collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Barbie's new bodies  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
Re: Barbie's new bodies
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 04:12:46 AM »
I'm actually quite pleased with Mattel's decision on this. Not so much because it shuts people up a bit when it comes to Barbie's ridiculous body (people will always find reasons to complain even after this happening), but because you have a choice now - and I like that.

I haven't bought a Barbie doll in ages, but I think I might buy a blonde curvy one (http://shop.mattel.com/product/index.jsp?productId=87362656), simply because I love how adorable they look.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »
I'm getting excited.... if the Curvy Barbie fashions might fit my old classic childhood Barbies - they have re-done her body so many times that new Barbie clothing doesn't fit on my old dolls.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »
I love seeing more options in any doll line, so I love seeing some taller, shorter, chubbier versions (love blue hair on a couple of them too).

Although like people have said, it's too bad they're not more articulated (I always think that about the Fashionista line too).

Blog

Offline SaelaVe

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 04:19:55 PM »
I am so absolutely over-the-moon excited over these!
I've wanted to have dolls that looked like me ever since I was a kid, and it's so amazing that girls with different body types will now—finally—be represented on the doll aisle! 
This is such a huge step forward.  I feel like this is toy history that we're witnessing! :D

I'm already planning on buying Doll 26 "Spring Into Style" to turn into a mini me. :biggrin:
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

:rainbow: Instagram :rainbow:

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »
I have seen them, and I don't like it at all, it's just a way to force people to buy even more clothes, because 'one fits all' doesn't apply any more. What's the point if you cannot use your old clothes any more??? As a child, it would make me furious to get a Barbie who cannot wear my clothes.
The skin tones I like, but I think we had that before already.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 05:05:15 PM »
I'm glad they're finally becoming a bit more responsible about the body types they give young girls to look up to.  I don't particularly like the new ones, but I've never been into dolls.  I was chatting with my mum about it the other day and she said she's always found it strange to give little girls mature-bodied dolls.  She remembers having dolls with pre-pubescent bodies, which makes sense really, since most kids (aside from collectors) tend to move on from barbies around puberty.  It seems like it's making kids aware of body issues too early.

I think it's great they have a curvy doll now, but it doesn't particularly appeal to me personally.  If I were going to buy a doll it would be something more artistic and less body-real, like monster high or something where the dolls are more a work of art and not supposed to look like real women.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:07:11 PM by daffodil101 »

autieluna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »
It's without a doubt a great step and I look forward to the possibility of other dolls having to do the same to keep up, and/or Mattel expanding diversity further. I'd love a doll in my body shape, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not alone there!  :)

As for personal opinion on the aesthetics.....definitely a LOT more interesting to look at, though still not very in my opinion due to the extremely similar face molds. I do think a lot of the fashions are cute though, and I really like that they decided to give so many colored hair as a reflection of real-life current fashion! I think that'll be really fun to look back on in the future if the trend dies out rather than increasing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:48:03 PM by autieluna »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 09:34:47 PM »
I think the new bodies and skin colors are important tho I don't believe that dolls alone cause body image issues. Peer pressure is a much stronger cause. But these dolls will help normalize these things so that when they are older they are more accepting of differences. And really that's the most important benefit.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »
I kind of like them but really none I think would fit my body type XD

Sad thing is when I think Petite I don't think height.. I think about build.. like I'm considered Petite in build but not in height XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline SaelaVe

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
I have seen them, and I don't like it at all, it's just a way to force people to buy even more clothes, because 'one fits all' doesn't apply any more. What's the point if you cannot use your old clothes any more???

I think that's why they're continuing to offer the "regular" sized dolls.  These new sizes seem to be "in addition to" but not replacing the old body type.  That way you can still get new dolls who fit all of your old clothing, and new clothing for older dolls.

For me this isn't any different than dolls like Monster High, who come in multiple sizes and whose clothing doesn't fit every single other MH doll.

I'd love a doll in my body shape, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not alone there!  :)

You are definitely not alone there! :D

I think the new bodies and skin colors are important tho I don't believe that dolls alone cause body image issues. Peer pressure is a much stronger cause. But these dolls will help normalize these things so that when they are older they are more accepting of differences. And really that's the most important benefit.

I could not agree more.
I don't think that Barbie ever caused body image issues (not in most people anyway); but she didn't represent diversity in body type either.  I think that was always the bigger issue to be honest: Representation for more than one type of girl.
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

:rainbow: Instagram :rainbow:

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 06:58:02 AM »
Barbie has never been a favorite for me even as a girl unless she had cool accessories because I hated dressing/redressing my Barbies.  I have all of my childhood ones (even though I seriously wish I had kept the playsets) and Barbie really has changed over the years!  I used to collect Barbie trading cards that showed them from the 50s through the 90s which was pretty cool.  I rarely stop to look at modern Barbie but now I am actually kind of tempted by these new body types!  I say, good job Mattel, it's about time!  I really like the shaved headed Tall and blue-haired Curvy.  I won't be buying any though unless they come to brick and mortar stores and are just irresistible.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
i'm hopeful that they will release articulated versions of these eventually. i try to only buy jointed dolls, so if they don't, these dolls will not be joining my home. too bad too.
anyone have them in their hands yet. i love to see the bodies compared.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 09:16:43 PM »
I like them.  I think its a good concept and gives Barbie a more diverse range of friends.  :)

Don't know yet if I'll buy them but I do like them.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:30 AM »
I kind of like them but really none I think would fit my body type XD

Sad thing is when I think Petite I don't think height.. I think about build.. like I'm considered Petite in build but not in height XD

:lol: I always think of petite in height because that's the only section of clothing where I can find pants that aren't too long for me!(I'm only 5 feet tall)

I definitely like these, but none fit my body type exactly either. I would consider myself petite in height, but more on the curvy side in build. But hey, it's a start!

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
I am THRILLED about the new curvy Barbies!  I've wanted a larger sized Barbie for years.  I've ordered the blond haired and blue haired ones and will probably get the other ones when they come out.  I actually really like the outfit of the blue haired one, especially the top.  I've been working on making some clothes/clothes patterns for them and made this ladybug-inspired outfit last night:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal