collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I just kinda feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..  (Read 8267 times)

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
Re: I just kinda feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
G.I. Joe is suffering from war fatigue like it did in the 70's.  Hasbro might as well put him on indefinite leave.

And the worry here is Hasbro is losing the sense of My Little Pony's brand identity.  Color ponies with hair you can brush is what makes it My Little Pony.  All the different gimmicks in G1 maintained that except for a couple of very small lines.  Brushables in G4 have been marginalized with a lack of variety, lack of access, and unneeded gimmicks.  Hasbro is making money, but at what cost to the brand long-term?

I wouldn't say all brushables are marginalised. The only ones that seem like it is getting zero updates are mainly the singles. It would seem like the single brushables make them the least money. They need to root hair, give it accessories and they can only charge you $4.50 for one. The blind bags use waaaaay less plastic. The method of production is probably way easier and cheaper too, and it costs a whopping $3.29 where I live, and $5.95 for those sold on cards with accessories.

I actually wouldn't mind if they remade G1s and sell them for $6-8 a piece since it's pretty much what I pay buying off ebay anyway. Our Target here charges $6.99 for a single brushable pony here which is insane. When I visit upstate New York, the Walmart only charges $4.95 for one.

We still get the water globe ponies and recently my TRU started selling the pegasi version with water globe wings. There's also Maud Pie and Daring Doo. I know the new stuff are not very exciting. In fact, the new Twice As Fancy ponies should be named Thrice TOO Fancy.

I don't buy much G4 anymore. They are predictable, not aesthetically pleasing, and just doesn't have the "presence" of a G1 pony. It's like you hold it in your hand and it feels like NOTHING! Most of the time, the hair overwhelms the whole body. I stopped liking the cartoon because it's getting lame and the latest episode, Cutie Re-Mark was plain strange. I wouldn't say the G1 cartoons were any more intelligent, but at least I enjoyed the art.

G1s are still the apple of my eyes. It's good I came over to study with only 20 ponies, so in a way, I get to restart my collection all over again. Not to mention, I have a few pony-enablers around me. lol

I have a strange relationship with G2s. I was always OKAY with them, owned quite a few, but recently I kept trying to buy them off ebay. I wouldn't say I love the way they look, but in some ways, I feel very nostalgic about them to the point where I miss having them around. Seabreeze is still by far my fav G2 next to Petal Blossom. They did make up a bulk of my teenage years. I was from Singapore, and we never got G2s there. G2s did not exist on our MLP timeline. My sister schooled in Australia at that time, she brought me some whenever she came home to visit on summer breaks.

G3s were fun at the beginning because they resembled the G1s, and they had all these exclusives and all. The chase was exciting, but the ponies themselves weren't all too interesting for me. I would say I was in for the hype and not the ponies. Once the hype wore out, I went straight back to my G1s. Like some of you, I didn't like the ears. I hated symbol on one side. I didn't like that they seem to have a big head on a smaller thin body. The poses were awkward. From the way some of the G3s were posing, man, I feel tired for them just by looking at them. The necks always turn at a very odd angle. Moreover, they weren't great quality. I had ponies I bought brand new and they discoloured after a year or two. It was very disappointing and heartbreaking.

I did like G4s at the beginning because 1) they took up less space, and 2) they look like pixies. Then the whole Brony movement took it to a whole new level. The first year was great. I loved them with the little animal friends. The Wedding theme was tolerable. I think the whole FiM ship sank for me when Twilight turned into a princess alicorn. That completely tipped the pot over for me. The last episode with Starlight Glimmer was like watching a pony Butterfly Effect. It might have been okay if it was contained within one episode. They were stretching it with 2. The cartoon and the designs are getting very weird and flat for me.

I'm actually okay with EQG. I don't loathe them, yet I don't care much for them. I got a few in a lot, but wasn't crazy over them. I must say I really hate their ears, especially where they are positioned. Why do they have cat's ears growing out of their back brain?

I personally don't think EQG is doing well anymore. They are filling up all the stores around me. Marshalls, TJ Max, Burlington....etc and they're all going for like $10 clearance. Walmart was clever enough to clear out some at $13 before the prices dipped. Meanwhile Target, Kmart and TRU still charge like $15 for a single and $22 for a deluxe special. I will never pay those prices to get one of those for my niece. I got my housemate's daughter a DJ Pon3 at Walgreens for $13. She said she loved the doll because of the Rainbow Rocks movie, but she only had fun with it for 3 days. She started losing accessories from day 4 and the doll was naked by the end of the week. Er... never will I buy her an EQG again. For the $4.95 single brushables, she at least takes them into the bath tub with her everyday.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: I just kinda feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:26 PM »
Topic outdated - please keep an eye on the posting dates.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal