collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Big box of trouble on ebay: custom fails, bait... **Now with Pics!  (Read 2428 times)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi I am not sure if this is a brag or not but I just bought a huge box of total junk on eBay, someone who was moving sold all their baits and failed customs in one lot:  broken hard plastic horses, horribly painted ponies, fakies, hair including a whole baggy full of trimmed pony tails, pieces and parts....odds and ends...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Little-Pony-Lot-G1-G2-G3-G4-Vintage-Shimmer-Star-Fashion-Fillies-Fantasy-Bait-/301959644281?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3Dd99539a3cadc4aad8f304fa71c1cb90f%26pid%3D100102%26&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=5ajqroV3jW9dXMwEX9%252BqLEK%252BJn4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

All the painted things are failing from probably leaking plasticizer under the paint, anypony have any suggestions for me as to what to do to remove the paint?  Ideas what to do with these?  See anything you want in here?  This will keep me busy for a long long time, what have I gotten myself into? hahaha.

I pulled out 4 or 5 that seem within a quick easy scrub so I will clean those up and add picture(s) here pretty soon, maybe try out any suggestions I get and add pics of that, if there is any interest in this.

Thanks for any input!

[nudging this over to Pony Corral for you so you can get answers to your questions - kiwimlp :) ]

Edited to add this almost-after pic of the first salvaged items! and the rest below this line..

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here's a link to the in-progress pics and the ebay pics all jumbled up of course...with closeups of the leg glue joints
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzP8lAXs8KOWWnVJY0haNTI2eWc

Ah I got moved to Pony Corral, I thought I must have remembered where I posted wrong when I couldn't find my way back...yes thanks kiwimlp!  Good idea!

ok I have all scrubbed up but still drying:
-The two ballerina ponies I think that's Twinkle Dancer and Tip Toes, they are totally rehaired with new colors (all I did was wash them)
-Prize ponies Star Swirl and oh I give up figuring out who the purple rearing pose one with star and streamers is, maybe someone knows?
-2 Remcos which were surprisingly easy to defrizz seems like good hair quality?
-Some G2 with one eye gem missing, will add zirconias later
-G3 Sweetie Belle 2008 "Core Friends" Single with her accessory,
-And the one complete Fashion Star Filly has been repaired with baking soda and superglue, got perfect realignment and enough strength to wave it around by the reattached leg.
-And the one Fantasy Filly repaired too, these legs are tiny! and the wings don't open out enough to please me, I repaired but didn't scrub this one, maybe it is worth something and I should move it along.  I really love the Fashion Star Filly though, such great definition in the details, trim body lines and the stance is just great so I'll keep that one.

OK that's it for the super-easy ones....I guess they made the money for the lot worth it...  Next is the paint removal and such...now that they have aired out a bit, maybe the paint isn't as unstable as I thought by the smell when I opened the box.  There is a lot of extra stuff that isn't in the ebay pics after all:
hair:  looks like a couple dozen shortened tails that will be good for ponies that don't have any tail at all, maybe I can tie two shorts together at the end and double their length or something?  Lot of human costume hair too, is that something I want to use or not?  I think it's what the rehaired ballerinas are done with,
plastic parts:  Looks like a good handful of misc playset pieces like wooden fence bits and whatnot, not a huge amount but some...

The green-painted Styling pony is in fact the real Rarity not a fake like my friend suggested it could be, and has superlong re-hair but no tail....I'll find something to do with it
The black Totsy is interesting enough, maybe after cleaned up she's ok like she is,
The merpony is going to be a project, but one I am interested in doing....looks like a job for playing with Apoxy.
Painted rainbow dash...ug.  Butterfly shimmer...misc.

Anypony that wants any of this crud let me know and we'll kick it around.  You never know!

Edited again to add this link to my brag post including several of the easy ponies after cleanup! 
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379378.msg1546374.html#msg1546374

here's a sample:

Yay!  Now to get started on the hard ones.  Anypony want any of the tougher project in exchange for a few ounces of Apoxy so I can work on the Merpony??  I don't want to have to buy the whole pound...at any rate, enjoy the cleaned ponies and all the fakies, ceramics and furniture etceteras!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:38:52 PM by lostpony »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Big box of trouble on ebay: custom fails, bait, junk what to do??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
Oh you got some great stuff there! That mermaid sculpted pony is REALLY gorgeous- I think you can fix her with some superglue- if there are chips, some apoxie-sculpt.

You can remove paint with 100% acetone- no, not nail polish remover, it is way more expensive and not as strong and sometimes stains-  get the industrial acetone from a hardware store, or auto store or any kind of general store.

I like the looks of that rainbow-haired re-rooted pony too! So cute!

I like the pony with the wings- Fantasy Filly I think-  those can be expensive- is there anything wrong with that one ?

lostpony

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »
The mermaid was one of my focuses....but that was stuffed into a bubble-padded mailer and stuffed into the idle of everything else so is far more damaged now.  The plastic seem stable under the custom stuff so is candidate to fix up, yes...fin is folded over and many big chips off.  What is Apoxie?  Is that what it is made of? 

Rainbow hair re-rooted pony, do you mean the ballet pony?  That is about to be scrubbed right now!

The winged horse has a broken leg, as they all do.  The one is missing the leg but all the others are taped on and are very dirty....I will probably do drill-and-pin with superglue and baking soda on the horse legs.

I think the fantasy fillies are what ran up the bid price right?  All seem repairable except the missing leg horse, provided I can fix the broken legs.

Thanks for the advice!  Acetone it is!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »
I sold off my fantasy filly collection a while back but if my memory is correct those two aren't worth as much as that different brand Pegasus. Although with s broken leg I wouldn't know what she would be worth now.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
apoxie-sculpt-  it is a 2 part sculpting "glue" that is a teeny bit of a pain to use, but that works really great.   You can use it as a sculpting compound, or you can use it to fill in cracks, repair stuff.  It air dries very hard which makes it a great thing to sculpt with or glue with. Make sure to smooth it very well before it dries- (can be smoothed with water).

There is only one fantasy filly, the one with the wings. The other two are fashion star fillies, they aren't worth much these days.  I think the fantasy filly and/or the mer pony drove the price up. They look really good in teh picture with minimal issues.

I did not realize the Fantasy Filly leg was broken though- that seller should REALLY have mentioned that pretty significant detail.

Does the little pink fashion star filly also have a broken leg? It doesn't appear so from the picture. If so how terrible the seller didn't mention it.

I would actually be rather ticked at the seller for mailing the mer pony so carelessly. The cracks in the tail looked very easily fixed.  This seller is not very good, I will definitely be steering clear.

lostpony

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »
Thanks for the advices.

The seller did post a question/answer about the broken legs saying there is something wrong with everything in the lot....they are craftily posed to not show the damage as much and I'm glad I didn't like any of the paint jobs because they are all failed and couldn't be salvaged successfully.

I don't think the seller has any sort of business going and was just dumping off personal projects.  It didn't surprise me a bit that it was so carelessly packed...if anything I was pleasantly surprised after opening the box and seeing everything was just heaped in there, to find that the merpony was at least in something to contain its pieces.  The cracks are now much much worse but probably fixable because they are mostly all together.  Seems like the tail might be partly from like a mermaid Barbie doll sort of thing? with added on sculpture that is probably Apoxie I guess.  I'll be experimenting with that too and see what I can do.  I'm just happy the plastic on the merpony is stable so it's not a strip-to-the-pony iike the other stuff.  The sculpture around its head is intact and pretty good artwork, so it's not like I would be starting from sratch (with zero talent for creating art) just restoration/rebuilding.

I'm sure the leg repairs can be made perfectly strong and almost invisible with drill and pin, otherwise they would be hopeless.  I was also not sure the Pegasus had both wings in the picture:  but it does have them both.

I still have no idea what to do with the horse with the missing leg...waiting to see if my brain comes up with anything or not.  So far I got, make a cast from a different leg and replace the missing leg.  I'm waiting for a better idea, haha.  Maybe make a cyborg or combine it with something as part of a scene....plenty of other stuff to work on in this batch though.

Thanks for the suggestions and information!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »
I hate to say it, but you may want to take the horse with the broken leg out to the back pasture...   she isn't very valuable even on a good day, I think sculpting a new leg for her while very kind, may not be worth the effort.

But it sounds like you are crafty- so I bet you will like experimenting with apoxie-sculpt!  I personally love the stuff but a lot of people don't- it feels very STICKY so wear gloves while you are using it and actually wearing a LOT Of hand lotion also helps-  (even on the gloves).  THe lotion is also good for smoothing stuff out.

It is, unfortunately, not cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt-1-Lb-White/dp/B0013UDWXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464384053&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=apoxie+sculpt&psc=1&smid=AFILJP1H66B1M

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
I like the green, yellow and purple unicorn. OMGS! Fashion Star and Fantasy Fillies!!! The little remcos are precious! Look at the little black totsy! You got great stuff!

Perhaps you can pass some of them onto customizers/restorers if you feel they are out of your comfort zone?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:40:02 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »
The little butterfly doll reminds me a bit of a Shimmer.  I vaguely remember mermaids, and if she is one, she might be worth a little bit of money since those have a following too. :)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 09:42:02 PM »
I saw this lot!  Considered bidding on it.  I'm glad someone on the boards got it.  :)

Thinking that mermaid dolly might be Seawee? and not a shimmer?  Sold the butterfly/angel version of her not too long ago.

Was wondering about those ballerina re-rooted ponies; how did they turn out?
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »
lol, I was a bidder on that lot, but my max was 10, I was surprised the lot went for so much but even counting only mlp, that went for only about a $1 or $1.50 a pony. 

My suggestion for the mermaid pony is contact Nightlight if she's still around, or another customizer who does merponies, and see what they will charge you to repair her? I noticed the tape in the picture and figured the leg was broken on the fantasy Pegasus, even though it wasn't specified in the description.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

lostpony

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:48:13 PM »
I updated the posting with a pic of progress so far and a link to more pics!

(here they are again for convenience though)

Here's a link to the in-progress pics and the ebay pics all jumbled up of course...with closeups of the leg glue joints
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzP8lAXs8KOWWnVJY0haNTI2eWc

Leave a Whisper:  There is no such thing as out of my comfort zone but, are you volunteering?  See a project you want to take on perhaps??  Don't be shy...there's enough to go around. 

Sugarberry:  The ebay listing said that's a Butterfly Shimmer and it seems to be dehaired at the moment....guess I'll have to assess it and the Fantasy Filly and see if I can recoup something on them.

scarletjul:  How did she do as to price?  The ballerinas seem to be just fine, the hair is superlong, wasn't frizzed at all and there is a ton of melt or glue or whatever inside the head and they seem very stable.  The one is obviously rainbow and the other one is pink with gold...very gold.  When they are dry I will put up some pics!

lunar_scythe:  Ah that explains why the mermaid is described as "Nightlight".  Wonder if that person will want to see it again in the condition it arrived in....thanks to the lousy packaging she's in MUCH worse shape than pictured in the auction.  I'm not quite sure why I bid so much, I think the merpony had something to do with it....SOO disappointing to see it crushed.  Mostly the tail though.  The head and body gems are still very well done and, stable unlike the other painted over things in this junk lot.  The broken leg was mentioned in a question/answer that was added....it's all fixed now though, not invisible but pretty strong.  Turns out the wings don't open very far and kinda ruin it as a Pegasus for me....I might move it along. 

*Question:  Any ideas where / how to find Nightlight?

Ok so I had an idea for the horse without a leg, maybe replace all the legs with fins and make it a My Little Leviathan!  haha or, maybe a horse with wheels....or a hover-horse, yes that's it.  ...OK not.

Thanks everypony !  All the support here has really made this pile of odds and ends a lot of fun. :frolic:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:52:33 PM by lostpony »

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Big box of trouble on ebay: custom fails, bait... **Now with Pics!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 11:41:11 PM »
That partially finished Queen Chrysalis looks like she could be fun, I'm not sure about my scupting abilities, so it could be nice (They aren't projects, but I do like the sculpted mane Pinkie & the McDonalds Ponies)

Oh! And if you're intersted in knowing, the G2 is Ivy, specifically the Basket Surprise release that also had SweetBerry

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 12:36:35 AM »
Funny thing, I think I re-haired that Green styling Rarity and painted her for someone here as a trade.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »
I've seen that lot on eBay for a while now! The bronze and black RD and green Rarity in particular jumped out at me (though I don't customize) - I'm interested to see what you do with those.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal