collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 44074 times)

Offline Olympus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2017, 12:33:49 PM »
What parts of the dolls have molded? Bodies, skin, hair, eyes? Do you have any photos? The Doll Hospital doesn't accept moldy dolls but I'm sure there's a way you can get them fixed up yourself, at least for display.

The vinyl (heads/arms/legs, different parts on each). The bodies don't have any visible mold but I'm less concerned about cleaning them than the vinyl since fabric is an easier beast to battle.

Hm, if you haven't already I'd say step one would be to take off their heads, throw away the stuffing, and remove their limbs. I'd probably restring them all even if their string isn't moldy, just to be safe.

I found these and maybe they'll help. I don't know how up to date they are.
Restoration Wizard
How do you remove mold/mildew from a vinyl doll?

There might be more tutorials on YouTube but I can't really watch videos much so I didn't look there.

I remember the days when each historical doll was in the catalog along with outfits the child could wear to match her doll.  There were like three or four outfits per doll for a child to choose from.  They even had to period shoes as well.  The catalogs were thick and showed most of the best parts of each doll's collection and accessories.

I miss the days of every doll, all the Historicals, getting their own two page spread with a lifesize (or so it seemed) photo of the doll in her meet. I remember being so mesmerized by those photos. Over and over I'd stare at them, inspecting all the different parts of their hair, eyes, and outfits. I really wish they still did that but at least the GotY gets them. Melody has one in her debut catalogue but I don't have Maryellen's to check. If she does that's a catalogue I'll have to buy!

I feel as though I have that Maryellen catalog somewhere...  :wonder: Now I must dive into the pile 'o' AG catalogs to see for myself! I will report back if I find anything.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 04, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
I was happy to see that Barnes and Noble had restocked their American Girl books today. I bought Felicity's 3 books and the 2 volume of Mary Ellen's story that I've been wanting for quite a while.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #332 on: March 11, 2017, 01:13:57 AM »
Re-joining the discussion late, but seeing the new Felicity has sparked renewed interest for me!  It's a shame about the body changes especially the cheap vinyl and sewn on underwear.  Thankfully Felicity won't be part of the perma-panties distribution, but I hope her vinyl won't be that awful squishy mess!  I'm kicking myself for not getting Lea last year when I was first looking at her; now I have resort to evil bay.  Nanea is definitely on my list too; her face is absolutely gorgeous!  Also, I can't help but feel slight obligation to get her since she represents my state, lol. :P

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
It's possible you'll get a body with the regular seam darts... but they have already switched over to the new fabric for Felicity bodies.... it's basically thick pantyhose.  :( 

I can't find any instagram accounts to link you to pics, but they are on AG Playthings, under the "2 Versions of Tenney meet outfits" - because apparently, there is a nice version and then a super cheap version of her meet outfit!!!

AUGH I am so angry about all of this.  I am on total AG Boycott. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:38:22 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #334 on: March 11, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »
What?!?! Seriously?!?! I was just starting to warm up to Tenney and thinking I might scoop an overly loved one off of eBay after a while... wow. I'm really just stunned. I didn't think things could get worse. This is just... why?! Is Mattel seriously trying to sink the brand?! It doesn't make any sense!

I guess I need to hurry up and get the Wellie stuff I want asap before they get trashed too...

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2017, 03:06:29 AM »
Nanea is definitely on my list too; her face is absolutely gorgeous!  Also, I can't help but feel slight obligation to get her since she represents my state, lol. :P

I was so annoyed about Tenney's meet that I missed your post, but I totally get what you mean! I don't even like Idaho but I've been wanting Kaya so bad to "represent" (probably because it drives me nuts when people shoehorn her as a strictly Oregon girl). Photos of her didn't really do it for me, which I found disappointing, and then I saw her in person... now I'm doomed! She's so pretty, and she'd be really fun to take around the state and to places like Grand Teton and Yellowstone.

Offline Akemi-chan

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »
Nanea is definitely on my list too; her face is absolutely gorgeous!  Also, I can't help but feel slight obligation to get her since she represents my state, lol. :P

I was so annoyed about Tenney's meet that I missed your post, but I totally get what you mean! I don't even like Idaho but I've been wanting Kaya so bad to "represent" (probably because it drives me nuts when people shoehorn her as a strictly Oregon girl). Photos of her didn't really do it for me, which I found disappointing, and then I saw her in person... now I'm doomed! She's so pretty, and she'd be really fun to take around the state and to places like Grand Teton and Yellowstone.

Tenney wasn't on my list as well, but after seeing owner pics and box openings I'm slowly coming over!  I know I definitely want to get her other outfits and accessories.  She reminds me of Taylor Swift when she was making country music. ^_^  What's stopping me (besides funds) are all the defects people are finding with Tenney; meet outfit cuts like lovesbabysquirmy mentioned, new body with the smooth nylon that apparently has a chance to get picked by velcro, and thinned wigs (although AG has had this happen throughout the years).  There are several threads about Tenney on AGPT.  At least they have a no questions exchange policy, but I don't know about the new body.  I guess you can always buy an older body from the second hand market and switch them out.

Kaya is much more pretty in person!  When AG opened a temporary location in Honolulu to test the market here, I was able to see the Historicals in person.  I even toyed with the idea of getting Kaya and turning her into a Hawaiian girl since she looked the part with her hair down.  Instead, I ended up getting a Sonali from ebay and rewigging her. 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:31:52 PM by Akemi-chan »

*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #337 on: March 15, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
Tenney has really been growing on me too. Probably not enough to own her (except maybe as a cheap TLC doll on eBay/Craigslist) but I really like her freckles and the Tenneys with lighter lips. The darker color is a nice change of pace, though some of them are definitely way too dark for my taste.

I think I figured out my issue with Kaya. Most of the ones I've seen appear to have absolutely no face paint at all, so they look like a blank unfinished doll. I saw one with a bit of color in her cheeks/lips and she photographed so well! Even though it was just a quick cellphone snapshot she looked great.

Offline Akemi-chan

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »
@Taxel I'm actually the opposite of you regarding Tenney's lips; I love the dark color!  It makes her brown eyes seem richer.  I think she's on my shopping list next.  I'm planning a trip to Disneyland in May and want to make a trip to the AG store in LA while I'm there.  At least that way I can hunt for the perfect Tenney in person. 

*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 15, 2017, 05:18:37 AM »
The MCM sale list is up.

https://madisonchildrensmuseum.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/american-girl-benefit-sale-price-list-for-saturday-july-22/
You beat me too it! I'm already disappointed that the only clothes for historicals are Melody's things. Was hoping for Kit & Addy things.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »
The MCM sale list is up.

https://madisonchildrensmuseum.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/american-girl-benefit-sale-price-list-for-saturday-july-22/
You beat me too it! I'm already disappointed that the only clothes for historicals are Melody's things. Was hoping for Kit & Addy things.

You would think that they would have stuff for the dolls that their collections are being downsized, like Addy and Samantha. Although, Melody’s Fancy Floral Dress is on my want list. Too bad I live too far away....

sailorstitch

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 09, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »
Anybody else addicted to playing with the doll creator? :P

https://www.americangirl.com/create-your-own/

sailorstitch

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #343 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
Hi, everyone! I don't know much about current AG, but I have four from childhood that I just rehabbed. I found a Josefina at the flea market for $3 last weekend and bought her for my daughter. She also has a PC Addy that my husband found in a trade shed at the dump where we used to live. My kid has great AG luck, apparently.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 27, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »
My mom bought Kaya's new dress at the Indy store yesterday. After we got home she put the dress on Kaya. She laid her down for a bit and accidentally laid her on a newspaper. Now Kaya's new dress has ink stains on the back.  :(

Kaya dress stain by Elizabeth, on Flickr

What is her dress made of? The tag inside doesn't say. Any ideas on how to clean it?

sailorstitch

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal