collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...  (Read 5595 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »
Nooo.. why it would be fun to see them in original packings in stores again it would completly destroy the feel of it. Wouldn't it also devalue the vintage ones? If they bring back a couple of few, like the anniversary ones, perhaps. But for all of them, no. I do not want them back.

Your worried about the devaluation of a hunk of degradable 5 dollar plastic?

Considering what I paid for some of them, yes.

I'm with you on this... it would actually probably turn me away from MLP and make me angry.  I've spent SO MUCH MONEY over the decades, to have all that effort undermined by a small group who simply don't wish to pay collectors' prices for collectibles?  Okay people, start giving away free cars and see how many people get upset because they are making monthly payments.  Or pick a select group of credit card holders that suddenly do not have to pay interest or even pay their debt back.  Subverting "the rules of the game" just isn't fair to those who have spent decades working on their collections!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
The Transformers example given by LadyMoondancer suggests the value of your originals would be safe even if they did this.  Taking the example of cars in a different direction, reproductions have never hurt the value of original car models.  Some would go and buy the new production just for the sake of checking ponies off their list, but there would still be a healthy market for the originals.

It could even improve the value of well taken care of originals.  Baseball card collectors look for the rookie cards of star players because they were made before they became famous.  The original G1 ponies are what put the brand on the map, and any reproductions would just be capitalizing on their already established fame.  So, for those worried about their ponies going down in value, take heart that history tends to favor maintaining or improving the value of your collection even if Hasbro were to release the original ponies.  Just take good care of that year stamp.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
Hey sorry, but you guys chose to pay outrageous prices for a child's toy. No one forced you to. Seems kinda mean spirited to want to deny other people Kids included,  because you know, KIDS are the target audience the original asking price.

I'm 100% positive I've not seen a single person in this forum act that way when someone got an expensive htf pony for a few dollars at a thrift shop. Or found hidden treasures in a big lot.

It's a kids toyline people, remember when you were kids? Yeah you had them and played with them too. Again why deny kids or new comers the chance to get to know the originals because of childhood memories or a return of a retro line to original prices?

No one was angry or outraged because of  mini replicas or hallmark ornaments or Hasbro bringing it to DVD.

No matter which way anyone tries to cut it, it seems mean spirited and baffling, because the people on this forum are some of the kindest most generous group of individuals I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know.

They are not taking away childhood memories. Those are yours to cherish, not all of us can afford to drop hundreds of dollars on a kids toy for ourselves or our kids thats become a collector's prized showpiece or were only made in Another Country and in about ten years or so, these toys will detioriate to the point where we hafta throw them away

I furthermore, see no prob in getting a fresh upgrade when our cherished collections will be a puddle of goop or a pile of dust.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:13:32 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
People pat those who run across a rare or to hard to find pony in a lot because it's a hidden treasure.  It's like finding a card of a star baseball player printed in their rookie year.  It's still rare and hard to find, but you've hit the jackpot and done something pleasantly unexpected.  A lot of people on this board also have ponies from their childhood that they have treated with care and love to keep them looking good as they've gone from toys to pieces of both their childhood and history of this brand.

While I do not think the value of originals wouldn't be hurt by this (these would be like rookie baseball cards of that star player printed after they've retired) I do understand why people would be worried and a bit put off.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:30:11 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »
People pat those who run across a rare or to hard to find pony in a lot because it's a hidden treasure.  It's like finding a card of a star baseball player printed in their rookie year.  It's still rare and hard to find, but you've hit the jackpot and done something pleasantly unexpected.  A lot of people on this board also have ponies from their childhood that they have treated with care and love to keep them looking good as they've gone from toys to pieces of both their childhood and history of this brand.

While I do not think the value of originals would be hurt by this (these would be like rookie baseball cards of that star player printed after they've retired) I do understand why people would be worried and a bit put off.

So that justifies saying, if I can't have it for a decent price no one should be allowed to have it all? Or if it isn't an original, then everyone should be denied it? Even when they arent being forced to buy it.

I'm not lashing out at you or anyone else mind you, I just strongly disagree with that kind of mentality.

And since I don't see eye to eye with that particular point of view and don't wish to de-evolve this thread into an argument, I should probably step out of this conversation.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:57:12 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
I meant to say wouldn't hurt the value of originals.  It hasn't for the Transformers or most other collectables.  Being original and finite has a value in its own right.

Something I had thought of, if we modernized the G1 ponies, what changes would happen (and I mean to match today's cultural norms)?  Would Paradise Estate of solar panels on the roof?

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2016, 03:03:36 PM »
They would never re-release the whole line, so there is no real worry.  No need to get all bent out of shape.

That said, I would love to get the originals again, MOC.  There were some I missed out on when I was a kid, and I would love to get them.  That was such a cool experience, finding them on the shelves.  That would be great for kids now to experience.  The only downside is kids today want electronics or high tech things, so...I think the only ones really excited about the original ponies being re-released would be us. :)
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
Maybe add in zap codes under their symbols for electronic goodies like special ring tones and small app games.  There were plenty of misadventures in Dream Valley you could turn into fun, little time-wasters like getting away from the goblins in "The Magic Coins" or take some of the zany antics from the U.K. comic.  I think the Gameloft online game is still up and running, so you could package G1-inspired additions with the ponies.

I know that would ruin the "exactly like the originals" thing, but it would make them more marketable to the modern customer.  Also, sitting on the shelf as a part of an army, would it really matter than the reproduction has a ship on the inside of her butt?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:26:10 PM by Al-1701 »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
Well for rare ponies i'm sure i would do it, but otherwise i don't know, i love ponies who have been loved before.

Same! I might even get newer ones, and use them as place holders for ones I don't expect to get the originals of. If they came out with a repro Rapunzel, for example, I would definitely go for it if the quality was anywhere near as good as the original.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Toilandtrouble123

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Hubble bubble, Toil and trouble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2016, 03:32:18 AM »
I wouldn't want them to bring back the exact ones they have already done but.... I would love them to bring back the G1 poses the same plastic same hair etc (all of them) with new designs, colours names etc etc :D

Totally agree with Lollipop here, and maybe re-release some of the rarer ones, so we get a second chance at owning a Rapunzel or Jewellry Babies, but for those re-releases I think Hasbro should also revamp the horseshoe points system, to make it just a little bit harder than simply logging onto the net and putting your card details in for delivery.  I think they ought to make it so you get the horseshoe codes once you buy a few of the new releases to be given access to purchase the rarer re-releases from an Exclusives Club site or something.  And also, they ought to run monthly regional competitions (you know USA/Canada, UK/Europe, Asia) for custom submissions, and the best three each month in each different region gets a certain number of horseshoe points to go towards the Exclusives Club ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal