collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!  (Read 11596 times)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »
Yes the real one is on the right with the necklace on :) 

I also want to mention that the red haired tootsie that I have is one of 2 identical ponies that have been found. Mine was bought from the Hasbro employee store in Rhode island by a little girls father who had a day pass back in the 80's. And there was one in Helens collection as well. Another well known collector, kitkatvintage, now has her. Both of these ponies also have slightly different symbols than the regular release.

Perhaps these oddities were created in very small batches? Maybe like the Thailand boys were? Production tests?

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,306557.20/wap2.html

In reverse gustys case maybe they were scandinavian production tests?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:19:00 PM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
Maybe. The problem with that assumption is that it derives from RI, not from the UK. We know (you have some of the proof! LOL) that Hasbro UK did some really odd things for production (like painting ponies, and so on). We also have the issue of Susie and Billie. It's not for sure if Lady G's Billie is or is not the one whose photo was circulated online before she acquired hers - we've never managed to trace the source of that image or whether the pony was the same one or not. My Susie seems to be a one and only, which implies that sample ponies (if that is what Susie is, and we don't know for sure) came in the singular, if they weren't painted. Hasbro UK liked to save money by repeating particular poses for certain sets, painting ponies (like your Paintingtime..?), cutting ponies from sets that were bigger in the US, cutting whole sets and so on. The Thai Mountain Boys have turned up in people's childhood collections from ponies bought new on card, so although they are strange, they were sold. We haven't any evidence of RG in that sense at present. I would love it if we did, but we don't.

So I can see her as a one off sample, like your Paintingtime, or Susie - but I don't think Hasbro UK ever had the resources to go wholesale on production experiments. If they did, I'm sure we'd have had a lot more ponies here than we ultimately did, such as 2nd set TAF, Rainbow, Princesses etc, instead or just continuing to produce and release the original set.

It's pretty much for sure they didn't bother making Paradise or selling PE here under their own steam, just used the US set without Paradise, as the boxes here in the UK are the US box. They planned a pony, created a prototype, advertised it then never made it at all. We don't even have advertising for Gusty's set here. I genuinely can't imagine Hasbro UK pushing the boat out on an export item when they didn't do it on their native sold products!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
Good Points Taffeta. I wish we knew more. Well here is a recap of what we currently know..

Reverse Gusty Characteristics

- She was found in the UK although she probably originated from scandinavia.

- Her symbols are unique unto herself. The symbols are silvery purple instead of stark purple. The delicate pattern is different from the UK, Scandinavia or standard HK release. ( I have compared her to as many pictures of scandinavian gusty as I can find and the symbols are very different)

- Her stripe is a slightly deeper green than the HK Gusty (I still need to compare her to a SS gusty)

- Her hair is factory woven and has distinct factory glue for the finish

- She has a small tail washer.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:35:21 PM by Ember1 »
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »
Taffeta and Ember1 there are some lovely comparison pictures of UK, US and Scandinavian Gusty in the nirvana gallery :)

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=216621

Ember1 I know you are certain that your first pony is fake, how did ypu come to own her and what made you feel iffy about her? Was it a gut feeling that she wasnt "right". I remember you asking about testing her a while back.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 03:34:25 PM »
I was never 100 percent certain she was fake.. but I suspected there was a chance she wasn't real ..I think it was something to do with her weave on the inside of her head.. It seemed very lock and loop technique to me. I got her from an eBay auction 10 years ago.. The auction was from a lady I believe who was in the US if I recall right.

But  It wasn't until I could hold the real reverse gusty and do a side by side comparison that I now see the major differences..

Fake weave

Real Weave
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:51:14 PM by Ember1 »

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 04:10:24 PM »
I can't find any photos of my scandi gusty, which is infuriating, they must have been on the hard drive I lost, and not online for some reason, but I feel like I remember her being weird, and I'm sure I posted about that somewhere, although it was probably on fb, and I'll never find the post. Something about her wasn't like the one posted in the nirvana gallery here, because I'd studied it when I was actively looking for her, and I remember when I got her (after I stopped looking, she popped up on ebay here sold as a normal Gusty, I think I paid $7 or something) and something about your RG just felt familiar to me, I'm sure it's the silvery symbols, which I probably attributed to fading or something. She's packed away at the moment, if I could get at her I'd know for sure, but my packed ponies are under all the stuff from my Mum's house, and there's a LOT of that, she lived in that house for 25 years.. No pony is escaping from there right now!

At any rate, she feels Scandinavian to me. I know that's probably really stupid, and I'm no Nirvana expert, but that's how I feel about her. At any rate, she's beautiful and HUGE congrats Ember!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Wow, Ember, whoever did that fake one really went all out trying to mimic the hair weave. Good eye to catch that! Scammers suck!  :pullhair: :argh: :enraged:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 04:45:59 PM »
Thank you for sharing this!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »
I don't think the 2nd reverse Gusty is necessarily fake.  It's true that she is not quite the same as the most documented reverse Gusty (the one that used to be Wolfie's), but the factory weave still looks convincing to me (and it can be messier on some ponies than on others) and lots of ponies have small variations in symbol color and so on.

Does Scandi Gusty normally have glitter symbols?  Or painted symbols?

To me reverse Gusty feels more like "factory mishairs" than production samples.  Just because the hair was "wrong" doesn't mean Hasbro quality control would automatically toss the pony.  I mean, Hasbro let a bunch of Twinkle Eye ponies get sold on Baby Sea Pony cards, which I think would be much more obvious to a factory worker than the wrong hair color.  To a factory worker, this is a flaw that would not be as obvious as, for example, a missing symbol.  They want the pony to have nice hair;  the pony has nice hair.

But this is assuming that Scandi Gusty normally does have glitter symbols.  If she normally has painted symbols then, yeah, a sample makes more sense.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:02:14 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:14 PM »
Scandi Gusty has glitter symbols and green eyes, she's like a cross between the two NSS Gusty's.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline ladygodiva

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 03:11:18 AM »
I do not think that is necessarily a fake. It's too perfect to be a fake. Some prototype, perhaps? Two versions of the ponies?

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »
If she was simply a mishair then she would have the exact same symbols as hong kong gusty. Her symbols dont match any gusty.  They are silvery purple instead of stark purple and have delicate and detailed leaves instead of clunky leaves. I have compared her symbol to the fake gusty, a hong kong gusty, and all the photos i can find of the scandinavian gustys and its not the same.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:06:33 AM by Ember1 »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
I did a look through your information PWK. Thanks so much

The color of the scandinavian symbol compared to my reverse gusty is spot on.
The way the hair falls is also spot on.
What bothers me is her symbols are shaped differently. The stems on my reverse gusty are very thin and curve more. Perhaps she was a scandinavian test color for the fable gusty and they used a slightly different stencil on her?

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe Sarah-Bee sold her Reverse Gusty.   :shocked:

My thoughts exactly! :shocked:

Congrats though ember1 she is beautiful and one of my faves! :heart:

Here is my girl:

I got mine on Ebay UK in an unmarked auction i think 10 years ago now, her head was sealed when i got her but i opened her up to check her weave, i did try and get mine confirmed yonks ago as I messaged Kcat and hoped i could send her to so she could test the glue on her neck but she never replied. :( The factory weave makes me believe mines is genuine as it is extremely neat and looks like a fish tail braid close up (hard to see in pic) although mines doesnt appear to have glue inside her head!? Not sure if rehairers tend to glue inside ponies heads or not as i dont have alot of experience with them!?

I do have Scandanavian Gusty (i will need to take comparison pics). I havent noticed much difference between them other than my reverse gusty has black/brown lashes and my scandi has black lashes (again hard to notice will try and take comparisons) and their symbols are slightly different. Ill add pics tomorrow!

Thats neat about the streak being darker im going to compare mine in daylight! I also need to check her washer!

Babydoll~
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:32:46 PM by Babydoll »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal