collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flutter Pony Ribbons  (Read 608 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Flutter Pony Ribbons
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
Okay, so this is driving me mad.

My Wing Song has in her tail a blue ribbon with gold edging. I had no idea she had it till I saw the picture I took and I need to figure out whether it does or doesn't belong to her.

Online information about flutter ribbons is really mixed up, since half of the information I've found is based on French boxed Flutters and the other half I don't really know because I can't see the ribbon in the photos on the US style boxes to verify.

My Wing Song definitely came from the UK, but second hand. No guarantee it's her ribbon in her tail though.

According to the MIB French image I found for Wing Song, she has a pink ribbon in the European release (same box style as in the UK) with gold edging.

My MIB Tropical Breeze also has this, although wiki says she has a blue metallic ribbon which may be her North American release? She's the only 2nd set one listed on Wiki with a non-edged metallic ribbon, but since the US ribbons don't seem to be visible immediately, it's not clear...I have heard of these being sold with coloured metallic ribbons in the North American release before, but am not sure if that is the case.

Cloud Puff apparently has a blue one with gold edging, but it looks a lot paler than the one in Wing Song's tail. It could still be this one though.

Wind Drifter's is green so that's out.

Here's the photo of Wing Song. I realise it could be a Princess Ribbon, but since UK Princess accessory information is about as much fun as UK release Flutter information, I suspect narrowing down which might be a vain hope.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Help please?

It's also possible they came with more than one colour ribbon, since I think my childhood Tropi had a pale blue ribbon with gold edging. That might have been Sapphire's, though...so I can't know for sure.

And there;s always the chance it's not an actual MLP ribbon, but since getting at my flutters in the case is hard, I can't be sure right this second.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Flutter Pony Ribbons
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:37:46 PM »
May or may not be of any help, but that is exactly the same as the ribbon that came with my Wing Song (also with original wings). When I won her, the auction stated it was her original ribbon.

After I won her, I remember querying it at the time too as I got confused! Do you think I can remember the advice I got back then, though? (ask me later - work has done my head in for today!)  If I can find the post I started I'll copy it in.

Post Merge: August 25, 2015, 09:41:20 PM

Nup. The arena search is not playing ball (and hasn't for me for a while - anyone else having this problem??)
If anyone else finds the thread post away  :P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:41:20 PM by Marlin »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:55:33 PM »
According to mylittlewiki, hers is a pink ribbon with gold trim.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:58:45 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 12:20:01 AM »
US second group Flutter ribbons were gold-edged, like princess ribbons.  But the UK ones were colored metallic, like Summer Wing ribbons.  Here's a topic we had on it a year ago:  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,362177.msg1298106.html#msg1298106

In it, I posted a photo of my second group Flutter ribbons, and hathorcat confirmed that they looked correct.  Wingsong's UK ribbon is a metallic magenta.  Unfortunately I don't know what her US ribbon looks like; I don't have it, or even a photo of it.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »
Hm, curious.

It doesn't explain why my French MIB Tropi has a pink ribbon with gold edging, though. She is in the same style box as the UK box...unless for some reason France had the same ribbons as the US and the same boxes as the UK. Though hathorcat did say it depended onnwhich side of the ocean and it seems odd to use this style of box and that release of ribbon...?

Bigger issue is that I never had any metallic ribbons as a kid despite having Tropi when I was five. I did get Tropi from a French store but I have her English puffybstickervso I know she wasn't French. The ribbon I remember may have been Sapphire's but I remember being confused by metallic ribbons when first online as I had never seen them before and didn't know they were really MLP. I remember exactly a lot of the combs, ribbons etc that were unique in my collection as a kid, and I always knew Tropi's comb, so I would probably have remembered that.

Another thing that troubles me is that all Wiki's info for ribbons with trim are based on mib French flutter pictures in the UK style art of box. Tropical Breeze's alone states metallic blue but the only image is a US style Mib, not a UK one which may or may not even exist now. It is pretty confused, and I don't know if that is significant or not, but the issue of me never having any metallic ribbon as a kid is more bothersome.

The link to the ribbon list has the flutter names not bolded. I am pretty sure most flutter boxes except the French one have hidden ribbons, which maybe makes it harder to know if there were variations of any kind.

I guess for now, Wing Song keeps her ribbon.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:08:32 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Puffy stickers are my currency! Trade with me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
This has confused me for ages now!

I have seen the french flutters with gold trimmed ribbons, and thought of it as a european thing. I have always assumed that US got colored metallic ribbons for their second set of flutters (as I bought a Wind Drifter and Cloud Puff with them from the US). But now you say that this is the other way around..
( :freak: ) ..I just need them all!, but I don't know what I need!

(Side note: The windy wing ponies came with the gold trimmed ribbons as well in Europe. The US ones didn't have any ribbons.)

(Hoping for close-ups of MIB's to be posted now)
My collection at Snupps:http://snupp.it/d8NITq
Instagram: @iPonyland

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:13 AM »
This has confused me for ages now!

I have seen the french flutters with gold trimmed ribbons, and thought of it as a european thing. I have always assumed that US got colored metallic ribbons for their second set of flutters (as I bought a Wind Drifter and Cloud Puff with them from the US). But now you say that this is the other way around..
( :freak: ) ..I just need them all!, but I don't know what I need!

(Side note: The windy wing ponies came with the gold trimmed ribbons as well in Europe. The US ones didn't have any ribbons.)

(Hoping for close-ups of MIB's to be posted now)

The promotional material for the North American release states metallic ribbons, and the promotional material for the UK that I have in my possession just says ribbon, flower pick and sticker, but it's not clear enough to see what they're actually photographed with in the scan of the UK book I have.  The US promotional photos -one definitely shows them with metallic ribbons, the other I'm not sure of - I can't make it out but it looks like Cloud Puff's might be edged...

The Paradise Estate image inside the UK comic does indeed show Cloud Puff and Wing Song with metallic ribbons in their tails. It is possible the French set is different from the UK release, but it's a bit weird to have the same style box as the UK and the same style ribbon as the North American issue.

The only thing I can say about that is that I know I had Tropical Breeze in late Feb/early March 1987 because I bought her with my birthday money and it was definitely 1987 because she's in the background of photos with my sister as a baby in November 1987.

The Paradise Estate advert came into comics later than the Flutter ponies second set did; it was this set of flutter ponies who discovered Paradise Estate thanks to Wing Song's singing. I don't know if that has any relevance because PE is definitely on the 1987 booklet just as they are - just with Paradise. Maybe removing her from the equation delayed the release a little but it shouldn't have an impact on Flutter ribbons unless they had two different types of ribbon here depending on when they came out.

And I definitely didn't have any metallic ribbons as a child. So Tropical Breeze must have either come without any ribbon, or must have had an edged one.

I now wish that I had a UK boxed flutter to peer at more closely. The only US boxed pony I have is Morning Glory, which really doesn't help at all.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:35:16 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
I think it looks like she has the wrong ribbon - looks like Amber's or Sapphires ribbon to me. Your other Tropical Breeze sounds like she has the correct ribbon - pink with the trim. The second set in the US was a bit weird with its packaging as with a lot of them the ribbon was packaged along with the leaflet that came in the box rather than on display as it was on other releases. Thats probably why we dont always see the ribbons when we have them MIB.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
I think this will stand further investigation. Clearly I now have a valid research based reason to buy more flutter ponies :)

Incidentally I read somewhere that tgere is a way to tell flutter ribbons from princess ones. I compared the blue one to both Tropi's mib pink one and Princess Aquamarine's loose one and they are all the same width and style.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:23:36 PM »
Hmmm...I dont believe there is a way to tell the difference. Cloud's is the only ribbon you can clearly indicate as a flutter with no questions due to shade...and hers looks like the princess ribbons.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal