collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...  (Read 5587 times)

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »
So, let's say Hasbro would bring back the G1 Ponies. And I mean EXACTLY how the G1 looked like, incluiding the way they were packed. Would you buy those and stop collecting the vintage ones or perhaps even replace them? Or would you continue collecting the actual 80's/90's Ponies?

Secretly I hope they do...

But I'm kind of 50/50 on this.

What do you think...?
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: If Hasbro would bring back all G1 Ponies...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:55:30 AM »
Well for rare ponies i'm sure i would do it, but otherwise i don't know, i love ponies who have been loved before.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »
I would probably buy some MIB/MOC to display as they are. That's actually a good question xD I first thought back on the anniversary re-releases and they're a bit off (different eyes, hair and hard plstic body) but if they would be made JUST LIKE the vintage ones... I don't know.  I kind of like the hunt.
Though I wouldn't mind some easy cheap MIB/MOCs to keep as they are.
I have mixed feelings. :silly:

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
If they were exactly the same it would devalue what everyone paid for their collections I suppose, it would just change the market completely and therefore the community.   The sense of community would change because you'd be able to just buy them on Amazon.  I don't have any rare/expensive ponies but I quite like the fun of knowing that I will probably take me years to complete my ideal collection because of looking for those rarer ponies and accessories.  It's quite sad that some of the original ponies made in bad batches of plastic though so if they were re-released it's be nice to have some that might last a bit longer!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »
I wouldn't want them to bring back the exact ones they have already done but.... I would love them to bring back the G1 poses the same plastic same hair etc (all of them) with new designs, colours names etc etc :D
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
I would consider it a waste of time and effort on Hasbro's part. If they had enough nouse about them to recreate perfect replicas of G1, why would they? Why wouldn't they use those perfect replica shapes and designs to create a ton of new G1 ponies to make us all flap around and spend our money?

I think that nothing could be more terrible for G1 MLP's sense of history and nostalgia than trying to reproduce the same as what was out in the 1980s. But Hasbro would really have a thriving and obsessed collector market if they used those identical moulds and such to create all the things they never did in the 80s and more.

I think that'd be their preference, too. Why limit the market when you can capture it double?

I would be sad to see copies of old ponies on the shelves now, to be honest. It would take away the fondness of my childhood somehow. Plus Hasbro go for uniform names these days. It would genuinely upset me to see ponies like Strawberry Fair and Lollipop marketed here under their US names as Princess Amethyst has been on other merchandising. I feel like the proud uniqueness of lines region by region would get sucked into conformity rather than protecting that diversity...and that would be a shame, since the main thing that keeps me interested in G1 MLP is the history of the line, the quirks, mysteries and deviations.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:29:19 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
I would probably buy some MIB/MOC to display as they are. That's actually a good question xD I first thought back on the anniversary re-releases and they're a bit off (different eyes, hair and hard plstic body) but if they would be made JUST LIKE the vintage ones... I don't know.  I kind of like the hunt.
Though I wouldn't mind some easy cheap MIB/MOCs to keep as they are.
I have mixed feelings. :silly:
I agree,hunting a pony you want until you finally have it is maybe as important as having the pony in your collection for me.It's part of the fun of being a collector, and being able to walk in a toys r us and buy any g1 you want would be a bit boring.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
I think it would ruin the fun if they rereleased the entire line.  I wouldn't mind seeing selective retro pony releases, but I wouldn't want all of them.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
In a heartbeat. They do it for Transformers and GI Joe and even Jem fans.

Though now that I think of it we have it way better then Moon Dreamer and M.A.S.K fans.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Given Hasbro's current QC standards, I'd rather the G1s stay as they are. If they were to be the same quality as the original line, I think it would be nice to have a certain selection of ponies re-released. The entire line might be a bit excessive but perhaps if ponies with similarly themed symbols were grouped together, that would certainly pique my interest! (Heck, even if it was a repro, I would love to have Nightglider!) :lovey:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
If they did do rereleases, I would only buy them if they were the same quality as the original G1s. I would happily pay more $$$ for a high quality rerelease, over the poor quality $5 retro Collector ponies.

I think a general challenge, though, is that the ponies who were most popular (Year 2 ponies, Year 5 Princess ponies) are quite easy to find secondhand in mint or near mint condition.  Would pony collectors pay more than "loose" market price for a MOC high quality retro pony?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
It would depend on the pony.  If it was the Brothers then I'd buy them up in a heartbeat to use as custom bait (and I don't have Tex yet, so he would go into my collection).  And maybe the So-softs.  But for the most part, I would rather see new characters in the G1 style than a re-issue of, say, Firefly or Medley.  If they released the country specific variants (like all the different South American Bow Ties) in the US then I'd probably pick up a bunch of those, too, because I really like some of the color combinations other countries used that didn't get used on the US releases.

I think as long as the feet were stamped with the current year then it wouldn't really devalue the original collections.  It would also make finding an 80s G1 at the thrift store a bit more thrilling.

Offline ponytales

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
I would consider it a waste of time and effort on Hasbro's part. If they had enough nouse about them to recreate perfect replicas of G1, why would they? Why wouldn't they use those perfect replica shapes and designs to create a ton of new G1 ponies to make us all flap around and spend our money?

I think that nothing could be more terrible for G1 MLP's sense of history and nostalgia than trying to reproduce the same as what was out in the 1980s. But Hasbro would really have a thriving and obsessed collector market if they used those identical moulds and such to create all the things they never did in the 80s and more.

I think that'd be their preference, too. Why limit the market when you can capture it double?

Agreed. I'd personally feel a little empty inside if they re-released G1's. I like the fact that the pony gazing down on me from my display cabinet is as old as I am (some of them are older than me....  ^.^)!!!

There's definitely something to be said for the history they carry and sense of nostalgia they hold.

Not to mention it could invalidate the point and lower the value of everybody's G1 collections. On the other hand, it could drive up the value as sellers could then market them as 'ORIGINAL 80's PONY - WITH 1982 STAMPED ON IT'S FOOT!' & 'VINTAGE PONY - NOT THE NEW KIND!' etc, etc...

But I don't want to see it. I do like the idea of using G1 moulds to create new designs though.

Currently seeking Italian Blue Lickety Split :inlove:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »

Agreed. I'd personally feel a little empty inside if they re-released G1's. I like the fact that the pony gazing down on me from my display cabinet is as old as I am (some of them are older than me....  ^.^)!!!

There's definitely something to be said for the history they carry and sense of nostalgia they hold.

Not to mention it could invalidate the point and lower the value of everybody's G1 collections. On the other hand, it could drive up the value as sellers could then market them as 'ORIGINAL 80's PONY - WITH 1982 STAMPED ON IT'S FOOT!' & 'VINTAGE PONY - NOT THE NEW KIND!' etc, etc...

But I don't want to see it. I do like the idea of using G1 moulds to create new designs though.

Here's a good reason. We won't hafta worry about them disintegrating Because they're old and will have something to pass down and show future generations. Preservation.

Besides nostalgia and bringing back stuff closer to its original form works well for every other major  cartoon toy brand. How would it be bad for this onr?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
I would buy ones that I can't find on eBay, or ones that are too pricey.  I'd also totally buy duplicates of my favorites, like the Rocking Beats or the ballerina babies.  I love those so much and would totally buy a couple to go with my vintage ones :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal