collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should a seller metion if an item has a strong order (non-pony)  (Read 487 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Hi,

I was very excited to get a vintage non pony book of Ebay. When I opened the book to check its condition It had a very strong musty smell to it. I know old books sometimes smell but this was very strong. I even rechecked the listing to see if I had overlooked anything about the book smelling. The smell was so strong I could smell it the whole time I was reading the book.  I'm just wondering if this was something the seller should have mentioned. The only details given in the listing were about the book condition (no rips, writing or tears)   Overall I am sastified with the book so I left positive feedback for the seller.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Should a seller metion if an item has a strong order (non-pony)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:19:13 PM »
Yes, as strong odors can be a big trigger for allergies, the seller definitely should have mentioned the odor. Unfortunately, some people can't tell if an item has an odor, though, because they are used to the smell. What year was the book published? Unless it was a really old book (like, over 75 years old), it shouldn't have had an inherent smell. Usually a musty smell indicates that someone was not storing the book properly and it was exposed to too much humidity. "Old Book Smell" usually actually smells like vanilla and is quite distinct from a "musty" smell.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:00:48 PM »
Yes, yes, yes!
However, smokers lose their sense of smell. They usually don't realize it smells because they suppressed those scent receptors. Always ask if it's smoke free.

Post Merge: May 31, 2016, 01:01:55 PM

You might gently mention the smell to the seller for future sales.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:25:35 PM »
Thanks ringwraith10 and Tak. The book was published in 1987  It's possible the seller didn't realize the book smelled but it is very strong to me. I guess I should have asked if it smelled but I've bought many vintage books and although some have had a faint smell to them this one but never one like this.  I wonder if the seller would like to know if the item smelled or would they be insulted? 

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »
I always tell them that I'm not upset, but thought they should know it had an odor. In a pm. Also dryer sheets will help soak up the odor.

HopelessMagic

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 05:38:31 AM »
Maybe once it sat in the open air for awhile, it wasn't very noticeable but after being packed in the box, all that musty air hit you all at once. Unless it still reeks horribly after airing out. Then, she probably should have said something.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »
Yes, yes, yes!
However, smokers lose their sense of smell. They usually don't realize it smells because they suppressed those scent receptors. Always ask if it's smoke free.

Post Merge: May 31, 2016, 01:01:55 PM

You might gently mention the smell to the seller for future sales.
I stopped smoking for six years now, and I still don't smell anything unless it's very strong. To be honest I wouldn't mention a musty book smell as that's common for books. A cigarette smell or something like that yes.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal