collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Winger with possibly replaced wings and wasn't mentioned in listing  (Read 1483 times)

Offline PrincessTiffy

• Trade Count: (+233)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

So I bought some ponies from someone here through their ebay account. I've bought/sold to them before and they are wonderful to work with and have never had a problem. And I haven't contacted the seller yet because I'm not sure if their is a problem since I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about first.

They had some ponies listed that I've been wanting for a long time and I put on my watch list. With a couple days left and still no bids on any of the ones I was interested in I decided to ask if they would consider a buy it now. We came to an agreement on the prices and she changed the listings to add a buy it now option and I bought them right away and paid. I got the ponies the other day and they are lovely but as I was getting ready to give them a bath I looked more closely at the glue around one of the ponies I bought. The pony in question is starry wings. The glue was visible in the listing pictures and I didn't mind. But after looking at it in person it looks different from factory glue that I've seen on my other vintage ponies. I even scratched a little and it came off. I very gently, and without a lot of pressure wiggled/pulled on her head and it started to lossen and I noticed that part of her neck/neck seem seemed to be cut and that her wings are more loose than my other wingers. Now I don't know very much about the wingers and I only have four others to compare starry wings to, one being a high flyer I also purchased from them. But her wings move around when gently wiggled. And I know that they can be replaced and that some people make beautiful reproduction wings. I don't have a problem with that, but it wasn't mentioned in the listing, and I didn't think to ask since something major like that is normally mentioned. So my question is how do you tell if the wings are replacements? Again, I don't really mind, but I wouldn't of offered the price I did if I knew they weren't original. But that's kinda why I'm asking since I could be completely wrong in my suspicion since I don't know how to spot reproduction winger wings. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Tiffany :)

Here are some pictures. It was hard to get clear pictures of the cut neck/neck seam. I hope it is visible enough. If not I will try again.

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Re: Winger with possibly replaced wings and wasn't mentioned in listing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »
It looks to me like they are replacement wings but I'm not positive. This actually might be a better question for the pony corral.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
Hmmm . . . can you tell if each wing is a single piece of plastic?  Or is each wing two pieces of plastic stuck together?  The reason I ask is that I know one technique for replacement wings involves printing out the wing pattern on translucent paper, then sandwiching it between two stiff pieces of clear plastic to form the wing.

However, there may be other ways of making replacement wings as well.

The neck does look like it's either been "opened" or at least attempted to be opened.

But that may not be wing related . . . You don't have to take off the head to replace the wings, you just have to pull the "square" on the pony's back up.  The wings are a single piece and the middle portion of them is "pinned" under the square to secure them.

I am not sure about the Windy WIngs, but I know the SUmmer Wings all come in Hong Kong / China variants, and some have more vibrant wings than others.  If that's also the case with the Windy Wings then it's something to keep in mind when you look at pictures for comparison.  I'll take pics of my own Starry Wings if I can find her. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
Hmm, it's hard to say as I don't know much about winger replacement wings, but your Starry Wings' wings look exactly like the wings on mine, and there's no sign mine have ever been replaced. From the messy glue, though, it does look like both the wings and head were re-glued on; I wonder if both were loose when the seller (or whoever the seller got her from) received the pony and they tried to glue them so they wouldn't wiggle? I once used the wrong kind of glue (Tacky Glue) to fix (so I thought) a Glow 'n Show Starglow's very wobbly head. When my poor buyer received the pony, however, the heat had loosened the neck again and there was glue visible, even though I thought I had done it very neatly. One of my stupid moments.  >_< That was solved happily with a partial refund and the buyer was understanding. Maybe ask the seller if her head and wings have been glued back on, and send her some pictures of the glue, and ask for a partial refund if you feel that's fair depending on her response? I'd say the wings are real, at least, though maybe someone can make extremely convincing winger replacement wings.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:52:03 PM »
I, personally, would just ask the seller if the wings had been replaced or re-glued. You've bought from this seller before. Just make sure you don't accuse, just ask. If she says they were and hadn't disclosed it maybe she could discount another pony. She may not know herself. As for the head, it definitely looks like someone managed to move it since it's so far off center. If the seller gets defensive or seems offended just let them know that it wasn't what you were thinking it would be.

Offline PrincessTiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
Thanks guys!

I think the only way I would be able to tell is if I took her head or that little square piece off, which I don't really want to do. I guess I will contact my seller and ask them, I just hope they don't take it the wrong way.

Offline salemsparkler

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • TotallySparkler on Etsy
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 02:49:09 AM »
to me they look like the real wings, they even crease like the real wings.
the neck however does look glued - but it is not an indicator for fake wings ;-)

just a heads up from me - I think the do look ok to me.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 05:50:38 AM »
The wings look authentic to me :bigups:

It does look like her head has been removed though.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline PrincessTiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »
Ok been in contact with the seller and they said that as far as she knows starry wings is original as she has not done any restoring to her personally and asked to see the pictures of her neck. I sent them to her and she said it does look like someone did something to her and apologized and said she should of looked her over better and offered to send a little money back. I thanked her and told her it was ok and that she can't know the history of every pony. I'm so glad she took it ok and that starry wings is original for what we know of at least lol. I'm still baffled by her neck seem though. Maybe someone did a rehair on her in the past or just tried to take her head off and after not doing a very nice job and it not going well just decide to glue it. Since they are only in the one spot. Who knows lol.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
Someone could have just popped the head off to clean out her insides and then just didn't do a very good job of gluing her neck back into place.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
I'm so glad it worked out well. :)

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:13:12 PM »
Glad to hear it ended well. I don't know the first thing about Wingers so can't say if I think they're replacement wings or not, but if you're happy with her and happy with the seller's response, then Yay!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
I would guess maybe she was rerooted? Although it looks pretty decent in terms of that, maybe it was a partial reroot and using the right hair?

The wings look the same as my SW wings.

Or possibly she had some damage done to her when at her original home. The wings may have been fine but someone could've pulled her head too hard and damaged it, so a parent glued it to make it more firm. I managed to accidentally tear the neck of one of my baby ponies when I was a kid, so it does happen. Not usually to wingers, but it's possible? That may explain the wings too, perhaps a parent took the wings out for a kid to play with it, and then they later got put back in, but not so firmly? They do look like the right wings to me, comparing with mine, so that seems a possibility?

Either way, she's lucky that she's found a home where she'll be appreciated, flaws and all :) She still is very pretty, even in spite of that!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal