sure my trip to Indigo's gonna be great!  (If pricey...!)

Thanks, also, to those of you suggesting Goodreads - idk why, but I always forget about it... :blink: Just naturally spinny, I guess! :lol:

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
Anything by mercedes lackey; its all fantasy stuff, she has i think 3 major seperate worlds full of series and a few smaller ones not tied into those? Some of her stuff is classed as YA, but i think most of it is in the regular fantasy/sci-fi section.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
Another good method of finding books is to use Amazon's recommendations based upon what you own, like, and have read. That's how I've discovered many books & authors.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 04:28:31 AM »
Fablehaven

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:24 PM »
Hmm...

The Maze Runner books are more dystopian and far, far better than the films, IMHO

Fantasy/Sci-Fi:

Christopher Pike's Thirst/Last Vampire Series (though I prefer the first 3)
Frewin Jones' Faerie Path Series
Kiera Cass' The Sire
Alex Flinn (Beastly, Kiss in Tine) also writes good fairy tale fantasy.

I second the Mercedes Lackey recommendation.  I'm also partial to Neil Gaiman.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 08:24:29 AM »
The Faerie Path books by Allan Frewin Jones are great YA, so are the Stravaganza books by Mary Hoffman. If you want darker YA fiction, try the Lost Voices trilogy by Sarah Palmer.

If you want to try some dark, fun historical fiction, go for the Poisoner trilogy by Sara Poole!

For my favorite YA dystopian novel ever, hunt down a copy of Sherryl Jordan's Winter of Fire or see if you can find at your library, it's out of print. It's on eBay for around $26 - well worth it! I have occasionally found it at used book shops.

Offline SilverHorsey

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I am made of horses and ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
"The Glory" by Lauren St. John is a gripping read about a 4000 mile horse race across US wildest countrysides. I loved it :)
Formerly known as bigmylittleponyfan

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »
If you haven't read the Dragon Lance series, it's a must for High Fantasy. The series may look intimidating, but you really only need to read the first six books in the series (they're the main story -- all other books are spin-offs or fan fiction). And I, of course, strongly recommend Goodreads as well. :) Here's my Goodreads profile if you want to glean any ideas from it: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2384499-kirsten-rodning

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal