collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I just kinda feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..  (Read 8248 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
I just kinda feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »
So first off I wanna say that this is purly an opinon and I do not mean any ofence by it nor am I trying to touch a posable Touchy Topic. Not to anger anyone or upset anyone by this.
But..
I do not feel like mlp is about Ponies any longer to an extent.
I am seeing all these dolls and just feel like it dosen't much make mlp
Ponies anymore.
Back then in the beginning this would never fly turning mlp into human.
Even tho they did add a molly and magan to the ponies but did not turn a pony into a human.
I just feel like it's looseing it's charm.

But then again I am a old schooler  :P
And maybe sundance is a Magan in human form
I don't know..I try to be open minded
 :ohyeah:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:46:22 PM by LightingElectricDream »
:accomplished:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I just kinds feel like My Little pony isen't MLP anymore..
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »
I can see where you are coming from. While I do like some of the stuff the G4 line has, it has nothing of the charm the G1 line has, IMO. It's becoming less and less ponies and more gimmicks and dolls. I hope if there is a G5 they become more like G1 or G3 was.....actual ponies and variety. Or heck, even like G2. G2 had a decent variety as well, even though it's not my favorite line (but I still do like it).

I won't lie......I hate the Equestria Girl dolls. :(
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
I dont hate the EG dolls, but I will say that compared to other dolls lines that likely have "spoiled" me, I just cant get into them.

So I do see what you mean. Nowadays I see more shelf space for the dolls than the actual ponies. I guess the EGDs sell more than the brushable figures?
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
Monster High and Ever After High are HUGE with little girls and collectors right now, so it only made sense that Hasbro would jump on that bandwagon and use a recognizable brand to ensure its success.  While I didn't understand the move at first, it makes so much sense now why My Little Pony would be tied to their doll line.  MLP is very recognizable and, whether people like it or not, G4 brought ponies back into the spotlight. When it comes right down to it, Hasbro is a company, and like most companies, they care most about how much money they can make.  Considering Equestria Girls will now have 3 movies and the dolls are showing no signs of slowing down, I'd say they made the right choice.

I do agree with you though, I definitely like the ponies more than the dolls (Chrysalis is the only EqG doll I own and likely the only one I'll EVER own). I enjoyed the first two EqG movies for what they were, but in my head they have absolutely nothing to do with the show itself. Like... an alternate universe or something, I dunno.

I also say this as someone who doesn't just enjoy brushable ponies (I know there aren't many of us on this forum), so between the plushies, Funko figures, blind bag sets, etc. as far as I'm concerned, there are still LOTS of ponies out there. I'm actually very thankful for Funko because that just gives me more ponies to collect, seeing as the main Hasbro toy lines focus heavily on the dolls anymore. I also love the blind bag sized pony sets that are being released, because I hate blind bags, but giving them new poses and sets to put them in makes them more interesting.

Another problem is that Hasbro has made no effort to move away from the same poses and such for their brushables. Even with gimmicks like Cutie Mark Magic, it still makes them very boring.
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »
I don't disagree in one sense. I like the EQG Dolls but I don't really see them as ponies; I also don't collect or follow G4 in that big a way as ponies, so maybe I separated them in my mind. I loathed Megan, with a vengeance, as a child and I still do, really. It's probably all jealousy that she got to go to Ponyland, but she and Sundance were the one set I never wanted as a kid because Megan was a doll - a blond doll - like Barbie).

The thing is, this is not and has never been totally about MLP. It was a predictable step to be honest, and Rainbow Rocks just confirmed it. My Little Pony isn't just about My Little Pony any more. It's also about reclaiming the Jem space that Jem could not hold onto back in the 1980s.

EQG dolls therefore are a hybrid between Hasbro's MLP concept, and Hasbro's Jem concept, rolled into one. When they first came out,  the Jem list I'm on actually had a full discussion on this and all of us made jokes that the next thing would be they'd start a band, have a contest and so on. Guess what? A year later, Rainbow Rocks happened. Anyone who's ever seen the original five Jem eps or even Truly Outrageous can't help but see the parallel between the ending of Rainbow Rocks and the first clash between Jem and the Misfits in the old cartoon. Rainbow Rocks has a school setting, and magic is involved, whereas Jem had holographic technology to perform her 'effects', but there is still a striking similarity. Like Jem and the Holograms, the Mane 6 are ensconced away from the Battle of the Bands, which the Misfits/Dazzlings look set to win. Like Jem and the Holograms, the Mane 6 perform at distance and disadvantage and win the crowd to them, and away from the Misfits/Dazzlings.

So I guess it really isn't just MLP any more. G4 has borrowed bits from G1 but also from other Hasbro series and toys.

It doesn't really bother me though that it's that way. G1 is My Little Pony to me. Everything else is a reinvention of the line anyway - EQG Dolls are just the latest in that line.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:31:15 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
I agree with you / hold a similar opinion.

Yep, old school here...hehe.  :P :satisfied:

I understand the other side though.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »
I agree and feel the same way.  It should be about ponies but it seems since lots of other companies are doing either just dolls or humanoid dolls they feel the need to compete.  All they're thinking about is money.  I think Equestria Girls are OK.  I mean, I'll watch the movies but I'm not a huge fan.  I would rather see ponies in the toy aisle than dolls.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
I don't feel as if the EQG dolls took much away from the pony toys. The pony toys were getting kinda "meh" even before those dolls got released. To me G4 doesn't feel like older gens because of how "pop cult-y" it has gotten.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
I don't feel as if the EQG dolls took much away from the pony toys. The pony toys were getting kinda "meh" even before those dolls got released. To me G4 doesn't feel like older gens because of how "pop cult-y" it has gotten.

I agree with this too.  But, when I go to the toy aisle for MLP (which is hardly ever anymore) I see 90% equestria girls, and the rest are pop figures and the brushables that are there are the the same old ones I see everywhere.  That may be why I've lost interest in G4 merchandise.  I still watch the show but that's about it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:14:26 AM by Majesty »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
Brands change/evolve with time. :) but I get what you mean

Its not like its all non pony.

I would of liked eqg when I was little. I hated megan because she was human. But anthro ponies? I would of loved it. It is just on the edge of not human.

I also would of loved blind bags and those pops

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »
I am feeling the same way anymore. It had sometimes because of how the ponies were when I was growing up as a child! I love the G1 ponies and always will!  There are not to many that I have to have right now!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
I guess I agree with what people are saying. I never really got into the equestria girls. I saw maybe one movie it didn't click with me. I never thought of the dolls being a part of the same line just a separate thing from the ponies. Oddly I can collect strawberry shortcake but I really can't get into dolls as much as I used to as a child.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »
I was not liking the EQG at first, but now I have few of them .
I do like them a lot ,the movies are very cool as well ,but it is totally understandable that many people won't like them,or care for them, but I do welcome their spin off of the MLP into EQG, many people will come to find MLP through EQG , there are many ways for people to find MLP and fall in love with it, and I see  EQG as just another way to get to the MLP world.
I found MLP through the MLP FIM show and here I'm collecting G2,G4,some G3s and few G1s and EQG :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
Myes, I find it strange that it feels as if Hasbro is focusing on the dolls when it's the ponies that are popular.

Offline Jupetto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
Not a real fan of the dolls either. And here in the Netherlands, you have much greater quality dolls from Monster High/Ever After etc for about the same price. I'm not sure how popular EQ is with children, but I have the feeling ponies are generally more popular too.

Always looking for AJ stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal