collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A question about price checks  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: A question about price checks
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
-Do other UK buyers feel that they pay more and just accept that that's just how things are (i.e ponies are more expensive here as they are less available) and if so is there a way you work out the value or your collection vs what you paid (in my head this should be equal if you got it right)

Probably true, because of shipping and import duty, it's not necessarily because the sale price is higher). I don't think the relative UK / US economy price situation is relevant for second hand ponies, as most second hand pony price check values are done in $US and on Arena sale prices in Euros or £ are often converted from the core $US (because originally everything was done in $US). If you ask for a PC on the Arena, it's almost always given in US$. That means that the relative price scale is academic. The price is the $US price, even in £ or Euros. The issue is with the shipping and import, and how each customs views that import value in terms of threshold. But then again, I see what Sugarberry is saying, as well. If you sell a pony for $3, realistically, what does that pay for in UK £ Sterling? The £ is not strong at the moment, but it's still a bigger currency. So in a secondary way the impact of that price maybe influences how a seller sells their ponies.

Historically, the UK had a very strong position, however. It's the same as what we see with Nirvana communities now, with supply and demand. The larger the UK online market became, the lower the prices dropped for our native variations. It is no longer always viable to sell or trade those at a value that covers the excess we will pay on import duty on a pony (especially since the US don't, I think, pay import duty on parcels received). I know Canada does, and I think, worse than the UK. Not sure about other places such as AUS - I think some in Europe do.

Shipping within the EU is one option, because of the lack of custom fees - but Euro prices tend to be higher and the range of ponies is also different.

Most of my US collection came from trading carboot UK ponies for flea market US ponies way back when, so I've had more trouble buying accessories than ponies - but I always make a loss on what I sell. Another problem people don't mention is the growing trend of dealers buying lots on ebay to resell as separates. There's nothing wrong with that as a business proposition, but you also have to remember that if you spend, say, £50 on a lot, and there are 10 ponies, you then need to sell those ponies each for £11 or so to make a profit. Add to that postage and maybe it's £12 per pony. Now, if one in that lot is a £30 pony, you're free to make a bit of a loss onthe others, it will balance. But that is the reason you see a lot of people selling "up" on Ebay with loose ponies at higher prices.

This buying and splitting of lots has become more common over the years. Of course, there are also collectors who buy lots with ponies in they need and then sell on the doubles - I think we all sometimes do that to save on shipping or import - and I'm not saying resale is bad. Just that it is one reason prices go up.

UK pony prices have dropped considerably from the $300 baby Applejack of years gone by. It means we have less of a position to negotiate from in terms of trade and sale - people in other places can now get items they want from local people who have imported for a collection and then sell on. You see a lot of "UK" ponies now being sold on Ebay.com, and America is still the biggest pony collecting market. With the additional shipping from the UK abroad, it means undercutting sale prices for UK ponies becomes essential.

But it's not that the situation is necessarily unfair. It's just how it is when you collect. I expect to make a loss, and I don't really consider my collection in terms of value, rather how much I like having them. I think too many people get tied up in "value" and thus lose the appeal and the simplicity of just having the ponies themselves. Obviously some mental note is good, because you don't want to exceed your budget - but we don't collect to break even, really. It's not realistic to think that we ever would, no matter where we are in the world.

Also, congrats on giving up smoking :) Ponies are DEFINITELY more healthy!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
It is no longer always viable to sell or trade those at a value that covers the excess we will pay on import duty on a pony (especially since the US don't, I think, pay import duty on parcels received). I know Canada does, and I think, worse than the UK. Not sure about other places such as AUS - I think some in Europe do.

Just for general info, Australia does have an import tax, but I've never had to pay it, so I'm not sure what it is, but it is only taxed on items with value excluding postage of $100AUD. It's very rare that I would buy that many ponies in one go from somewhere international!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 04:43:52 AM »
It's very good to not smoke ponies...

I compare pony collecting to previous wasteful habits I've had, and having something to show for my spending is a big difference.  The more time I spend enjoying them, the more their value grows.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »
I came across this late. For pricing, I look at sold auctions on eBay. I find during the summer months is when you can get the best deal. And I have created my own price guide and add to it monthly. It's in my signature.

It's best not to buy around Christmas or even during the winter and early spring if you're looking for a deal. That's when prices are at their highest. Some ponies go up in price, others have come down and some yet have remained steady in the years I have been keeping my guide.

But what has changed is shipping prices. They are always on the rise. So I do feel sorry for international collectors. I realize it's cheaper for us in the states.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
It's also worth mentioning at the moment exchange rate is a key factor.

I'm holding off on buying from abroad until the pound recovers somewhat. Right now it's just not worth the damage, since £1 should average around $1.6 and it's currently below $1.4.

Add shipping on that and you really will be overpaying.

So it's worth checking the conversion before you bid at the moment. Hopefully that's only temporary.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
I would hold off buying abroad too. U.K. eBay is slow at the moment... I have lots on and nothing shifting. I don't think my prices are unreasonable... But people are worried and weary about what's occurring... With the current economic climate.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 04:12:26 PM »
I would hold off buying abroad too. U.K. eBay is slow at the moment... I have lots on and nothing shifting. I don't think my prices are unreasonable... But people are worried and weary about what's occurring... With the current economic climate.

It's a better time to sell in $US, actually.

As for buying and selling, people holding off is understandable but the economy needs people to carry on, in order that money keeps moving. So I would say still buy in the UK for sure, if the price is right, and sell abroad, but don't buy from abroad till we have a more stable currency.

UK ebay is also always slower in summer, because people are saving for holidays and such.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:14:22 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal