collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are ponies born with cutie marks? (G1)  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Are ponies born with cutie marks? (G1)
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2015, 09:24:17 AM »
Id say this was mind blown #1but the TE  Origin comic beat Mirror Clone Babies to it.  :lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
Ah yes . . .

In the comic, Baby Lickety-Split and FT Baby Lickety-Split are SEPARATE ponies.  They even appeared together in one story with the claim that they're cousins.

Ah, yes . . .

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She's Lickety-Split, she's Lickety-Split, you're Lickety-Split, and I'M LICKETY-SPLIT. Are there anymore Lickety-Split's I should know about? Sorry I had too :silly:

"Buy this toy, kids!  It's a different character than the Baby Lickety-Split you already have, we swear!"

Now I'm wondering what would have happened if the SS ponies had also been sold in the UK.

"I'm Gusty, and I'm looking for my cousin Gusty."

"I'm Cherries Jubilee and I'm looking for my sister Cherries Jubilee."

"I'm Shady and I'm looking for my great-aunt twice removed Shady."

"I'm Ribbon and I'm concerned."
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2015, 10:58:28 AM »

I didn't know all this theory about the magic mirror and it really makes sense!

The story is actually on my site on this page:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mlp_comic.htm
The first story uploaded under 1985, it's a zip file :)

Dangit Taff, don't you know the only thing right and factual about MLP is whatever came from the USA and whatever is going on with G4 right now!! You can't throw out some UK comic stuff from the 80's and explode everybody's brain cells like that. (grin :lol:)

And how long, exactly, have you known me? *innocent*

Though in seriousness, the pony comic ran weekly or fortnightly for eight years. There were many more opportunities to insert all kinds of information that the TV show didn't. For example, Twinkle Eyed ponies as jewel mine slaves. We also had Merry Go Round ponies from the "Whispering Whirligig", Mountain Boys from Misty Mountain and such.

The biggest irony of the magic mirror is that the ponies it highlights weren't sold here. If it had been Blossom, Cotton Candy or Applejack, even Bow Tie, fine - but Glory and Firefly, who weren't sold here, and nor were their babies.

All the LicketySplitting makes me want to post the Lickety Split song, but that would be going off topic in a big way.

Going back ON topic, as I said before (and maybe LM has a scan, I am not sure I have the story on my page), Nibbles, Dibbles, Sniffles and Snookums (the only first set twins sold in the UK) came to be when they were drawn and brought to life on Friday 13th (I believe) with Baby Lucky's Happy Go Lucky magic.

Gypsy might also have been involved; her magic and Friday 13th often coincided, so I'm possibly mixing that bit up, but I am certain about the twins. SO identical babies come from a mirror and twin ponies from a Baby Pony's art homework.

I am trying to think about other pony arrivals. I am pretty sure a lot of the cards said things about them arriving in Ponyland. The Teeny Weeny ponies definitely all have on their card "one day four new ponies arrived in Ponyland." And that is the explanation. They have no parents, they just arrive. The Newborn Ponies do it too - it begins with Yoyo and Dangles, I think, and again, they're unchaperoned. Whereas the Rainbow Baby Ponies belong to the Rainbow Curl ponies, at least as their guardians, as they all live on Rainbow Mountain. ("they call it their Rainbow Nursery") I have all these cards scanned but they're not on my web server and I'm sadly in the wrong place to upload links.

@LM - remember that the UK comic didn't mind introducing ponies that weren't sold here, so original Gusty already did appear. Gusty in terms of Movie Star Gusty is probably when Nurse Gusty replaces Nurse Cotton Candy (albeit Gusty was more of a baby pony nurse and Cotton Candy more of a medic)...By the time of Yoyo and Dangles there wasn't a Nurse Pony but I remember Caramel Crunch did a lot of babysitting.

I am also going with the theory that most of these things are Shady's hallucinations through her glasses. I include in that, obviously, Baby Shady, as she also didn't exist here, yet got a lot of story time in the acid trip world of the Shady family.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:17:32 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »

And how long, exactly, have you known me? *innocent*

(hehe) ummm, lets put it this way. The people who were born the year we started chatting online are probably graduated from High School :shocked:

Though in seriousness, the pony comic ran weekly or fortnightly for eight years. There were many more opportunities to insert all kinds of information that the TV show didn't. For example, Twinkle Eyed ponies as jewel mine slaves. We also had Merry Go Round ponies from the "Whispering Whirligig", Mountain Boys from Misty Mountain and such.

Sadly, no comics for me. And that I was into ponies before the cartoon, I just assumed the baby ponies were the children of the adult ponies. I actually at one time had all my baby ponies in front of the ponies they most looked like - so I sorta sorted my ponies into families. Plus it was pre-bigbrother. So some of my female ponies actually had to be male. Sorry Firefly, you're a boy! :p

The biggest irony of the magic mirror is that the ponies it highlights weren't sold here. If it had been Blossom, Cotton Candy or Applejack, even Bow Tie, fine - but Glory and Firefly, who weren't sold here, and nor were their babies.

It's a bit weird. Kind of wonder if they meant to sell it over here?? or why they would show ponies that you couldn't buy in the UK. Here, look, ponies you can't have...kinda evil :p

Curious, where were the comics designed? Was it does in the UK, the art and such? I don't know a lot about the comics other than what I've learned from you or what little bit I've seen when people discuss it and I happen into the thread. Kinda wonder, clearly the artist had access to what ponies looked like that were not sold in the UK, so makes me wonder where the art/concepts were coming from.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »
The comics are UK designed, produced, written etc. Though some of the artwork was also used in Europe, I am pretty sure it began here, and the style is different from that seen in US book illustrations and such.

Because Scandinavia got ponies like Powder on a card marked Hasbro UK and in the same style of art that matches other pony cards sold here, the theory is we were going to have them but ultimately the idea got scrapped. So lots of the early ponies made our stories and merchandise, but not shelves. As we didn't have Italian ponies either, I think we were the only country in Europe who did not get those characters except in our stories (they were in our story books too).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
The art for the UK comics was drawn by a Spanish company, Selecciones Ilustradas, which would fax it over.  The writers were UK based, though.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal