collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TOY SHOW: Hasbro introduces MLP Guardians of Harmony  (Read 43040 times)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
Re: TOY SHOW: Hasbro introduces MLP Guardians of Harmony
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »
I was never a fan of brushing hair growing up. I liked action figures and articulation. I love these and can't wait to see what else they do. Fantastic.

That's how I feel. When I was younger, anything with brushable hair just ended up gross and matted. All of my Barbie's had hair cuts. :P I was much more into action figures that I could move and bend and pose.

And I'll be honest, brushable hair isn't what got me into collecting. I still stand by the whole "ponies are only ponies if they have brushable hair" thing being an opinion and not an actual fact. I really got into collecting because of the Funko vinyl ponies and those are still ponies to me! And hey, if you think ponies are only ponies if you can brush their hair, good for you. These are still pony toys and that's all that matters.

I think these are going to be a lot of fun. The detail is amazing- even if it does look like Rainbow Dash doesn't have all 6 colors in her mane and tail...regardless, I'm very impressed Hasbro! Childhood me would've LOVED these!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:22:58 AM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
But why can't we have both? Surely it can't be too hard to ad hair to these?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 09:46:50 AM »

Personally, I think the dynamic look of these particular toys would fall flat with brushable hair. That isn't to say that Hasbro should stop making brushable ponies altogether, but for these I don't think that would work well.

Plus it even says in that statement that they aren't going to move away from the ponies we already get. Just that they wanted to make a line that goes in a new direction.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Mori_LeStrange

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:44 AM »
These look amazing! My wallet is already crying.  :P The articulation looks improved over the ponies that are currently out.

As far as brushable hair goes. It was never something I cared about as a child, or an adult collector. As a kid I never brushed my ponies hair. But they did go on lots of adventures with my TMNT toys. It doesn't look like Hasbro is getting rid of brushable ponies. Just adding this as an additional line like Equestria Girls.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
OMG SO MUCH WANT!

At first I thought- is this a joke?!   I need that Shining Armor/GIANT Spike(?) Dragon SO bad!  And CHrysalis? YAY!

I kinda love the glasses wearing Rainbow Dash-  and the accessories- and Luna and Celestia!  (Although those ones don't look poseable right?)

I can't wait!

I hope there is a way to buy a LOT of changelings (but I fear each will be in an expensive set with Twi)

Doens't Pinkie look more like an illustration than a toy at this point?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:04:31 AM by Galactica »

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
I freaking love them :D OMG!!!! That Shining Armour on Spike is all kinds of awesome :D I hope we get more pics of them from the toy fair :D These are possibly the first pony things i've been excited about in ages :D

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
Are there even going to be any new brushables at all?

I admire the sculpts and design that went on these but I will also be honest and say that I also bemoan their existence. Don't get me wrong, they're well-designed and it's great that so many like them, but I am just really annoyed at the lack of new characters, brushables, and especially the lack of effort or care they have recently given to those. What got me to buy MLP in the first place is their nice colors, simplistic charm and colorful brushable hair, and their variety despite their simplicity. I got into MLP collecting for the colorful horse dolls and certainly not for the "adult collectible" vinyls or the "SuPeR AwEsOmE xXxeXtReMeXxX!!!" action figures.
Maybe it's because I don't like the FiM show anymore that it's hard for me to appreciate these.

Now, I am not against changes, and I'm not saying these shouldn't exist, I think these will definitely do well, but I just think non-brushables should not overtake most-almost 50-60% of the toys.
While an MLP toy does not need hair to be an MLP toy, brushable hair was MLP's main thing since its conception, they really shouldn't minimize that or worse, take it away.
Couldn't they at least use the sculpting/detail that went on to these for the brushables too? We still don't even have a proper round-eyed unicorn head mold or an almond eyed pegasus+earth pony mold.

I do like articulation and I would definitely appreciate articulated brushables that have more dynamic sculpts like these. (And NEW characters of course)

sorry for the long rant
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:24:16 AM by mlly »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »
That expression on Twilight's face is hilarious.  I was wondering if these were Hasbro or a third party parody.

I have to agree with mlly above.  Could we get brushable ponies and new characters with this degree with design?  It seems like another distraction rather than actually sustaining the brand.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
I'll pass. Definitely not my thing.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
Judging by the fact that there is 1 brushable for, like, every 10 molded-hair figures, I'd say it looks like Hasbro is getting rid of brushables altogether.
My money shall be spent elsewhere.  I should have given up on the ponies long ago, but I gave them a chance.  Never again.
Looking at these just makes my blood pressure skyrocket.

Offline wlyteth

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Making a effort to use less exclamation points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »
I love these so much! The joints are so smooth and the expressions and poses are so dynamic! I am going to have to buy so many of these D:
Sonnet Scroll by Nence

Crocheted and sewn goods Commissions welcome! Instagram: @loftycastlecrafts
Wantlist

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »
I think these are really neat though of course that's Nightmare Moon with Celestia not Luna and the 'bat winged chicken' is a cockatrice and Tank is not a turtle. He's a tortoise. I really like older Spike and Shining Armor so of course that's the most expensive one. =l
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:34:33 AM by Koudoawaia »

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline LunarEclipse

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
Having such mixed feelings about these. They're definitely some of the nicest looking MLP toys Hasbro has put out, but I'm kinda concerned that (despite what they say) they'll phase out or greatly reduce the number of regular pony toys put out. New and well made pony toys are great but I don't want the them to stray SO far from MLP's roots either. I guess it's impossible to please everybody though and we could do a lot worse than these figures.

Want to trade art for ponies? || art tag on Tumblr || G1 want list || G4 want list || Vintage LPS want list

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 11:04:30 AM »

Personally, I think the dynamic look of these particular toys would fall flat with brushable hair. That isn't to say that Hasbro should stop making brushable ponies altogether, but for these I don't think that would work well.

Plus it even says in that statement that they aren't going to move away from the ponies we already get. Just that they wanted to make a line that goes in a new direction.

I think it could be done tho. They added hair to the SSC mini dolls they had. Brushable hair would just open up more customization options. Like I like these but in the future why can't we have a wave that is brushable?

I think kids will like these more than the brushables. What can kids do with those but brush their hair? With these they can act out adventures and use their imaginations.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:08:19 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
Having such mixed feelings about these. They're definitely some of the nicest looking MLP toys Hasbro has put out, but I'm kinda concerned that (despite what they say) they'll phase out or greatly reduce the number of regular pony toys put out. New and well made pony toys are great but I don't want the them to stray SO far from MLP's roots either. I guess it's impossible to please everybody though and we could do a lot worse than these figures.

I feel like this is exactly what happened with the G3s. But MLP has definitely expanded the line this time around with greater variety than they've ever had. I don't mean types of ponies - unicorns, pegasus, TE, etc etc but they are actually running concurrent lines of different looking and differently branded MLP stuff. The most dramatic deviation for G1 was petite ponies, and with G3 ... I don't even think they really diversified much until they moved along to G3.5/4, know what I mean?

ETA: for the toys themselves, not branded offshoot products.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal