collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay help needed urgently! Update: case cancelled.  (Read 7327 times)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay help needed urgently! Update: not good
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »
From her message, I wonder if she misunderstood or mistraslated the Italian customs piece. I bet putting "Italian customs" into a translator could come out to mean "Itatalian traditions," since "customs" is more commonly used to mean traditions or habits. If her understanding of English isn't advanced, perhaps she does not know the other meaning of the word. I wonder if she thought you has something again her country of origin and thought you were additionally suspicious of her character after she didn't pay immediately. The way her message reads, I can imagine her thinking this, so perhaps this could explain her response.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 03:50:40 AM »
From her message, I wonder if she misunderstood or mistraslated the Italian customs piece. I bet putting "Italian customs" into a translator could come out to mean "Itatalian traditions," since "customs" is more commonly used to mean traditions or habits. If her understanding of English isn't advanced, perhaps she does not know the other meaning of the word. I wonder if she thought you has something again her country of origin and thought you were additionally suspicious of her character after she didn't pay immediately. The way her message reads, I can imagine her thinking this, so perhaps this could explain her response.

I think this is exactly what happened ^^ :nod:  :(  I don't think she would have taken your message so hard if she had understood the real meaning. Unless she lives somewhere like a large city where there are lots of international people or international trading , or she works at a place where there are lots of tourists ( or of course shes carried on learning English after school) then theres a good chance she doesn't speak it much , if at all looking at her response, or even if she does then unless she is very fluent  its still likely that she assumed that you meant "traditions" rather than the other meaning of "customs"  that we would use in this situation. There are definitely still parts of Italy where not many locals will know English,or they know only basic English - especially in the more remote parts of Italy.  :awake:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:52:26 AM by Ringlets »

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ladygodiva

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 02:09:19 PM »
I think
2/ Honestly tell your buyer that you don't ship to Italy, apologize and tell them there was an error in the listing. Refund them.
I think is the better

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »

I think this is exactly what happened ^^ :nod:  :(  I don't think she would have taken your message so hard if she had understood the real meaning. Unless she lives somewhere like a large city where there are lots of international people or international trading , or she works at a place where there are lots of tourists ( or of course shes carried on learning English after school) then theres a good chance she doesn't speak it much , if at all looking at her response, or even if she does then unless she is very fluent  its still likely that she assumed that you meant "traditions" rather than the other meaning of "customs"  that we would use in this situation. There are definitely still parts of Italy where not many locals will know English,or they know only basic English - especially in the more remote parts of Italy.  :awake:

That's what I guessed as well, in my last message to her I clarified that. She did agree to the cancellation but did not respond to my offer. Oh well, least that's over!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay help needed urgently! Update: case cancelled.
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 04:46:03 AM »
:bigups:  I'm glad its sorted now and she agreed to the cancellation too :hug:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »

Oh I bet you are right!  That dang translator program really can be so tricky sometimes!  I guess that is why I prefer to sell only to the people in Italy who are REALLY familiar with buying from the US. They know exactly what to put into the customs form to keep Italian customs from keeping it-  and when their customs office does inevitably hold the package, they know who to call and what to do to get it out. 

Alternatively, I think the easiest way around the complicated customs rules/danger on ebay itself is to just use that stupid ebay international postal shipping- even though I know it costs WAY more and drives off 80% of potential buyers- at least your risk ends when you mail it to the shipping center that is in the US- who then sends it to the country of the person who bought it.  Then, if something goes wrong or a package gets lost in customs, ebay has to take responsibility instead of you.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »
I am glad this is all moving towards resolution now but I found it interesting as I did not know the reason why so many people nixed Italy from their shipping options. I got to thinking about whether this has any impact from an EU country, where we don't require custom forms, and I decided that, no, it probably doesn't. (Although it might if we leave the EU). But I do also wonder whether this law had any impact on Hasbro's decision to make ponies IN Italy back in the 1980s...to get around custom limits or fees that were higher than trade made sensible.

I will refrain from commenting on the other issues involved.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2016, 10:59:53 PM »
vintage toys that are not toys but now collectibles for adults.

I think that might be the solution. Even if it technically is a "toy", vintage ponies are not being bought for the usual purpose of a toy, which is to be played with by children. Labeling it as a "adult collectible pony figurine" while just a small difference in wording, could make a huge difference since the rule does not apply to collectibles, only children's toys.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline DappledHazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »
vintage toys that are not toys but now collectibles for adults.

I think that might be the solution. Even if it technically is a "toy", vintage ponies are not being bought for the usual purpose of a toy, which is to be played with by children. Labeling it as a "adult collectible pony figurine" while just a small difference in wording, could make a huge difference since the rule does not apply to collectibles, only children's toys.

I was a child when I started collecting vintage toys (Though I'm only 14 now, if you still count that as a child). Vintage toys are bought by both adults and children, it appear it is more common for adults to buy vintage toys.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal