collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pricing Pre-Owned Customs  (Read 1037 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Pricing Pre-Owned Customs
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
I've been out of the loop when it comes to customs.

In the past, I used to commission like crazy...in total I have close to 70. However, I've switched gears a bit and am focusing more on other collections. I have a few customs I'm considering selling, but honestly, I have no clue how to price them.

Many of them involve sculpting (wings, horns, feathered hooves, etc) and were made by well-known customizers who, according to my knowledge, are no longer making customs. So I don't know if that would factor into the price at all.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in knowing how you price your pre-owned customs. In your experience, is it better to set a price and accept offers, do it auction style with anonymous bidding, or send them off to ebay?

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: Pricing Pre-Owned Customs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:13:42 PM »
hmm that's a tough one. if you can, you can always post pictures of the customs here to get price quotes. or it's always possible that the original artist would like to purchase them back. i know if someone was selling the customs i made I'd probably buy them back. but i think having pictures and who did them would help us give you a better idea of what to ask for them.
and if you remember the original cost that could factor in too.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »
You could try ebay, but I think they tend to go low on ebay for whatever reason.

I would start with the price the customizer set.  Reduced if there is peeling, wear, damage, discoloration.

I don't think people that you commissioned a custom from, are going to want them back. It may even be difficult to figure out who made what.  I DO think some people do get upset when they do an "exchange" and perceive that someone tried to make money off their "gift" but it sounds like your ponies were commissions so I don't see an issue. Still you could always give the customiser first dibs I suppose?

I love buying second hand customs by the way! Lol

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:31:27 PM »
if they were made by certain creators, you should either set a price you're comfortable with (around what you paid), take offers (but provide a starting offer price), or use ebay (but let us know it's on ebay).
someone on fb just liquidated their custom collection for $10 each + shipping and a bogo deal if you buy several (with several I recognized) just to make sure they went to loving homes and clear them quickly
so it depends on what you want to do. You can always post with prices and lower prices if not selling..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
Id definately ask the creators if they want to buy. I know theres a handful out there that were tough to send off. Swap ponies mostly.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
Id definately ask the creators if they want to buy. I know theres a handful out there that were tough to send off. Swap ponies mostly.

I can understand swap ponies, but if someone commissioned you to make a pony-  would you really expect or want the buyer to contact you if they ever sold or parted with it?  Just curious- if so, do you sell your commissions with those kind of instructions?  I would guess that would be helpful.

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:22:07 PM »
I usually start or price my customs at what I paid and then go from there, up or down, depending on the level of interest. 

I would love to see what you have as I am always adding to my collection.  I am especially looking for old customs by Kanthaka, DianaArcuri, sammytvr, lovelauraland, woosie, Trillion, EPonyArt, bee-chan, DGRequiem, pop-girl, ebethalan, sweetlittlejenny, sprightly, dragonstar, aeracura, barkingmadd, and more! :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:39:23 AM by cookhuman »
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I'm still thinking it over.

I usually start or price my customs for what I paid and then go from there, up of down, depending on the level of interest. 

I would love to see what you have as I am always adding to my collection.  I am especially looking for old customs by Kanthaka, DianaArcuri, sammytvr, lovelauraland, woosie, Trillion, EPonyArt, bee-chan, DGRequiem, pop-girl, ebethalan, sweetlittlejenny, sprightly, dragonstar, aeracura, barkingmadd, and more! :)

As a matter of fact, Trillion and sweetlittlejenny are among them. Possibly lovelauraland, but I'm not sure yet.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
I want to see them too!   :biggrin:

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 12:50:31 PM »
Maybe I'll take some photos next week. I'm recovering from a tonsillectomy, and should be taking it easy for the next few days!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »
ETA: I'm currently accepting offers on the following customs, for those who care to look. I have a general price range in mind for each but nothing concrete.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,376486.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal