collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever struggled with the love for your collection? Story Time  (Read 3422 times)

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
I haven't been active on this forum or the MLPTP in couple years. I was real active when I first got into customs and when I realized I could have all my childhood ponies again. It was this odd feeling, this joyous excitement that I hadn't had since my childhood. I hadn't realized it had been gone until I felt it again. It shocked me when I realized it. I have several MH dolls and even a couple BJDs, but nothing gives me the joy and peace that MLPs do/MLP does, for whatever reason. I love the new show, but the G1 and G3's just light me up every time I see them online or in a thrift store. As an artist, when I first saw custom MLPS, I must have jumped for joy, straight out of my chair. I thought they were/are BRILLIANT. I love them. So I started buying up MLPS from the thrift store and looking for my old ponies online-- and I went for it full force.

After I started to get a certain number though... I become more and more reluctant to tell people and I started to hide them. One or two seemed ok to display, like I was some hipster, but then when I started to take up shelves... I started to sweat. I kept wondering: "Is this getting out of hand?" "How much money am I spending?" "Am I wasting money? Is this a problem????"

I ended up moving four times in two years (which is why I've been absent-- I apologize if I left anyone hanging!), so I had to pack up my questions and my ponies for a long time. The stress of the moves and the family issues we were experiencing at the time, unfortunately triggered my PTSD. My PTSD has sadly fluctuated throughout my life as mild anxiety to severe anxiety/break downs and with everything going on, emotions and anxiety were high. While my fiance and I were temporarily living in a friend's basement with a ton of our stuff in storage, I had found myself collecting ponies again, and they helped me. Seeing them, looking for and collecting them, having them, customizing them, it all comforts me. In fact, a technique for people with PTSD is often to list off things during an attack, either names, numbers, or colors for example, as a form of therapy to move thoughts back into the logical side of the brain and guess what? Ponies are PERFECT for that. As you know, MLP merch is so diverse, I could keep myself busy, mentally, for a week. I list of how many blue ponies I have, how many G!'s etc

Well, things have settled down. I had re-focused on "adult things" and my writing career, and I started to feel guilty about my ponies. They were sitting in boxes and bins, packed away again like my childhood. I debated on whether to get them out or just sell them. My fiance was strongly against selling them. In fact, anytime I've ever thought about selling any of my ponies, my fiance is the first one to say "No. You love your ponies. I love that you love them and I would never want you to regret anything."

With writing and my plethora of other hobbies, I was feeling like i needed to cut something and again I brought up getting rid of them. My fiance told me to leave it for a while and I did. We found a free shelving unit and I put my ponies out and I loved it, until I had some people over to show them my art studio... which is where the ponies are. It's tough to see a friend's look of concern/surprise/confusion when they see my pony collection. They never say anything mean or anything, but sometimes the silence is enough. :sad:

Then I think about how ponies were meant to be children's toys and the ball of guilt and questioning starts rolling right down the hill of doubt. I found myself struggling with the questions again: Is this out of hand? Am I spending too much money etc . . .

And then I saw this article: http://narrative.ly/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-embrace-my-my-little-pony-obsession/

Not only did I "oo" and "aw" at her beautiful photos and her beautiful-self, but I loved her story. I have a partner who is supportive like hers and she reminded me that it didn't matter what anyone else thought. She filled me with inspiration and I became active on the forums again and started some new customs. I don't know her online handle, but I wanted to say thank you and to share my story.

What's your story? How did you come into collecting? Do you have doubts or internal debates?

Thanks for taking the time to read! :hope:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
That article story is extremely sweet.   It is sad that many of us don't feel as confident displaying our collections as much as say, Transformers collectors or comic figurine collectors do.  But I think it's in part because of how little girl toys are viewed compared to other toys.  Girl toys generally don't get labeled as "cool".

And do I ever feel self-conscience?  Sure do.  It doesn't matter because I'm not going to change my favorite things.  I will say I don't really like to display much of anything because of dust and anything resembling clutter.  So my displayed collections are small and my boxed collections are... quite large.   :shocked:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SilverHorsey

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I am made of horses and ponies!
    • View Profile
I was a child in G3 era and I remember I liked them, though my mum bought me only 2 ponies because they were so expensive. My love for these ponies has gone on for years and I dreamed about getting more of my childhood ponies. Then I discovered MLP Arena and thanks to this place I realised I had a few antique ponies at the bottom of my toy boxes and I could trade them for ponies I want. It was 2 years ago when it all started and now I pick up any My Little Pony I see in the thrift stores and trade for my dream ponies. I don't have much of them yet, but when I always open the cupboard where they stand in, I get that feel of joy and happiness, somehow :P

Only my parents and my best friend know about my hobby and fully tolerate it, but I've had people still looking confused even after I explain them that this is like collecting model horses(my other hobby) and many adults do it worldwide. Somehow, collecting model horses seems to be more "normal" than collecting toy ponies...even tough it sometimes makes me feel bad about it, I just try to ignore them, because it's not their business and I love doing what I do :)

You shouldn't worry about it either, not everyone has to understand it, the main thing is that YOU love doing it :)
Formerly known as bigmylittleponyfan

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
I was a child in G3 era and I remember I liked them, though my mum bought me only 2 ponies because they were so expensive. My love for these ponies has gone on for years and I dreamed about getting more of my childhood ponies. Then I discovered MLP Arena and thanks to this place I realised I had a few antique ponies at the bottom of my toy boxes and I could trade them for ponies I want. It was 2 years ago when it all started and now I pick up any My Little Pony I see in the thrift stores and trade for my dream ponies. I don't have much of them yet, but when I always open the cupboard where they stand in, I get that feel of joy and happiness, somehow :P

Only my parents and my best friend know about my hobby and fully tolerate it, but I've had people still looking confused even after I explain them that this is like collecting model horses(my other hobby) and many adults do it worldwide. Somehow, collecting model horses seems to be more "normal" than collecting toy ponies...even tough it sometimes makes me feel bad about it, I just try to ignore them, because it's not their business and I love doing what I do :)

You shouldn't worry about it either, not everyone has to understand it, the main thing is that YOU love doing it :)

Aw  :lovey: That's great. I was a little quieter about it at first, like I said, but now my mom brings ponies home for me from the thrift store and so do her friends, lol and they all get so excited about it. Hehe. Even still, sometimes I still ask myself "Is this weird?"

Do you collect breyers? I have some retired breyers that I've been thinking about putting up. I used to collect grand champions too. I think you're right, people are more accepting of realistic looking horse models and toys than they are of fun, colorful little ponies. And I think @brightberry had a point as well, people tend to also be more accepting over boy toys-- like model cars for example.

Thank you so much for your story and your encouragement :)  I hope your collection grows!

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
I stopped collecting toys when I was 14..beacuse of thinking it was lame and uncool..and haveing crushes on boys
I thought they would think lesser of me and think I was a child if they knew so I packed it all up.

So when I hit my 20s I was trying to collect something..I tried sea shells, candle holders, orca whales, Gothic items, sonic the hedgehog.

But none of it really kept my intrest.

So in 2010 when my brother got into G4 I did too.
But after a while I was thinking I miss the days when I had G3 and G1s.
So one day I was at the store and I saw this retro firefly shirt and I asked my mom for it..beacuse i did not have a job. She said I'm not spending $7 on a thin shirt.

Reminded me of when I tried to collect when I was 9 years old and mom refused to buy any used toy. She bought me the G2 magic motion set off ebay MIB.. but it was not the same as G1 so the only G1s where what I had when I was a baby but that's long gone.

I was denied a paradise at a flemarket that was 25 cents.. mom said no beacuse the didn't like the man and the pony was ruined she said her hair could never be brushed out.

Anyway..I got a bit upset being told no at age 22 that I can't have yet again a pony. So I took things into my own hands I started selling a ton of things that I had from dolls to candle holders I made about $500 on ebay in just 3 months.

My first buy was likity split, heart throb and baby hearts n dots.
Then I bought a lot of 6 off ebay. Then I found a few thrift here and there then I went to craigs list found a lot of 16..then a lot of 50 G1 for $25. Then trading then selling then buying.

Within 9 months I aquired about 200 my little ponies being G1s.

I am 24 now and still collecting. Slowly adding to my collection. I collect what I like the most..I'm not a nervanna collector or a collector of just rare ponies. I just collect what I like.

And I can say that ponies have changed my path in life.

They took me out of a place of darkness and still do. The took me out of a bad relationship. They sorta guided my path to where I am now. Between tragitys and wake up calls.
They gave me the kick in the butt that I neded to wake up.

Post Merge: June 22, 2016, 12:22:05 PM

Have I been hurt by others down this path?
Yes I have it seemed that my brother collecting was more acceptable  than mine.

No one thought he had a mental problem but I sure must have a cording to some family and out side of that. I was hurt by a older sibling saying that I suffered emotional tramma or something so that's why I collected..but to my face it was a free to be you thing.

My parents where kinda ok with it..I just had to tell them that I am ok. I just neded a hobby..

I've had people over to the house that thought I was insane and figured I was just weird and had problems.

I've had people right out attack me screaming at me, yelling at me to leave the house and take my ponies and get them out!
Name calling belittling abuse. Over little pieces plastic.

It never stopped me. I never really cared..it just hurt that people are blinded by the wall they see..they want to see Thair truth and belive that I am crazy beacuse it gives them something to use agest me. Or that they need the intertainment of gossiping.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:22:05 PM by LightingElectricDream »
:accomplished:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Brilliant, post, thank you so much! I also have PTSD and reviewing lists of ponies is very calming and good as are all the other activities associated with my collection.

It's considered totally cool for guys to collect things, build model trains etc.  I think reactions to MLP is a really interesting insight into views about gender our society and I am thankful that the MLP arena exists and that we can discuss it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:48:39 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
The article is MLPForever: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379712.0.html :) great article

I'm not in-your-face with my collecting (unless you're in my house) but I've never purposely hidden it. Hubby has supported since day 1 too, and he's always told me not to sell them anytime I've gotten worried that they are taking up too much space or we might be able to use some money. With re-doing the pony room I'm going to be sorting and purging out some, but this time it's my choice, and only those that I'm really ok with letting go. He doesn't want me to give up any that I'll regret just because I feel like I "have to". But there are some ponies and items that I'm not connected to that are just taking up space and should move on to someone that will appreciate then.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
I stopped collecting toys when I was 14..beacuse of thinking it was lame and uncool..and haveing crushes on boys
I thought they would think lesser of me and think I was a child if they knew so I packed it all up.

So when I hit my 20s I was trying to collect something..I tried sea shells, candle holders, orca whales, Gothic items, sonic the hedgehog.

But none of it really kept my intrest.

So in 2010 when my brother got into G4 I did too.
But after a while I was thinking I miss the days when I had G3 and G1s.
So one day I was at the store and I saw this retro firefly shirt and I asked my mom for it..beacuse i did not have a job. She said I'm not spending $7 on a thin shirt.

Reminded me of when I tried to collect when I was 9 years old and mom refused to buy any used toy. She bought me the G2 magic motion set off ebay MIB.. but it was not the same as G1 so the only G1s where what I had when I was a baby but that's long gone.

I was denied a paradise at a flemarket that was 25 cents.. mom said no beacuse the didn't like the man and the pony was ruined she said her hair could never be brushed out.

Anyway..I got a bit upset being told no at age 22 that I can't have yet again a pony. So I took things into my own hands I started selling a ton of things that I had from dolls to candle holders I made about $500 on ebay in just 3 months.

My first buy was likity split, heart throb and baby hearts n dots.
Then I bought a lot of 6 off ebay. Then I found a few thrift here and there then I went to craigs list found a lot of 16..then a lot of 50 G1 for $25. Then trading then selling then buying.

Within 9 months I aquired about 200 my little ponies being G1s.

I am 24 now and still collecting. Slowly adding to my collection. I collect what I like the most..I'm not a nervanna collector or a collector of just rare ponies. I just collect what I like.

And I can say that ponies have changed my path in life.

They took me out of a place of darkness and still do. The took me out of a bad relationship. They sorta guided my path to where I am now. Between tragitys and wake up calls.
They gave me the kick in the butt that I neded to wake up.

Post Merge: June 22, 2016, 12:22:05 PM

Have I been hurt by others down this path?
Yes I have it seemed that my brother collecting was more acceptable  than mine.

No one thought he had a mental problem but I sure must have a cording to some family and out side of that. I was hurt by a older sibling saying that I suffered emotional tramma or something so that's why I collected..but to my face it was a free to be you thing.

My parents where kinda ok with it..I just had to tell them that I am ok. I just neded a hobby..

I've had people over to the house that thought I was insane and figured I was just weird and had problems.

I've had people right out attack me screaming at me, yelling at me to leave the house and take my ponies and get them out!
Name calling belittling abuse. Over little pieces plastic.

It never stopped me. I never really cared..it just hurt that people are blinded by the wall they see..they want to see Thair truth and belive that I am crazy beacuse it gives them something to use agest me. Or that they need the intertainment of gossiping.

It was similar for me. I stopped doing a lot actually when I got to the tween/highschool age. I wish I hadn't. I dropped a lot of interests and hobbies just to chase boys and be cool. This lasted till sometime after university when I finally started to figure out who I was again. It's crazy how we seem to travel away from ourselves and then come full circle back.

I think it's so strange that your mother and family support your brother's interest in MLP G4, but not always your interest in MLP? I mean... I've seen and heard so much about boys in the hobby who've been picked on, bullied, one guy had his car busted up and was threatened and called gay (which is wrong on SO many levels) and yet, here you were just enjoying a hobby that so many others do, a lot of whom are women. I am so sorry that other people have treated you in such a way! Just for having a COMPLETELY harmless hobby and a fun one!

I think you're really brave and I appreciate you sharing. I don't think you need a trauma or mental issues to enjoy ponies. I started collecting them for the love of them, for that feeling of youthful delight, not because of my traumas. It was only later that I realized they helped.

Thanks again for sharing and inspiring me to keep collecting :)

Post Merge: June 22, 2016, 07:00:15 PM

Brilliant, post, thank you so much! I also have PTSD and reviewing lists of ponies is very calming and good as are all the other activities associated with my collection.

It's considered totally cool for guys to collect things, build model trains etc.  I think reactions to MLP is a really interesting insight into views about gender our society and I am thankful that the MLP arena exists and that we can discuss it.

Thank you. Though I am sad to read you have PTSD as well, I am glad we both have found a wonderful hobby that we not only enjoy, but helps us.

I am thankful for it too! I was feeling pretty lonely in my hobby even though I had support. I've got BJDs as well and they have meetups, but I just love the pony crowd. I was going to look and see if there was an MLP group or meet up that happened in the GTA (I'm in Canada) somewhere, but otherwise, I'm happy to socialize through the forum and meet other pony lovers here  :lovey: Thanks for your reply!

Post Merge: June 22, 2016, 07:07:06 PM

The article is MLPForever: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379712.0.html :) great article

I'm not in-your-face with my collecting (unless you're in my house) but I've never purposely hidden it. Hubby has supported since day 1 too, and he's always told me not to sell them anytime I've gotten worried that they are taking up too much space or we might be able to use some money. With re-doing the pony room I'm going to be sorting and purging out some, but this time it's my choice, and only those that I'm really ok with letting go. He doesn't want me to give up any that I'll regret just because I feel like I "have to". But there are some ponies and items that I'm not connected to that are just taking up space and should move on to someone that will appreciate then.

Thanks for the link and letting me know who wrote it! :D Thanks for the reply as well ^_^

I am not in-your-face either, though I am planning on sneaking in some pony apparel this coming year. In fact, I'm ordering a mini skirt with Fizzy Pop on it that I painted  :frolic:^_^  The majority of our pony collection lives in my art studio/office, so unless people come upstairs, they don't see it. A couple of my geeky-related friends know I love ponies and don't think anything of it, but I tend not to show it off to say--my fiance's family, lol. I don't hide it from them, but I don't go out of my way to tell them ;) I do share my customs on Facebook though.

I'm way more open on Tumblr. I have a pony posts all over there and don't mind sharing there since it's so pony friendly.

Thanks again for sharing!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:07:06 PM by WaterRaven »

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
Cute article. And welcome back! I'm a bit of a lurker now days. My current boyfriend is always telling me I shouldn't sell my ponies. But I haven't really been interested in collecting them like I used to. It's been 2 years of me just sitting on the fence about selling some and the passion not coming back. I've always rather rotated hobbies though. I collect TMNT and Disney movies/books as well. Which the last two years have been TMNT and Disney filled for sure.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
Welcome back! I remember your customs, they've always been really cool ^-^

I'm sort of at that age - teenager - when lots of people gave up their things and interests for boys. Maybe going to an all girls school has stopped this, hah.

Most of my friends know about my ponies. Almost all of my family do. I've always been a bit 'odd', and always had obsessions. This is one of them, so they've all grown to accept it. I've been collecting since I was about 12, and I've never felt the need to hide. I've never been concerned with being cool; I've always had friends that have accepted me for who I am, which means I often get G4's as easy presents. Hell, my first best friend when I was 12 got me a G3 Cotton Candy for my birthday.

I've never felt the need to hide what makes me happy. I think it's different for me because I'm not really an adult, I'm still a child. Ponies for me can still be seen as 'cute', 'retro', or trying to cling to my childhood. That's not what it is for me at all, but that might be how others see it. I don't care what they think.They make me happy, which I think is most important for me. I don't care what others think because I shouldn't let them dictate what I do and do not like.
I might change into adulthood, but I can't ever imagine my room without ponies.

I suppose I do get embarrassed sometimes imagining some of the 'cool' people in my class seeing my ponies, but everyone knows. I've had pony pencil cases, I used to take them to school sometimes in the bottom of my school bag. I've posted them on my personal Instagram before, and I've only ever had positive comments. I have a Tootsie with a mohawk, and one of my closest friends always calls her my punk pony.

Maybe it's because I'm a young pony collector, but I've only ever been met with positive responses. I've sort of learnt through this to never hide what I love because someone might disagree. If people judge me for what I love, that's their problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say in this mess of a post is that I don't think I ever will struggle with my ponies. They make me happy, and that's all that matters. If it wards people away because I have a pony on my desk, a pony on my record player and a cabinet full, then that's their problem, not mine. Everyone has things they love. It's what makes us unique.

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline DalaPony

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever struggled with the love for your collection? Story Time
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:01 AM »
I've told some of my friends about my collection, and I sometimes tell new people that I meet, if I think I can trust them. My husband is supportive of my collecting, even if he doesn't really understand the appeal of ponies, because it makes me happy. He's even beginning to recognise some of the ponies now - he knows Applejack and Peachy :D. Our closest friends have been quite supportive, even if they do take the Mickey sometimes.

My ponies have become quite important to me, as they've helped me through some difficult times this past year. I've been seeing a therapist for a while, and she agrees that it's good for me to have the ponies around, as they cheer me up so much and give me something good to focus on. I've started caring less about who knows about my collection now, and it's been liberating :)

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
Cute article. And welcome back! I'm a bit of a lurker now days. My current boyfriend is always telling me I shouldn't sell my ponies. But I haven't really been interested in collecting them like I used to. It's been 2 years of me just sitting on the fence about selling some and the passion not coming back. I've always rather rotated hobbies though. I collect TMNT and Disney movies/books as well. Which the last two years have been TMNT and Disney filled for sure.

Thanks for the welcome! :D I totally get it, I go through periods were I'm totally into it and then I'm "meh," and that happened when for two years I was just lugging them around and had a lot of other things to worry about, but when I fell into an emotional crisis, I was really happy I started up again.

I would sit on it for a while, though two years seems like a long time--- lol, I'm not sure, now...  You'll figure it out, I'ms ure :) I will say, I tend to sell off the ponies I am not "wild" about or don't "need," so my collection is relatively small. I just circulate through some things and keep the things I really value. Maybe downsize a bit? Get rid of some the things you're not wild about? See how it goes/feels?

I love TMNT <3 Heeee and Disney too of course. I don't collect the turtles, but I have a HUGE Disney VHS collection of the original movies that we just kept through the years, and there's a handful I found at the thrift store. I plan on watching the crap out of them until they wear out and then breaking and buying the new movies. I've just heard about something to do with voice overs or different music or something and I was like... NOPE.

I have a ton of hobbies as wellt. Sometimes I'm all over the house with the house plants and gardening, then I'm painting and drawing, then I'm writing, and I had a thing with bonsais for a while and I've got a couple MH dolls and BJs... I'm all over the map  :drunk:

Post Merge: June 23, 2016, 11:13:17 AM

Welcome back! I remember your customs, they've always been really cool ^-^

I'm sort of at that age - teenager - when lots of people gave up their things and interests for boys. Maybe going to an all girls school has stopped this, hah.

Most of my friends know about my ponies. Almost all of my family do. I've always been a bit 'odd', and always had obsessions. This is one of them, so they've all grown to accept it. I've been collecting since I was about 12, and I've never felt the need to hide. I've never been concerned with being cool; I've always had friends that have accepted me for who I am, which means I often get G4's as easy presents. Hell, my first best friend when I was 12 got me a G3 Cotton Candy for my birthday.

I've never felt the need to hide what makes me happy. I think it's different for me because I'm not really an adult, I'm still a child. Ponies for me can still be seen as 'cute', 'retro', or trying to cling to my childhood. That's not what it is for me at all, but that might be how others see it. I don't care what they think.They make me happy, which I think is most important for me. I don't care what others think because I shouldn't let them dictate what I do and do not like.
I might change into adulthood, but I can't ever imagine my room without ponies.

I suppose I do get embarrassed sometimes imagining some of the 'cool' people in my class seeing my ponies, but everyone knows. I've had pony pencil cases, I used to take them to school sometimes in the bottom of my school bag. I've posted them on my personal Instagram before, and I've only ever had positive comments. I have a Tootsie with a mohawk, and one of my closest friends always calls her my punk pony.

Maybe it's because I'm a young pony collector, but I've only ever been met with positive responses. I've sort of learnt through this to never hide what I love because someone might disagree. If people judge me for what I love, that's their problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say in this mess of a post is that I don't think I ever will struggle with my ponies. They make me happy, and that's all that matters. If it wards people away because I have a pony on my desk, a pony on my record player and a cabinet full, then that's their problem, not mine. Everyone has things they love. It's what makes us unique.

Heee! Thank you! :D I was actually thinking about reposting them as I've had to fix some of them up. They got damaged in the last move D: But not terribly so, thank goodness! Plus, I had a couple of ideas and wanted to change a few things. Thanks for the welcome and compliment! ^_^

Good for you for not tossing away what you like at that age. I just figured like so many others that I -had- to get rid of my things, I was -supposed- to like "grown up" things now that I was older. Being a writer and traveling all over to conventions and festivals, I am really seeing how wrong I was, lol. So many people get so much joy from different things and it's beautiful.

I think it's great too, growing up with the G4 gen and the bronies because they are breaking a lot of social norms. They are showing the world just how many adults out there not only enjoy a show that's "meant for young girls," but how many of them are men as well. I post ponies on my instagram too and I write fantasy/scifi and I'm starting to say to myself "who cares what my readers think," and I'm finding that a lot of them actually like those quirky posts I do with ponies or random toys I have. It says something about my personality I think, and it shows the world something about yours too. You're going to be you. You have a fun, adorable hobby, that you're proud of. That's so awesome to me. It gives me confidence to be more open about my hobby :)

Thanks again for the welcome and compliment!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:13:17 AM by WaterRaven »

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »
Oh, it's been a sort of rollercoaster for me and my ponies since I started collecting '06 xD
my ex didn't really support it, and the first time I "fell out of love" so to speak with the ponies (I didn't really, but I got fed up with it all because of our situation) when he made it clear it was only OK for me to have them in the room where I'd have my art supplies, hamsters etc. basically the room he never entered. It was done in a very condescending way and I gave up on art, on ponies and I'm sad to say the hammies got a bit too little attention, too. But it's a whole other story.
After I kicked him out, I moved back in with my parents and put EVERYTHING on display, and started buying a bit again. This was when g4 was new, so I was getting into those as well.
Then I started working, and could afford BJDs and got into that hobby, which made me sort of once again fall out of love with ponies, but I kept them on display.
Fast forward couple of years to when I moved in with my fiancé at his parents', where I couldn't keep ponies xD I ahd one pony there, maybe two. Our room was super tiny. I just focused intensely on BJDs, and we started collecting nendoroids, and I sold a great chunk of my collection. I enjoyed it, but it was never the same as the ponies.
Couple years forward yet, we got our own house, and I got shelves to display my ponies. Finally!
We're now on our third year of living in this house, and I've just started getting back into ponies again. I had a spell last summer where I did, but our economical situation went down the drain due to one of our cats having a lot of medical issues. Now everyhing is stabilizing, and I am enjoying buying a pony every now and then :)
We're even going to reorganize the collection together. my fiancé is super supportive of my ponies, and he has since day one.

When it comes to others judging me for it... One of my friend's ex teased me for it. He thought it was silly. I never liked him anyway, so I don't care. My other friends have all just accepted it, luckily. But if they can't accept me for who I am and for the hobbies I have, I figure they're not worth my time ;)
My collector's pose collection is basicallly the centerpiece in our living room, and then I have another display above our bed, so they're definitely very in your face if you visit our house. (fun times if that ever collapses. we'll be buried in ponies xD )

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
Welcome back!

You'll have to excuse my typos I usually post from my phone.

I grew on a huge farm, and I've always had horses. Horses have been my everything for w very long time or were. I collected ponies and model horses and had them everywhere. When I got older and went to college I left my real horses and toys behind. I eventually met my ex wife and moved with her working different jobs and away from horses. It had been almost ten years and at one point when our relationship was starting to break I found ponies. It was after the friendship is magic started and someone mentioned it and I thought about my old ponies. My ex wife mentioned having had a lot of them but they burned in a fire when she was a kid. I started secretly buying some for her for Christmas when I found the arena and surprisingly bought myself some too.

My ex didn't like to spend time with me, and we were in a different place all alone. I used to have horses as my outlet to make me feel better, but they were gone and suddenly I had ponies. It wasn't healthy, but I ended up having several and we got into it. My ex hated them, thought they were weird and made fun of me constantly. She wasn't working and eventually  I sold most of the ponies when I had a little mental meltdown from work (I worked in a bad school with lots of drugs and violence) and relationship problems.

I've come to the community off and on for years since then altough I cut ties with basically everyone I used to talk with much. About a year ago after moving home and finding a job close I wanted my own horse again. I searched and bought Nevada before my relationship with her finished dying. Before she left I had sold most of my ponies and in an angry fit I sold most of the rest of them.

I've slowly come around again to the fact I love my ponies and horses and have started collecting again. My new girlfriend is so supportive and sweet about it. I'm not going to feel bad they make me happy, and I love that Amber is so sweet about my ponies. They make me smile during times when I cannot get out to Nevada.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline MLPforever

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook!
    • View Profile
    • Fluffy Bottom Plush
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »
Oh my goodness!!! <3 <3 <3

Thank you so much for reading my article and I'm so glad it was able to re-ignite your passion for collecting! Ponies have absolutely changed my life for the better. I know I focus a lot on my husband in the article, but I mainly wanted to write it to contrast with all the negative collecting articles and T.V. shows that are out there in abundance...from My Strange Addiction to Hoarders, to articles about how an obsessive collecting habit ruined someone's life.

I wanted to show that there IS a healthy way to collect something, and that fandom can be wonderful and positive!

Thanks again for reading my article. I'm so flattered. <3 I love my pony people!

I'll be at the fair this year, dressed as G1 Starglow. So if you see me, feel free to come say hi! :D
Check out my etsy shop for beautiful handmade plush animals! Commission me for your own tiny MLP plushie! And please like Fluffy Bottom Plush on Facebook for special discounts and progress photos!

https://www.facebook.com/fluffybottomplush

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal