collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which Disney dolls do you prefer: Hasbro, Mattel or Disney Store?  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
Sorry if this topic has already been posted.... The Hasbro dolls have been showing up in Wal-Mart the last couple of months and I keep looking at them, trying to like them, and I ... just don't. They're so disproportionate, with bigger heads than bodies. Seriously, is Hasbro incapable of making properly proportioned dolls these days? (As much as I love Equestria Girls, I of course recognize that they're disproportionate. It took me a long time to be able to look past that.) It's not just that, though; their faces make them look so much younger than they're supposed to. The only doll I saw that looked good in that style was Anna. For the other characters, it had a brain-breaking effect on me. I like Mattel's much better. Proper proportions and faces that depict the right ages. And then I haven't had much experience with the Disney Store ones.... In the past I actually liked Mattel's faces better than the Disney Store ones, but I might feel differently now.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: Which Disney dolls do you prefer: Hasbro, Mattel or Disney Store?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
i was thinking about this yesterday. i saw some of the older mattel dolls right next to the new hasbro ones. so i took a picture. so different!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thought it was interesting so i thought i'd share.
i think i prefer the disney store ones, mostly cuz i like the jointed bodies.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
i was thinking about this yesterday. i saw some of the older mattel dolls right next to the new hasbro ones. so i took a picture. so different!

Honestly with Elsa the proportions on the right look more accurate to the movie but that's because the current trend in CGI movies to give them huge heads. I'm okay with them being a bit stylized but the lack of articulation makes me sad. Especially since Hasbro has given them such pretty dresses. The Mattel ones I disliked because they liked to give the princesses all identical molded glitter encrusted bodices with cheap skirts and they weren't articulated either. While the the DS dolls are articulated, there isn't a DS in this state so it's not an option for me. (I know I could buy online but then I'd have to pay shipping on top of their prices) And anyways the DS clothes have been boring lately unless you want to get a hundred dollar "Designer" doll.

I  definitely prefer Hasbro's Little Kingdom dolls to Mattel's. The new ones just have so much more character.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:18:32 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »
My favorites are the Disney store ones.  The outfits seem more detailed and the dolls appear to be slightly better quality.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
i prefer the disney store ones.
:happy:

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:44:59 AM »

Honestly with Elsa the proportions on the right look more accurate to the movie but that's because the current trend in CGI movies to give them huge heads. I'm okay with them being a bit stylized but the lack of articulation makes me sad. Especially since Hasbro has given them such pretty dresses. The Mattel ones I disliked because they liked to give the princesses all identical molded glitter encrusted bodices with cheap skirts and they weren't articulated either. While the the DS dolls are articulated, there isn't a DS in this state so it's not an option for me. (I know I could buy online but then I'd have to pay shipping on top of their prices) And anyways the DS clothes have been boring lately unless you want to get a hundred dollar "Designer" doll.

I  definitely prefer Hasbro's Little Kingdom dolls to Mattel's. The new ones just have so much more character.

Thanks for the comparison pic, Rosierjay! Ugh, even if the Hasbro one is closer to the movie style, I definitely like Mattel's better.

I don't like the molded bodice Mattel dolls, though, Wardah. But they weren't the only dolls Mattel made; that was just the cheapest line. I waited for ages and ages for a Belle to appear with fully removable clothes before I'd buy. I finally got what must have been the last Belle made by Mattel, the Royal Celebration one.

I didn't realize the Disney Store ones were better articulated. I should go check them out some more.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »
I definitely prefer the Disney Store dolls. They are more proportionate and seem truer to the characters I think. Back in the 90s Mattel jad the best ones but the more recent ones seem cheaply done. Hasbro just seemed to make them for very little girls it seems with the big heads, etc.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »

Thanks for the comparison pic, Rosierjay! Ugh, even if the Hasbro one is closer to the movie style, I definitely like Mattel's better.

I don't like the molded bodice Mattel dolls, though, Wardah. But they weren't the only dolls Mattel made; that was just the cheapest line. I waited for ages and ages for a Belle to appear with fully removable clothes before I'd buy. I finally got what must have been the last Belle made by Mattel, the Royal Celebration one.

I didn't realize the Disney Store ones were better articulated. I should go check them out some more.

The Hasbro ones have a cheapest line too but they actually have fabric dresses. I just really like the stylizedness of the Hasbro ones and that they actually create new outfits based on each princess's style. And they used Mulans green outfit instead of the infernal matchmaker outfit. The only issue I have is the lack of articulation in the arms. The only ones that have articulation are the Frozen ones with an extra outfit and an upcoming Cinderella that is in a pricey DIY set.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 02:42:42 AM »
I definitely prefer the Disney Store dolls. They are more proportionate and seem truer to the characters I think. Back in the 90s Mattel jad the best ones but the more recent ones seem cheaply done. Hasbro just seemed to make them for very little girls it seems with the big heads, etc.

I have to admit that even though I love my Royal Celebrations Belle, I did think the plastic was so lightweight that it seemed cheap. Before I de-boxed her, I had expected her to be hefty like my sole Barbie doll that I got when I was three. She definitely isn't. At least she doesn't seem hollow, though, like dollar store dolls....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:52:02 AM by Lucky_Ladybug »

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
One of the great things about the Hasbro dolls is they are in the same size range as EAH. Most of their dresses and shoes fit EAH and EAH dolls are articulated and come in a variety of skin colors.

Yes I'm hinting at hybrids.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:30:11 PM by Wardah »

Av by Moonflower.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
Oh, that's an interesting point Wardah.

I like Disney best followed by Hasbro.  For me, it's mostly about the face and articulation second.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
Definitely Disney Store. Mattel used to make awesome Disney dolls, but the quality went way downhill and they started with the molded on clothes and shoes :yucky:
My Wish List

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »
I think the hasbro dolls look more animated in their features. They look more childlike to me, so I'm thinking they're trying to make them more appealing to younger children.

What I think Hasbro did a good job on was the Little Kingdom dolls/playsets. Those little things are pretty cute.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 04:45:58 AM »
Disney Store are definitely the best ones now by a mile :lovey: :lovey:  :lovey: (Back in the 90's up to the early-mid 2000s Mattel was way better than Disney Store. The first DS ones looked cheap TBH and the Mattel ones used to be amazing). I love the articulated bodies on the DS ones now and the faces are all pretty, they look accurate and they have nice clothes - plus they are the best value for money.  and I love that there are play line ones and collector ones as well  :heart:

I really don't like most of the Hasbro ones as much as I'd like to  :sad: . I do like the Frozen ones by Hasbro . Anna is waaaay better than any Anna doll that Mattel ever made (although Kristoff WTH?!  :blink: ) .  Mulan and  Pocahontas aretn bad , neither is Belle. A lot of them just look wrong though. Snow White? Ariel? Merida? yuck!! *shudder* :yikes:  Rapunzel - the budget version is shudder worthy too - the dress is what makes her look worse I think. I bought one and customised it a bit and styled her hair and then the face aint bad...other than that its huuuuuuuge :faint:  The bubble tiara molded body Rapunzel has a much prettier face. The body proportions sortof get me the most as well as lack of articulation . I like that you can swap clothes with EAH ,  I like the non-budgety clothes on the more expensive ones , and some of them have pretty faces ..but  its like they are all about 10 years old, not grown women (with the exception of perhaps Elsa who when next to Anna looks like she could be her mom!!! especially with the Frozen Fever Hasbro dolls  :facepalm:   )  :blink:  I look at my Hasbro Rapunzel next to my DS one and think it could be her daughter :P
I like Hasbro Rapunzels face much better than the Mattel one ... if only her body wasn't so out of proportion.

Mattel? nowhere near as good as Disney Store now but... I remember how gorgeous they were in the past and I still have some of the first verion ones , and TBH for the most part I prefer their dolls to Hasbro. Comparing the Frozen fever Elsa (in the pics above and IRL) Mattel did a better job, although in this case I do actually like both versions in my collection. The last Mattel versions with the plastic molded bodice and legs that you couldn't bend? that was a bit of a no no but then compare a lot of the faces to the Hasbro ones and they *still* look better.   The first Rapunzel dolls by Mattel were really nice, as were the last Frozen fever ones, and the older Mattel dolls were lovely. The last versions of Anna were a bit dodgy- some of them had scary faces , but the body proprtions suited them better. And while Mattel started to get cheap, Hasbro for the most part are even more cheap (as in quality) .

Hasbro has done a much better job with the little Kingdom dolls though. The Frozen dolls are especially cute and much nicer than the MAttel ones :lovey: 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:53:46 AM by Ringlets »

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »
I really don't like most of the Hasbro ones as much as I'd like to  :sad: . I do like the Frozen ones by Hasbro . Anna is waaaay better than any Anna doll that Mattel ever made (although Kristoff WTH?!  :blink: ) .  Mulan and  Pocahontas aretn bad , neither is Belle. A lot of them just look wrong though. Snow White? Ariel? Merida? yuck!! *shudder* :yikes:  Rapunzel - the budget version is shudder worthy too - the dress is what makes her look worse I think. I bought one and customised it a bit and styled her hair and then the face aint bad...other than that its huuuuuuuge :faint:  The bubble tiara molded body Rapunzel has a much prettier face. The body proportions sortof get me the most as well as lack of articulation . I like that you can swap clothes with EAH ,  I like the non-budgety clothes on the more expensive ones , and some of them have pretty faces ..but  its like they are all about 10 years old, not grown women (with the exception of perhaps Elsa who when next to Anna looks like she could be her mom!!! especially with the Frozen Fever Hasbro dolls  :facepalm:   )  :blink:  I look at my Hasbro Rapunzel next to my DS one and think it could be her daughter :P
I like Hasbro Rapunzels face much better than the Mattel one ... if only her body wasn't so out of proportion.

I dunno the proportions don't bother me that much but then again I'm used to dolls with big heads. They don't seem young to me so much as cartoony. My only issue is the lack of articulation. If they were articulated I would be snatching them up as soon as I could instead of hoping to get them on a super sale.

The biggest problem DS dolls have is not everyone has a DS nearby and I could be wrong but last I heard they had rubber legs with click knees.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal