collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: (Non-pony) Craigslist etiquette?  (Read 860 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
(Non-pony) Craigslist etiquette?
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
I'm selling a bed frame on Craigslist and I had someone email me last night asking if it came apart.  (Which it does, but not easily.)  I replied to them, and sent additional pictures, and have not heard back so far.  No biggie, it's only 9AM.

About a half hour ago I had another person email me about the bedframe.

I haven't responded to Person B yet;  I'm conflicted because they sound like they are more definitely a sale (their email was basically "when and where can I pick it up"), but I don't want to sell it out from under Person A's nose if they want it. 

But Person A hasn't actually said they WILL buy it; for all I know the information that the bed is not easy to disassemble might tip them over into "I don't want it" territory.

Normally I would be more patient, but I'm going away to visit family over the weekend and would really like to sell the bedframe before then so it's not cluttering up the living room when my catsitter comes over. (I had to drag it out there to take pictures.) How long should I wait for Person A before taking up Person B on their offer?  The money is the same either way, I just want this thing gone.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: (Non-pony) Craigslist etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »
First come first serve, as far as I'm concerned. When I sold a large AC unit, I probably talked to about a dozen people. Ultimately, it went to the person who paid closest to asking price and who could come the soonest. If you have a buyer ready to come ASAP and they seem legit and will pay what you are asking, I say go for it.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
I think in this case, since person A has not said for sure they want to buy it, I'd go ahead and sell to the next person.  If person A asks again, just say "Sorry, it sold already; I would have held it for you if you had asked me to."
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »
My husband and I do sell and buy a lot on craigslist.  It's most definitely first come first serve UNLESS you've made some sort of promise to someone.  SOOOOOO many craigslist people flake out, never show up even when they say they will, and never return messages/calls.  If you have a sale that looks like a sure thing, take it.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »
My husband and I do sell and buy a lot on craigslist.  It's most definitely first come first serve UNLESS you've made some sort of promise to someone.  SOOOOOO many craigslist people flake out, never show up even when they say they will, and never return messages/calls.  If you have a sale that looks like a sure thing, take it.

This!  I sell stuff on kijiji, and I find I get about ten 'flakes' for every serious buyer. Everything is first come first serve. I even had someone make arrangements to pick something up, not show up (without calling or emailing), and then show up a week later expecting it to still be here. Nope. It was gone.

In the future, I do tell everyone who reaches the point of getting my phone number to call ahead to make sure I am home, and to make sure the item is still available. This prevents having two people for the same item both showing up for it. Whoever actually calls first and says "I am on the way" gets it.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
I agree; go with the buyer who's basically said it's a definite that they want it. No sense turning away what sounds like a sure thing in favor of someone who hasn't really given any indication of wanting it.

**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 05:11:18 AM »
I agree with the advice you already got here so I cant add anything else. Person A didn't ask you to hold it for them  and yep 1st come 1st served. If person B wants to pay up now and is a definite buyer then sell it to them since person A hasn't got back to you and hasn't even said they want it for sure  :awake: there are a lot of flakers out there so you don't want to be hanging on for someone who has not committed to buying it from you
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
Update:  I emailed the first guy yesterday morning asking if he definitely wanted it. 

By midday I was getting antsy so I emailed the second person telling them when and where to pick it up.

Right before I got off work I got an email from the first guy saying he DID definitely want it and asking if he could pick it up in the evening.  I hadn't heard back from the 2nd person at all, so I told him yes.

Happily he followed through.  The bed frame is now out of my house, hoorah.

It was definitely a learning experience and if I ever sell anything on Craigslist again I'm going to make it clear that it's first come, first serve.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
For sure it is ALWAYS first come first serve on Craigslist-

I always get people who say they want it but who never show up, so you have to just tell people first come first serve- if there is more than one person interested, I will tell them ie "First come first serve, one other person has asked about it but I has not made plans to pick it up yet."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal