collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide Soaks versus Sun Fading  (Read 14973 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Hydrogen Peroxide Soaks versus Sun Fading
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:07:51 AM »
I'm doing some sun fading this weekend which got me thinking about this.  I still see a lot of questions and concerns about peroxide soaks and the erroneous belief that nothing can be done for pony cancer.  I thought I'd post what I've observed over the years, in case anyone finds it useful.

Hydrogen Peroxide Soaks

Works well when the pony's pores need to be cleaned out
Often safe on ponies who burn during regular sun fading

Use for:
 - discoloring from scents (works great on discolored perfume puffs, but once their hair fades it's difficult to dye)
 - discoloring from smoke
 - pony cancer
 - large blotchy stains
 - mildew stains
 - sometimes helps with head/body discoloring
 - usually safe for glitter symbols
 - can be used for overall whitening

Downsides
- dries out hair and the hair won't hold a curl as easily after exposure
- may remove pearlized paint (TE eyes, pearly bodies, etc.)
- reports that it hardens the pony's body, but I've never had this happen, my thoughts is that maybe it cleans out the platisizer, which would have leached out on its own anyway
- will damage mechanical parts
- destroys magic message pony symbols
- makes chartreuse hair bleed color onto anything nearby
- you can't cover the pony, so if you decide to expose to sun as well, fading can happen, I've only had problems with pink and red hair fading, not other colors

Does the pony need to be exposed to the sun while soaking?  It seems to me that it works faster when used together, but I'm currently experimenting with this to see if it makes any difference.  In theory, if the peroxide works by cleaning out the dirt that has caused the stains, then the sun wouldn't be needed.

Sun Fading

Works well for staining that has soaked into the pony's vinyl
- pen and ink stains, even sharpie
- highlighter stains, saddle sores, those bright pink marks ponies are so prone to getting
- can be used for overall whitening

Downsides
- fading of hair, eyes, and symbols can happen if not covered, red and pink hair fade especially quickly when exposed to the sun
- if you cover the pony in aluminum foil, this can stain the body yellow

The main reason I wanted to post this, is that I have absolutely cured pony cancer with peroxide soaks and I want people to know that it can be done.  I think restoration is all about doing what makes you enjoy your collection more.  For me, I would rather have slightly dry hair than brown blotches on my pony's face.  Others may prefer something different.

Any restoration technique can cause damage, so whatever you try do it carefully.  I hope this is helpful.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide Soaks versus Sun Fading
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
I've done some of each but likes reading this, I'm curious did you do anything different to help get rid of the cancer spots with peroxide.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Seachanger

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »
I'm curious too. I did the hydrogen peroxide soak with baby Moondancer who had big discoloration splotches and she came out totally nice. But years later the same areas darkened again to brown. I guess I could do it again?
Thanks devonshireRed for the avi!

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
I just leave them soaking in a clear jar filled with peroxide, usually in the sun.  I've got some soaking out of the sun right now to see if it works just as well.

I'd like to change the section of my website that talks about pony cancer being incurable, if others have had good results with this.  Right now, I only know of myself and one other person who use it consistently specifically for cancer.

As far as the Baby MoonDancer.  I suppose it depends on what's causing the stain.  If it's a discoloration of the vinyl, versus an actual stain, then I suppose it would come back with time.  There's so many reasons for 30 year old toys to discolor, there could be lots of explanations.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »
I have had success as well. I stick to using it on cheap common ponies that I hid in a box due to how terrible they looked- but have a use in my collection. Why pay shipping on a upgrade CF blossom when I can fix my nasty one? That way if something freaky happens to them in a few years- I'm not overly heartbroken.

My only concern about stuff being so promoted is the people who now view it as basic cleaning, thus nothing to keep track of or disclose during sale. This is a RESTORATION so a pony is no longer original, and will never be mint even if it looks that way. the pony should somehow have an identifier as a reminder for what was done to it- to preserve the value of ones collection. (I use some white thread at the base of the tail to mark it as treated by H202). I mostly stopped buying ponies from collectors/pony resellers years ago due to getting bit with undisclosed restores sold as Mint or NM.

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
Do you need to take out the Pony hair before putting her in a peroxide bath?
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
Do you need to take out the Pony hair before putting her in a peroxide bath?

That's up to you.  I usually take out their tails, but re-hairing their mane is too much of a pain for me to want to do it.  So much so that I'd rather re-pink hair as needed then having to do a re-hair.  I struggle with how short original manes are when trying to use it for re-hairing.  I'd rather just give them a heavy conditioning after.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide and sunlight doesn't seem to be helping fade the glue stains on my deflocked SS Paradise :(  Been out for 2 weeks and no difference. How long does it usually take to fade say pen/marker marks in hydrogen peroxide in the sun?

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide and sunlight doesn't seem to be helping fade the glue stains on my deflocked SS Paradise :(  Been out for 2 weeks and no difference. How long does it usually take to fade say pen/marker marks in hydrogen peroxide in the sun?

I don't know about glue stains, but I think regular sun fading works better for pen and marker stains.  The less direct the sun is in your location, the longer it takes.  Some people report it taking months in cloudy areas.  The sun is very intense where I'm at and I can do it in a day or two, but many places are not that lucky.  Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen quickly when exposed to light, so if you're in a cloudy area and need to use it for an extended time, you may need to dump it out and replace it periodically.  I don't think we know enough about this method yet to know if prolonged exposure puts the pony at a higher risk for bad side effects.  If everyone keeps posting your results, I really want to learn more about what other folks are observing.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »
I've used a combo of Hydrogen Peroxide and Sun for a Baby Moondancer with Cancer or something of the sort..
It worked but then the brown blotched came back :( Not as bad but yeah.. Note it maybe took a year for the blotches to fully show back.. I didn't keep an eye on how long it took
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 07:21:37 PM »

I don't know about glue stains, but I think regular sun fading works better for pen and marker stains.  The less direct the sun is in your location, the longer it takes.  Some people report it taking months in cloudy areas.  The sun is very intense where I'm at and I can do it in a day or two, but many places are not that lucky.  Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen quickly when exposed to light, so if you're in a cloudy area and need to use it for an extended time, you may need to dump it out and replace it periodically.  I don't think we know enough about this method yet to know if prolonged exposure puts the pony at a higher risk for bad side effects.  If everyone keeps posting your results, I really want to learn more about what other folks are observing.

Yeah, I actually tried getting the glue stains out by just sunfading her all last summer and no difference so thought I'd try the peroxide soak. Might end up baiting her if I can't get the stains out :(

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »

Yeah, I actually tried getting the glue stains out by just sunfading her all last summer and no difference so thought I'd try the peroxide soak. Might end up baiting her if I can't get the stains out :(

What about painting over the glue stains?

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 05:38:15 AM »
Hey you are stealing my thunder, haha.  I just completed an exhaustive study of pretty advanced pony cancer on one Fire Chief and have achieved almost complete remission using methods including peroxide sunfade (ok the other method is boiling a long time).  I took complete pictures and will be posting them with a log of what I did, for how long, etc.  I had what looked like 100% "cure" but when I sanded off the resultant raised "scars" I was left with a little touch of color that I mostly, but not completely got rid of with more peroxide sunfading.

All that will be posted in my pony cancer thread which currently only discusses a much less advanced case that resolved completely but, lacks in progress pictures...

What is relevant for your thread here is that I tried for over a week soaking in peroxide in the dark and got zero result in affecting the leftover spots exposed by sanding off the "scars" left behind from boiling...but when moved into the sun, those spots faded almost completely after a week.  I considered re-boiling to attempt to finish off the spots, which I suspect might work, but I feel my Chief has had just about enough.

Also the yellow hair on Chief was affected by peroxide soak, in the sun with foil over it...faded considerably.  The blue part was turned purple in the little bit at the ends that the foil wouldn't stay covering.

One question I cannot answer :  Is there any good mask that works for covering the symbol paint in the peroxide?  Everything I could think of would be affected by the peroxide and just contaminate the bath.  Also I was told that glitter symbols are damaged by peroxide but you state above they are not, are you sure?

Thanks!  Nice working on this problem in parallel with you.

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
Cool!  Do you mind if I add your info to my website once you get it posted?  My answers are below.

Is there any good mask that works for covering the symbol paint in the peroxide? - Masking tape?  I haven't had trouble with symbols or hair fading (except for pink and red), but I've never left mine in the sun form more than a couple of days.

Also I was told that glitter symbols are damaged by peroxide but you state above they are not, are you sure? - I don't think it never damages them, but very often they come out just fine.  It probably depends on how good of condition the 30 year old glue holding the glitter on is in.  I think heat is worse for  them than the peroxide itself.

Thanks!  Nice working on this problem in parallel with you.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
****Edited to add:  I may discuss this too casually so I want to be VERY CLEAR:  the methods I describe here are for ponies that are completely lost due to pony cancer!!  Very drastic.  Will almost certainly have unforeseen long term consequences!!  I get lost in enthusiasm for saving ponies and forget to emphasize this so please consider it emphasized!!

Sure especially if you credit me, and I'd like to add a link back to your work from my pony cancer thread too.  My 'case study' is closer to mad scientist than scientific so is best combined with the work of others to have meaning anyway.

I wanted to take a scientific approach, with specimens cut from the same pony (even the same spot) under several different strictly controlled sets of conditions and observe carefully for as long as it took to collect hard data but, when I saw a centerpoint spot fade off of my Bright Eyes during boiling I couldn't resist jumping in with both feet and started boiling things until spots disappeared....long boiling led to the need to re-whiten so I added peroxide sunfade and noticed additional fading to the cancer spots...damage to the colors led me to try dark soaking which didn't work for me, but i only tried dark for a week and observing no results switched back to light.

I began with dissection and found that the spots (which I am starting to call colonies because I am increasingly convinced they are bacterial colonies from their growth patterns and what happens to them when they are boiled) seem to originate in the center of the material, not the surface, and I wonder why they progress more in the center of the material even once they have met the surface...anaerobic maybe?  Considering this, I wonder why would soaking in peroxide be effective without boiling, if that is the case?  When you see them disappear from peroxide soaks alone, how long have you observed them not to return so far? 

When I boil them long enough to fade their color, the pony material changes shape directly over the colony...raises a little bit.  I call that "scarring" and consider it evidence supporting a biological source as opposed to chemical source which shouldn't respond such to boiling, at least in my limited understanding of petrochemicals.  When I sand off the raised area, the outer ring that was originally light brown remains clear (pony-colored) and in the most advanced colonies, the center point which was dark reveals a light brown spot that did not clear after additional peroxide sunfade, but it's not certain whether that light brown spot will respond to more boiling....less advanced colonies cleared completely and sanding did not reveal any more brown and in one example, did not even leave any dark area when observed with a light behind the material.

Anyway I look forward to collaborating with you more!  Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:58:06 PM by lostpony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal