collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lets Discuss Megan and Sundance!  (Read 8785 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Lets Discuss Megan and Sundance!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »
Lovely collection! I have every different version of Sundance (well, US releases, at least), but I only have one Megan and one Molly. I would really like to get the version of Megan with the larger eyes. I think she's so pretty!
There is actually two versions of her with and without bangs - I used to own the no-bangs version but I think I accidentally sold it. Gotta find me another one.
Ooh, I've only seen the bangs version. Good luck finding the other one again!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
I'm going to play with my Megans when I get home :)   I have the Megan's Place set pretty much MIB, with Megan & Sundance, but I don't recall her having bloomers. 

Clipper used to have a regular Megan doll with the 2-tone hair.  It looked factory done, but she had light and dark blonde hair.  He asked me if I knew anything about it, but it was the first time I'd seen her like that. 

I hope hathorcat will post pics of the UK skirt comparison.  I'm interested to know if it's a variation in the shape of the embroidery, or just the pattern of colors in the embroidery are offset  (like it's from the same cloth, just cut from a different section so the pattern starts with a different color). 

I have two MIB so-soft sets at the moment. I know one of them has the blue brush / comb. I'll check on the second set I just got in.   I don't think her shoes are any different shade than the normal pink color. 

Never seen a factory braid in Sundance's hair before!  Is your package sealed and not tampered with?

As far as the TAF/Sunshine Megan goes, I have one with bangs and without.   Also, the lace trim is different on her dress.   

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also, variations in the regular US dress ruffle:

Sundance Variations: (left to right)  Hong Kong, No Country, No Country with lavender-pink hair

And why not?  TAF Sundance with different pink shade symbols.  Left one does not look faded. Just a lighter shade of pink.   Middle one may have some yellowing-discoloration thing going on, but the symbols are so much darker than the others, I think she could be different.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:09:00 PM by ashlyne »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 03:36:33 PM »
Sorry ladies...it took more digging than I thought to find the old picture

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
Can't comment on the brush and comb mystery because I'm pretty certain the UK release brush and comb are white and the ribbon for Sundance aqua (with Megan's being pink). That's 1986 anyhow, which is same year of issue I think as SS in the North American line. Our second release...can't comment on decisively because aside from wearing Country Jamboree, I don't know what other accessories or even the style of box.

I think it's probable the different NC shades of hair relate to these releases but I don't have either MIB. I have the first set complete with box but I didn't get the doll and pony with the rest of it so I can't be sure even on that basis.

My loose ponies also have slight variations, though. My pictures are not as good as ashlyne's, but still..
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/meganandsundance2.htm
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:21:53 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 06:15:14 PM »

*Drools* Oh I so need to find those other two now!

Can't comment on the brush and comb mystery because I'm pretty certain the UK release brush and comb are white and the ribbon for Sundance aqua (with Megan's being pink). That's 1986 anyhow, which is same year of issue I think as SS in the North American line. Our second release...can't comment on decisively because aside from wearing Country Jamboree, I don't know what other accessories or even the style of box.

I think it's probable the different NC shades of hair relate to these releases but I don't have either MIB. I have the first set complete with box but I didn't get the doll and pony with the rest of it so I can't be sure even on that basis.

My loose ponies also have slight variations, though. My pictures are not as good as ashlyne's, but still..

Yes White Flower Brush and White Regular Comb - have a good MIB picture of her Saved from an eBay auction of her a while back - The Country Jamboree Megan I've never seen MIB - would love to see a picture of her if anyone has it.
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »
It's only been recent that I added TAF Megan and Sundance to my want list!  Megan is so cute withthat pink stripe in her hair!  I was thinking of making a mint green overall set like she wore in the cartoon.

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 02:57:59 AM »

*Drools* Oh I so need to find those other two now!

Yes White Flower Brush and White Regular Comb - have a good MIB picture of her Saved from an eBay auction of her a while back - The Country Jamboree Megan I've never seen MIB - would love to see a picture of her if anyone has it.

Likewise. I am certain she exists - we didn't have Country Jamboree here, but I have found bits of it second hand, including a Megan wearing it...and she is advertised with that outfit in the comic and in the insert. But I guess a lot of people bought her in the first year, or maybe because it was an actual outfit in the US, it's got kinda muddled in terms of loose stuff.

I'm still looking for the box for that set. It's one of my annoying box collection gaps, but I'm sure it's probably different as the other box has the 1986 outfit drawn so particularly, and also features Honeycomb, another 1986 pony.

@Akemi-chan - you mean this set?

If so Hasbro made it already. The outfit on its own is called Country Jamboree.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:39:03 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 04:42:19 AM »
Wow, I didn't even know those skirts existed!!! Does anyone have a collection of mint in box photos to compare releases with their accessories?

I'd love to see a UK Megan mint in her box!!

Also sorry I haven't posted any of mine :( I've been feeling tired and fatigued lately...

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 05:10:17 AM »

Aaaaand something just made it to the top of my WANT LIST  *lol*

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 09:21:51 AM »
So far this thread is awesome! I didn't know about the UK aprons. Thanks so much for the reference photo cat!

Now, the only mystery in my list is the purple bird brush.
MIB Megan and Sundance (and the SS set) have the accessories taped inside a packet on the bottom fold out of the box liner. All my complete intact sets (original owner collections) have had the same accessories Ivy is showing. Only one I got incomplete with a smaller childhood lot without brushes had lavender shoes- but I am pretty convinced a childhood trade was involved in that!

So if anyone owns the so soft set MIB that you slit the tape on, could you please share which accessories you have? and which colour shoes for megan?

Things I have never seen.
UK second edition M+S wearing the aqua outfit in the package.
So soft M+S packaged with lavender shoes and a purple bird brush and comb.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:27:14 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 10:01:31 AM »
Just a little tangent, Hasbro did a switcheroo on the names of the ponywears sets Country Jamboree and Picnic in the Park.  In the Year 4 brochure they list the denim dress as Country Jamboree and the mint green outfit as Picnic in the Park, which makes more sense since Megan and Sundance are literally having a picnic in the backcard art for the mint green outfit.

^ I realize the lettering is too small to read, ha ha, but you can see "the switch" from the number of words next to each set.  I poured over this brochure as a child, so I was very confused when I got online and found they'd been reversed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:09:52 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »

Things I have never seen.
UK second edition M+S wearing the aqua outfit in the package.
So soft M+S packaged with lavender shoes and a purple bird brush and comb.

I've never seen the variant wrap skirts loose, either. Just the photo. I don't know if it is regional and I haven't seen enough MIB to figure where they come from. Hathorcat - I wonder if you know more clearly when the skirt design changed, whether it was all sold simultaneously or whether it was one batch then another? I never had nor cared about Megan and Sundance as a child and I didn't know anyone who had one, either.

With the two things you cited, FantasticFirefly, the SS accessories thing could just be a clerical error or confusion based on someone's mismemory. This isn't a set with a UK release, so it's not a UK variation, as sometimes happens in accessories...so I think it's possibly just a mistake someone's passed forward as canon. (But I might be wrong).

In terms of the Country Jamboree Megan and Sundance set, I am also really keen to see this, or just the box for this, but preferably the whole set. I found my pony with outfit and stuff in the UK so I'm sure it was a real issue, I just never spoke to anyone who had it as a kid and who is still collecting.

Being on the 1987 insert is not proof it was released here, because it's a drawing. I need to go through the Argos stuff and see if it was offered in the catalogue at any point after the other version.
It is in the proto catalogue for this year, and is shown with a white flower brush and white basic comb, like the original release, but the outfit is definitely Country Jamboree. I cannot upload or link that image though while I am at uni. Even that wouldn't prove it was issued, because Paradise is in this catalogue, but...
It is also in the UK comic, and by the time it got to the comic, there was a pretty good chance it was coming out.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mlpmedia/advert_ms2.html
Unfortunately...this doesn't show any brush or comb, although it does mention Megan's ribbon. It also says it was sold in a presentation pack RRP £13.99 which is quite expensive at the time. I don't know what original Megan and Sundance cost here without checking to see if my box has a price tag and it's at home.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
With the two things you cited, FantasticFirefly, the SS accessories thing could just be a clerical error or confusion based on someone's mismemory. This isn't a set with a UK release, so it's not a UK variation, as sometimes happens in accessories...so I think it's possibly just a mistake someone's passed forward as canon. (But I might be wrong).

Yes, with the US so soft set:
 I am thinking it could be mis-memory. The only ones I see sold on ebay with the guide's listed accessories are pieced together sets. I think that there are a whole lot of sunnybunch's without the brush, rainbows/cotton candies without the purple comb, and sweet dreams outfits without the shoes to assemble the set as listed. One collector matched up a original owner including a megan and SS sundance lot piece for piece and did get a purple brush and comb, without the corresponding pony (sunnybunch). so it may be possible. But sometimes I received original owner collections and can figure out which ponies the owner kept for sentiment from non-corresponding accessories. :P

The US/Canada adult seaponies are another there is a lot of confusion over accessories, collectors trying to track down more then the correct number of pink/purple brush and comb sets. lots of conflicting info from the various accessory pages etc. and I do know those.

The 2nd UK set:
I really like megan and sundance so they were ponies I would seek out photos of for years and years now. (I'll have to browse through old ones when I find my disk to see if I have MIB pics of those variant print aprons!)
Back on point, I have yet to see the second edition MIB. I don't know if relatives of UK children sent over outfits from Canada or America for girls who saw the advert and wanted them with that outfit, or if anyone wrote to Hasbro because of the adverts and got their outfits that way as a gesture of goodwill if they scrapped production. I just have never seen a fully intact with box set. I have it listed as a myth thus far. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:47:55 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
I just have never seen a fully intact with box set. I have it listed as a myth thus far. :)

If it was just in preproduction material, maybe. But the comic is something of a threshold. Whereas there are comic ads that are just repeats of promo booklet or insert photos, and these do contain errors, when it's a specifically done advert like the one I just linked...it generally means it exists. Especially since Hasbro would have been using up surplus Country Jamboree, matching Megan to the movie, (1987 is the year of the movie ponies, remember) and the comic ad goes to the trouble of describing all the bits to the outfit as well.

If you look at adverts for the various outfits, for the Kitchen, for Paradise Estate, and especially the stroller and pony and Hopscotch in Carnival Time etc - they're true to the actual release. Ditto the Perfume Puff palace. I am very sure that this Country Jamboree M&S did exist as a set (just as sure as I was that my Baby Half Note had white shoes xD) and its nonappearance so far means nothing. UK packages come up seldom compared with North American ones, early ones even more rarely. There is no reason to believe that not seeing it means it didn't happen. Especially when it comes to the UK...

Edit to add: It's interesting to note which pattern is drawn on the insert for the wrap skirt...
http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/thumb/6/65/MeganLeaflet1.jpg/625px-MeganLeaflet1.jpg
and on the box art:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/megsunbox3.jpg

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:26:41 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
I'm not entirely ruling it out. I haven't found her thus far, dispite looking for her image MIB fairly avidly over the years.  :biggrin:

When I was first collecting online I was told there were US collector pony stickers (someone found the UK snuzzle parlor one and didn't realize what it was for and assumed the rest were made too). What gets me as excited as a beautiful lot of ponies, ribbons and accessories is even simply finding new information about the G1 line. I find out info about a set, perhaps one I cannot afford and I'll do a happy dance. US/Canada being my primary focus and my next big love was the early UK line. I know the later ones are more $$ typically, but I have always loved the simplicity and schemes/colour palettes of the earlier ponies- so those are the ones I personally seek out for my collection, as well as scour the internet for information/in package image. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal