collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 04:45:17 PM »
Okay then we'll agree to disagree then. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »
I wouldn't mind for Hasbro to do a *limited* release, similar to what Strawberry Shortcake is doing now with the re-released vintage dolls and play sets.  I have the new, vintage-looking Strawberry and she doesn't take anything away from my vintage girls.  If Hasbro could release a few, I'd be happy.

But I wouldn't want them to release all of them.  There's something special, to me, about the history of the 80s toys as they are.  I wouldn't expect to see them now.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »
If they did do rereleases, I would only buy them if they were the same quality as the original G1s. I would happily pay more $$$ for a high quality rerelease, over the poor quality $5 retro Collector ponies.

Yeah I was disappointed to be honest and it made me a bit sad  :huh:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
All of them?  Do you have any idea how many of them there are?

I would say go with the ponies from Years 2-5, but as other have said, vintage toys of those years are plentiful.

My would like to see G1 make a comeback.  I would rather watch new adventures of Wind Whistler and Fizzy than Friendship is Magic.  However, I doubt Hasbro would just do it.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »
Gets all the new ponies...house explodes.... neighborhood kids bust out pool nets as toys magically rain from the sky...Michael bay moment confirmed...

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
The entire line would be way, way too much.  A few special re-releases would be fun though. Some kind of "collector's" line or something would be neat. They do it for Star Wars and Transformers.  What would be even better would be to finally get releases of some of the stuff that never got released.  Cosmic Ponies!  NBBE Baby Sundance!  Petite Snow Cone Maker!  For the sharp eyed person, brochures and backcards are filled with possible goodies begging for an official release!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »
I would consider it a waste of time and effort on Hasbro's part. If they had enough nouse about them to recreate perfect replicas of G1, why would they? Why wouldn't they use those perfect replica shapes and designs to create a ton of new G1 ponies to make us all flap around and spend our money?

I think that nothing could be more terrible for G1 MLP's sense of history and nostalgia than trying to reproduce the same as what was out in the 1980s. But Hasbro would really have a thriving and obsessed collector market if they used those identical moulds and such to create all the things they never did in the 80s and more.

I think that'd be their preference, too. Why limit the market when you can capture it double?

Agreed. I'd personally feel a little empty inside if they re-released G1's. I like the fact that the pony gazing down on me from my display cabinet is as old as I am (some of them are older than me....  ^.^)!!!

There's definitely something to be said for the history they carry and sense of nostalgia they hold.

Not to mention it could invalidate the point and lower the value of everybody's G1 collections. On the other hand, it could drive up the value as sellers could then market them as 'ORIGINAL 80's PONY - WITH 1982 STAMPED ON IT'S FOOT!' & 'VINTAGE PONY - NOT THE NEW KIND!' etc, etc...

But I don't want to see it. I do like the idea of using G1 moulds to create new designs though.

Here's a good reason. We won't hafta worry about them disintegrating Because they're old and will have something to pass down and show future generations. Preservation.

But that's probably not the case. G3 and G4 are already breaking down and showing issues (mostly in G3 but at least 1 G4 example of a 5 year old pony with hair falling off and rotting has been documented). Hasbro cannot use materials not still in production, so they would use the hair fibres they use now. Also the plastic, most probably.

I'm pretty sure of my G1 collection as is surviving much longer than anything new Hasbro puts out now.

And besides, you wouldn't be keeping anything to pass down for the future. You'd be keeping a 21st century replica product that was newer than G4. That's not a G1 pony. It would still be G5, even if it replicated the G1 line. And while that is fine in itself, it's not G1.

I'm not and have never been bothered about the price of ponies, but I do care about the history, the nostalgia, the memory of those ponies. I would hate Hasbro to rerelease all the ponies I grew up with, because then I would have to see them in stores as my adult self, not my excited child self. I would be able to buy the whole set and keep them in package, rather than the decisions I had to make over how much money I had and whether to wait till the one I really liked came out or buy one there and then (I never waited). I would never have that expectation and excitement of what new things might be coming out that I hadn't heard of, because I know the whole G1 line and I know what would be on sale. It would demolish and destroy every fragment of what is special to me about MLP. You cannot package childhood nostalgia.

I think there's a good argument for not using current price values as a reason for ponies to be rereleased, as collector value is fickle anyway. But some things are irreplaceable. Leave a Whisper, you talked about selfish. A value perspective might be selfish. But preserving the integrity of a precious, irreplaceable childhood nostalgia? That's somewhat different. And you forget that we all come from very different backgrounds, with different pony histories in our respective locations. Whose history would be considered "right" for a project like this?

The reason I go around trying to collect up inserts, packaging etc from the 1980s is that they are pieces of history in a story of MLP in the UK that I have spent 16 years trying to put back together. In the space of one release of merchandise Hasbro UK defaulted to the US name system with "Princess Sparkle". The probability of US packaged items and US names and US sets are huge, since there is no regional diversity these days, just distribution issues.

To me that would be an assault on my childhood. I love US ponies - I really love a lot of them - but that wasn't my childhood. And I'd rather have my nostalgia of G1 than have them back on store shelves. I am a UK pony collector. I grew up with ponies in the UK. I don't like uniformity. I don't want G1 back.

I would be fine with new ponies in old pony style and design and card that were sold uniformly across the globe. I have no prejudice against ponies frm any location, either.  But for me, some parts of childhood have to stay sacred. I don't think wanting to preserve nostalgia is selfish.

Actively wanting reissues so you can get a rare pony cheap is the same to me as actively not wanting reissues so you can preserve pony value. It becomes all about money, which is not what ponies are about. I think destroying the past is one of the worst things you can do to any collectable, because real collectables aren't created by hype and store shelves. They are created by that sense of nostalgia and 'past'.

Which to me is why ponies are not like something like MTG cards. They are toys turned collectables.

This reminds me of whenever something from the past gets a remake people go "wahhhh my childhood is ruined!" and tbh that's rather silly and over dramatic. It's not like the remake can go into the past and overwrite the original ones or erase your memories.

Tbh a better reason is if they were all rereleased they would be competing with the current G4s. Because of that I don't think that more than just a few sets would be a good idea. Also in the 80s Hasbro wasn't very concerned about being green so the packaging was bigger which meant it wasted  more space in transportation and on store shelves as well as not being the ideal way to display a collector's item. I'd rather see a neat display box that can easily be folded down.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 06:43:47 PM »
I would consider it a waste of time and effort on Hasbro's part. If they had enough nouse about them to recreate perfect replicas of G1, why would they? Why wouldn't they use those perfect replica shapes and designs to create a ton of new G1 ponies to make us all flap around and spend our money?

I think that nothing could be more terrible for G1 MLP's sense of history and nostalgia than trying to reproduce the same as what was out in the 1980s. But Hasbro would really have a thriving and obsessed collector market if they used those identical moulds and such to create all the things they never did in the 80s and more.

I think that'd be their preference, too. Why limit the market when you can capture it double?

Agreed. I'd personally feel a little empty inside if they re-released G1's. I like the fact that the pony gazing down on me from my display cabinet is as old as I am (some of them are older than me....  ^.^)!!!

There's definitely something to be said for the history they carry and sense of nostalgia they hold.

Not to mention it could invalidate the point and lower the value of everybody's G1 collections. On the other hand, it could drive up the value as sellers could then market them as 'ORIGINAL 80's PONY - WITH 1982 STAMPED ON IT'S FOOT!' & 'VINTAGE PONY - NOT THE NEW KIND!' etc, etc...

But I don't want to see it. I do like the idea of using G1 moulds to create new designs though.

Here's a good reason. We won't hafta worry about them disintegrating Because they're old and will have something to pass down and show future generations. Preservation.

But that's probably not the case. G3 and G4 are already breaking down and showing issues (mostly in G3 but at least 1 G4 example of a 5 year old pony with hair falling off and rotting has been documented). Hasbro cannot use materials not still in production, so they would use the hair fibres they use now. Also the plastic, most probably.

I'm pretty sure of my G1 collection as is surviving much longer than anything new Hasbro puts out now.

And besides, you wouldn't be keeping anything to pass down for the future. You'd be keeping a 21st century replica product that was newer than G4. That's not a G1 pony. It would still be G5, even if it replicated the G1 line. And while that is fine in itself, it's not G1.

I'm not and have never been bothered about the price of ponies, but I do care about the history, the nostalgia, the memory of those ponies. I would hate Hasbro to rerelease all the ponies I grew up with, because then I would have to see them in stores as my adult self, not my excited child self. I would be able to buy the whole set and keep them in package, rather than the decisions I had to make over how much money I had and whether to wait till the one I really liked came out or buy one there and then (I never waited). I would never have that expectation and excitement of what new things might be coming out that I hadn't heard of, because I know the whole G1 line and I know what would be on sale. It would demolish and destroy every fragment of what is special to me about MLP. You cannot package childhood nostalgia.

I think there's a good argument for not using current price values as a reason for ponies to be rereleased, as collector value is fickle anyway. But some things are irreplaceable. Leave a Whisper, you talked about selfish. A value perspective might be selfish. But preserving the integrity of a precious, irreplaceable childhood nostalgia? That's somewhat different. And you forget that we all come from very different backgrounds, with different pony histories in our respective locations. Whose history would be considered "right" for a project like this?

The reason I go around trying to collect up inserts, packaging etc from the 1980s is that they are pieces of history in a story of MLP in the UK that I have spent 16 years trying to put back together. In the space of one release of merchandise Hasbro UK defaulted to the US name system with "Princess Sparkle". The probability of US packaged items and US names and US sets are huge, since there is no regional diversity these days, just distribution issues.

To me that would be an assault on my childhood. I love US ponies - I really love a lot of them - but that wasn't my childhood. And I'd rather have my nostalgia of G1 than have them back on store shelves. I am a UK pony collector. I grew up with ponies in the UK. I don't like uniformity. I don't want G1 back.

I would be fine with new ponies in old pony style and design and card that were sold uniformly across the globe. I have no prejudice against ponies frm any location, either.  But for me, some parts of childhood have to stay sacred. I don't think wanting to preserve nostalgia is selfish.

Actively wanting reissues so you can get a rare pony cheap is the same to me as actively not wanting reissues so you can preserve pony value. It becomes all about money, which is not what ponies are about. I think destroying the past is one of the worst things you can do to any collectable, because real collectables aren't created by hype and store shelves. They are created by that sense of nostalgia and 'past'.

Which to me is why ponies are not like something like MTG cards. They are toys turned collectables.

This reminds me of whenever something from the past gets a remake people go "wahhhh my childhood is ruined!" and tbh that's rather silly and over dramatic. It's not like the remake can go into the past and overwrite the original ones or erase your memories.

Tbh a better reason is if they were all rereleased they would be competing with the current G4s. Because of that I don't think that more than just a few sets would be a good idea. Also in the 80s Hasbro wasn't very concerned about being green so the packaging was bigger which meant it wasted  more space in transportation and on store shelves as well as not being the ideal way to display a collector's item. I'd rather see a neat display box that can easily be folded down.

In all fairness, Michael Bay and Jon Chu did ruin people's childhoods.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »

Nah they didn't. They disappointed fans and shattered their hopes and dreams yes, but they didn't go back in time and erase the originals or your memories of the originals. Those are still safe and intact. I didn't even have any nostalgic connection to Jem and I was disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:21:08 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 07:46:12 PM »

Nah they didn't. They disappointed fans and shattered their hopes and dreams yes, but they didn't go back in time and erase the originals or your memories of the originals. Those are still safe and intact. I didn't even have any nostalgic connection to Jem and I was disappointed.

Wardah used logic! It was super effective! :P

Could be Hasbro planned it that way to boost Jem box set sales of outraged Jem fans? :p

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
Gets all the new ponies...house explodes.... neighborhood kids bust out pool nets as toys magically rain from the sky...Michael bay moment confirmed...

:lmao:
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:55 AM »
i would love it if they brought them back i would still keep buying old ones but i would get new ones to display in the boxes ! i wonder if you could scan boxes in to a computer and print them if you had a minty pony but the box it came in was very damaged ?

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2016, 04:18:06 AM »
I'd like to add something deep and meaningful but..
nah.. I have to be completely honest -  if they rereleased G1 I'd be totally throwing my money at Hasbro for them (as well as still collecting the originals :P   ) :silly:  :whistle:  :lovey:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2016, 04:26:32 AM »
It would be nice to find a Wind Whistler whose hair will stay pink.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:16 AM »
I probably wouldn't buy most of them. I would wait for the prices of the originals to come down due to market saturation and continue to buy the originals. lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal