collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paint chipping on custom - what did I do wrong?  (Read 479 times)

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Paint chipping on custom - what did I do wrong?
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:17:47 AM »
So we just got back from our mini road trip with my new travel buddy Scout (http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379117.0.html).  Unfortunately, Scout didn't make it through unscathed. She's got a paint chip out on the bottom of one of her feet. Luckily it isn't visible in any pictures, but I'm worried the more I take her on travels, the more she'll chip.

I FBR'd her in several thin coats of acrylic paint. The paint was somewhat watered down - I would dip my brush in water, then in the paint, then apply. After the FBR, she was sealed with mod podge gloss. I didn't like the gloss, so I got some Testor's dullcote and applied 2 coats of that. Then when I rehaired her, she got a couple small chips around the plugs, so I touched those up, covered up her hair, and resealed her whole body with Krylon® UV-Resistant Clear Matte.  So she's had 3 different sealers and still chipped!

What did I do wrong? Should I have primed her first? I should be able to touch this chip up well enough, but I'm worried next time she'll chip in a more noticeable spot!

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
Re: Paint chipping on custom - what did I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:09:09 AM »
chipping around the hair plugs is common.
what re rooting method are you using?

some things that might help.
-use a tak or  larger needle to  widen the plug before  re rooting.
-use  a re rooting tool , if your not using that method already.
-try not to over load each plug, use less hair if necessary.
-make sure the  paint and sealant has had adequate time to dry before attempting to re root
- take your time when re rooting.  don't rush thru the task.

Post Merge: May 25, 2016, 04:11:17 AM

also stick to 1 type of sealant.
mod podge is not ideal, use a higher quality product like  liquitex or  Testor's dullcote
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:11:17 AM by pyrodarknessanny »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:12:42 AM »
I've found that sometimes G1s have a bit of an issue with paint staying attached to their bodies and end up making rather delicate customs. One thing that helps is spraying the bait with Dullcote before painting. It gives the paint a better surface to attach too and it tends to cling better then. Of course, you'll still need to seal after as well. It may be a bit late to help your travel buddy without starting over (a more durable sealant might help, Mr. Super Clear comes to mind) but it is something to keep in mind for next time though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »
well...I'll say what you wont want to hear ;) customs are pieces of art meant for display. If you plan on lugging her around in the car, your purse, and on travel generally, she's probably going to chip, get scuffs to the paint, etc. even if you're super careful with her. Plus if you leave her in your car (a very hot place), especially where the sun can get to her, the problem can be worse as the heat *and* sun will cause problems with the paint/sealer

as for chipping when rehairing. it happens. I've had it happen on a handful out of the hundreds I've done - G1s especially as their plastic is a bit softer and the extra give when rehairing (even if you're careful) can chip.

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
Yeah I use a rehairing tool, and did notice when inserting that the plastic gives quite a bit and the paint was starting to bubble. I was able to smooth most of it down and hide the damage with her hair though.

I did expect her to get some damage being a travelling custom, just thought she'd last longer than 3 hours into our road trip! LOL

I guess I'll just have to touch it up as best I can and be super careful next time. I was thinking about making her a little padded mini carrier, like a cat carrier, to protect her even more instead of just putting her in the car console or lose in a backpack.

Do you think paint is more likely to chip on a FBR vs an airbrushed pony? I'm not opposed to redoing her at some point and implementing any tips people have....like priming her first!

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »
paint is paint. and airbrushing, you'll still be using acrylic, so there's no real difference other than personal preference (and minimal vs no brushstrokes). using a sealer before painting will help the paint stick better as was mention above. But weather, especially heat (heading into summer) in your car will be hard on it either way. humidity can also affect it. :P
so...I would just extra seal it, do touchups as needed and don't have her loose in your backback and don't leave her in your car for long periods.

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 12:36:14 AM »
If you do end up re doing her from scratch.
Prehaps  try to find a bait that is her color so you don't have to do a FBR.
Or   dying  the bait instead of painting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal