collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: getting rid of pen marks?  (Read 690 times)

Offline CustomsRfun

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Wanted: MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise
    • View Profile
getting rid of pen marks?
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:11:50 AM »
A seller i bought from was late sending me the ponies i bought so she "chucked in" an extra pony for my patience...
And it's a FRENCH Applejack.

Unfortunately some kid decided to write a letter on her forehead in pen.

Is there *any way* to make that disappear???

Thanks
Open for Customs Commissions :)

LOOKING FOR:
MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: getting rid of pen marks?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:19:44 AM »
yes sun fade it of and the great thing is your pretty much in summer time now, just wrap the pony up in tin foil  leaving the pen marks exposed and pop it out under the sun in a safe place like on the windowsill.
the foil will protect the other parts like paint and hair from fading  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
Sun fading will fade the mark :) As shabby said you need to cover up the rest of her, to protect the symbols, eyes and hair from fading.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »
Sunfading.  :)  But cover up all the parts of the pony EXCEPT the spot that you want to fade.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use acne cream.  Some collectors still recommend it, but it's a bad idea!

Here are some acne cream victims:  http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/141012572468
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
But, the pen mark will be then replaced by a whitish spot? She won't be orange under it, will she?
Don't want to ruin a french pony....

LOOKING FOR:

Offline chaosprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »
I purchased a generation 1 half note that had pen marks on her body including her cutie mark and what I did was I first put her in a bowl of oxi clean/ with boiling water due to she had pin dot mold but I figured I would use the oxi clean water mix to help with the pen marks as well,  but once the water cooled I took a mr clean magic eraser dipped it into the oxi clean water and scrubbed the spot and the pen mark came right off some ponies maybe more stubborn then others when it comes to stains, but that seemed to work for me with ponies sunfading marks works better on white ponies then colored due to whatever part is exposed will fade hope this helped.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:47:24 PM by chaosprincess »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »
I'd be reluctant to use harsh products such as oxi-clean. French Applejack has metallic painted symbols and the metallic may rub off with too much scrubbing or harsh treatment.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

demonwolfspirit

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »
I think the oxi clean method is fine I used it on a gen 1 TAF Sundance whose body was covered in  pen marks and to be specific it was black ink. That was the only thing that got it off, I tried the other methods but none of them worked. I guess it is a matter of how much you use. And Chaosprincess is right sunfading the pony would just diminish her color or have her head and body not match. Which either way does not look very good.

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 03:23:45 AM »
PKW: the mark is on her forehead, so the oxy clean won"t touche her symbol paint.
But now i have to find Oxy-clean, as i live in Europe that stuff is not sold here (or under another name i bet)

Thanks (i'll try with a magic eraser, first, if i can find one in shops there, that is)

LOOKING FOR:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »
I think you're going to find that sunfading is the best way to remove the ink stain! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »
I think you're going to find that sunfading is the best way to remove the ink stain! 
Even on a colored pony?

And as a side note, as i thought, no way to find a single "magic eraser" here... stupid country

LOOKING FOR:

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
Even on a colored pony?

And as a side note, as i thought, no way to find a single "magic eraser" here... stupid country

Certainly - I've sunfaded colored ponies many times.  Here are some of my before and after pictures of a Paintingtime I sunfaded (and rehaired):

You do need to keep checking to make sure the body color hasn't started to fade, but in most cases, the mark will fade long before the pony will.  The only ones I've really had problems with have been pink and purple G3s.

I found an old thread with some alternate names for cleaning products outside the US that might help: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,363520.0.html  Magic erasers are melamine sponges.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »
I'm always confused with coloured ponies whether to just cover the eyes/hair/symbols and put the whole pony in the sun, or to cover the whole thing in foil and just make holes where the pen marks are.  I have a few ponies with pink and yellow hi-lighter, and one with a faded blue stain.  (Two of these are Mimics so I don't want to mess it up!)

Breyer that Painting time looks wonderful!  Can you tell us more of exactly how you did it?  How long did it take to get those results?  And did you turn the pony over so the side with the marks wouldn't get lightened?

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 10:06:26 PM »
I suggest trying strong dish soap and a Teflon safe scrubber first. A lot of marker is actually washable.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »
I'm always confused with coloured ponies whether to just cover the eyes/hair/symbols and put the whole pony in the sun, or to cover the whole thing in foil and just make holes where the pen marks are.  I have a few ponies with pink and yellow hi-lighter, and one with a faded blue stain.  (Two of these are Mimics so I don't want to mess it up!)

Breyer that Painting time looks wonderful!  Can you tell us more of exactly how you did it?  How long did it take to get those results?  And did you turn the pony over so the side with the marks wouldn't get lightened?

I've done both - if the marks are extensive I only do the painted areas and hair.  If you cover only the hair and painted areas, any fading you do get will be more even and usually less obvious.   Sometimes, it better to cover everything except what you want to fade though - TAFs are a pain otherwise.

Unfortunately, I'm really bad at remembering to take before and after shots and keeping track of just how long it took.  I did Paintingtime a few years ago; so, I'm not sure how long it took for her - the dates on the photos put them about 8 months apart, but I'm sure she wasn't sunfading that entire time (probably not even half of that).    I found a couple more colored ponies that I sunfaded and have before shots of - Peppermint Crunch and Love Melody.  In both cases the marks were extensive enough that I only covered the painted areas (I removed their tails but didn't bother covering their manes for reasons that will be apparent when you see the pictures).  I really wish I could remember how long they sunned - it was a very long time.  Peppermint Crunch is maybe a shade lighter than the one in my collection, but that could be because mine is slightly yellowed.  Love Melody did fade considerably (but she was already badly discolored and pretty much bait before anyway - even faded she looks much better now).  One thing I did try with Love Melody that I avoid doing now due to the results was to try the paint method of covering her symbols - I either needed a different type of paint or needed to get it on thicker as her hearts faded right through the paint anyway.  (Peppermint Crunch's paint was covered with foil.)

Here they are.

Peppermint Crunch (I have no idea what that is on her and I'm still trying to figure out how to get the stain out of her tail):

Color Comparison (sunfaded on right):

Love Melody: