collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 43723 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
American Girl
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:16:24 AM »
I know we have at least a couple AG collectors, is anyone else interested in a megathread? I've gotten suuuuper into AG this month and I've been dying to get into a community but AG seems really weird! The doll focused forum is closed for signups (which is only mentioned after signing up...) and the political forum doesn't seem to be very active with doll discussions I'm interested in.

I'll probably make an Instagram (even though the community seems to be mostly 9-14 year old kids I'll need to avoid, lol) and maybe a blog... but I'd love to just fawn over AG stuff with other collectors or fans!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
Re: American Girl
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »

Blog

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:54:44 PM »
I have 2 (Rebecca and a modern that needs some work;) I really should take pics.  :)

Been eyeing Mary Ellen online and in store.  She might be a gift to myself.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:02:36 PM »
*waves*  hiiiiiiiiiiii! 

At this point it is getting easier to tell people that I have collected AG dolls for over 20 years rather than tell you how many dolls I have and how much stuff I have for them... LOL

P.S.  Addy is retiring soon!  They have not announced it but they are hoping she quietly sells out so they can focus on Melody - the Detroit Motown 1960's AA girl.  :)  She is coming in July/August...

scarletjul yes you should buy Maryellen - I have her and she is so exuberant!  Makes me smile when I see her.  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:04:57 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:47:37 PM »
Sadly the photo thread seems to have been locked ):

I'd love to see photos of your girls, scarletjul!

And I was thinking of you when I decided to make the thread, lovesbabysquirmy xD I remember seeing your threads pop up from time to time with your girls' new clothes and such.

I guess I'd consider myself "collecting" since um... the 5th? xD I've wanted an American Girl since I was like 7 or 8, and I've had three minis (Samantha, Kit, and Kirsten) since 2012. I also have a Springfield Collection girl and a box of handmade 18in clothes my granny gave me for my birthday last year.

I wanted Ivy when she came out but it wasn't a huge deal. Cecile blipped on my radar too but I've since decided I don't like her facemold + curls combination. And then there was Maryellen... I was really disappointed with her at first (as her stock photos appear blonde but her book cover is very much a redhead), but thanks to lovesbabysquirmy's owner photos I realized AG is just horrible at taking stock photos! She's a real redhead, with my same hair color, something AG has never done before! I've always kind of been upset over their lack of actual redheads. She doesn't have freckles, which disappointed me, but its not the biggest deal ever.

Something happened and I just sort of... became obsessed this month. I've been reading every AG blog I can find, attempting to find AG communities, watching an endless stream of videos on YT... its ridiculous, lol. And then I started to hardcore focus on Maryellen. I watched her little movie (which is SO cute omg) and looked through her Scrapbook. It turns out that Maryellen isn't just perfect because of her hair color, but her entire character is like... this mix of everything I love! Space, science, comic-making (which I don't do anymore, but did daily at her age), and she even goes to Yellowstone!!!! I'm obsessed with Yellowstone! I was thinking how awesome it would be to have a GOTY go to Yellowstone like, 2 days before I saw her scrapbook.

So yeah xD I'm doomed. If all goes well I'll be getting her for my birthday next month! I'm hoping to also get the Lori doll camper because its perfect for mini Maryellen. :D

I ramble too much, so here's a few photos of my girls!

Sadly I don't have any photos of my Springfield girl, since her lips badly need repainting (I can't stand the color), but she's a redhead of course! Next time we're in LA I want to take her to the AG store and get her hair done.

My eventual wishlist is Maryellen, Ivy, Mia, and Samantha (with her old meet outfit) for sure. Maybe Sonali (or the darker dolls without hair with the Sonali mold), Nellie, #37 (my haircut :P), and/or #61. And all the mini dolls I can get my hands on!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 01:09:46 PM »
Ahhhhhh.. Still loves me some American Girl.. Have you tried this forum? http://agplaythings.proboards.com/ It moves okay.. But, yeah, AG threads are strange; they'll stay active for a minute and then just fizzle off. Let's try to keep this one active so it doesn't get locked up!!

I'm actually pairing down this year as OOAK AGs don't seem to do as well as I had originally hoped. And my studio work is what drives my collections. Always has, prolly always will! I still plan on working on several dolls and hopefully the market for artdolls will pick up. :)

I have about five dolls in what I consider my "permanent collection." Josephina, OOAK Josie, an Asian JLY whose number escapes me, Addy (waiting on OOAK) and Kaya (waiting also.) I have several other dolls that I need to rehome including Sage, Samantha and.... maybe Kristen. And bits and pieces of dolls here and there! XD

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »
AGPT is the forum I tried to sign up for on the 5th ): After going through the signup process there's a message about how they're unfortunately not accepting members at the moment and eventually all new accounts will be rejected. I looked all over the forum itself (what I can view, anyways) and there's no mention of it anywhere. If any AGPT members can find information on what's going on with that I'd really appreciate it. It seems like the most lively and populated AG forum so I'd love to get in.

I've always loved your OOAKs kCherry! I was just drooling over Elsa and Anna earlier this morning actually. Its a shame they don't do so well. I love the way you customize them! They're not too mature, like some customs I've seen, but they really stand out. I'd love to see your take on an 80's historical ;D

I'm excited to see what you do with Addy and Kaya! I never liked Addy as a kid but I've been seeing her with her hair down and redressed a lot lately. I like her a lot better with it down! I'm sure she'd make an excellent custom base.

Do any of you guys like the movies or books? I've been working my way through the movies I can find on Netflix and I want to check for the books next time I'm at the library. I want to start collecting them (the books, that is), because I don't have enough on my wishlist already >.>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:42:13 PM by Taxel »

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 06:43:07 PM »
AGPT doesn't have very many full-time moderators at the moment, so they did shut down registration.  And there have been a number of uncomfortable moments for the moderation team that is very part-time and doesn't really have the time to deal with it.    There were a number of hot-button conflicts in the past six months that really upset a lot of people...  :(  So yes, sadly, no new members. 

But it's not that busy there - it's been quiet this past week.  So yes, let's talk AG all you want here!

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
Its a shame the AG fandom seems to be such a mess. I've never been into something that has an impossible to reach community before ): I even tried signing up for the other forum I found, before poking around and not seeing much doll discussion that interests me, but that was ignored as well. In fact, a few people just had their accounts approved in the past couple days while mine remains rotting. :/ The community definitely does not seem very welcoming, haha.

I really want to get these two outfits for Maryellen, mostly for those skates! The 70s outfit will immediately go to my basically-cousin who just got her first AG doll a couple years ago, but the diner outfit is pretty cute. It would probably look pretty nice on my Springfield girl (who really needs a name!).

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:35:28 AM »
If you can't get into AGPT, there's also AGC (American Girl Collectors) - they're fairly active and are open to new members.

Sadly the photo thread seems to have been locked ):

Oh, whoops! I remembered posting there before, but hadn't realized it was so long ago that the thread had been locked!  :shocked: I guess it is time for a new thread then!  :lol:

Blog

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
That's the other forum I tried to join. My signup was ignored and I don't know what I did wrong :/ The only thing I could guess is I forgot to fill out every optional part since I was tired, but other recently accepted members didn't either. So I really don't know... But there doesn't seem to be much doll-focused discussion I'm interested in (especially when it comes to photography) and very few active members so its not the end of the world. It would be nice to get in and have something at least but oh well. Its a real shame the AG community as a whole is so exclusive.

That seems to happen a lot, haha. Looking through all the "bookmarks" in my sig every single one (except this one I just replaced an old one with) is locked. Such a shame, but I guess that's partially on me for not keeping them up. Especially since I was likely the most active poster in a couple of them at least.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »
Well let's post some pictures then!  This is by far, NOT all of the dolly crew around here! 

Meet Adeleine, Addy, and Delilah Jane:

Kaya chillin' with her pup Tatlo:

Karito Kids' Pita and Josefina make great sisters:

Jess at the Royal Tyrell Museum.  People are expressedly told NOT to climb and pose with the dinosaur statues... but dolls are excluded from such silly rules!

She also likes to watch anime and drink sake - Uhhhh I mean TEA! in her kimono:

Elizabeth in the apple tree:

Caitlyn, my 1980s doll - well if you ask my husband, this one is in his collection.... 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:25:35 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 04:14:29 AM »
Jess looks so cute in her kimono! And I love Elizabeth's outfit! I don't think I've seen anyone use Pita and Josefina as sisters but I love it. I've always had a weakness for Pita but that makes me want Fina too.

I don't have many photos of my girls, but here's the best of the rest I've got of the minis.

I'm gonna bring my Springfield girl (who I figured out a name for!) along on our trip down to Mesa Falls today so she can have nice "introduction" photos. Of course, they'll strategically have her lips hidden :P I've gotta get some paint so I can do a quick and dirty temporary repaint to get her by until I can afford a real repaint for her.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 08:16:46 AM »
I love your minis!  It's so fun how they can hide right in plain sight amongst the nature...

The Bad Trader List

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 09:19:19 AM »
Aw thank you! <3 It really is! They're the perfect size to hide out among flowers and plants. I don't think that'll be as easy to achieve with Maryellen xD

Speaking of redheads, say hello to Lena (len-uh)! :D Unfortunately I didn't get the shot I really wanted since the photos on Google that were supposedly of the falls, uh, weren't. But she photographs pretty well anyways! I'm so in love with her hair color! I want to repaint her lips/teeth (poorly >.>) when I can and have my aunt cut her hair, since the bottom portion is a big mess. Eventually I want to get her professionally repainted, restuffed/strung, dehaired, and bought a shiny new wig (same color and probably same style).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal