collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: need help with pony clothes.  (Read 436 times)

Offline tornadoe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
need help with pony clothes.
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
Now that I have decided what my custom for this years ponycon competition will be, I am hoping some of the pony people here can help me. My custom has a knitted stripy jumper and trousers and She is a G4 pony.

I have no idea how to make clothes for ponies but if someone here can help then I am very willing to learn.
Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen cloesly..

Offline tornadoe

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: need help with pony clothes.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
still need help...

anyone...?

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
Are you thinking of how to make fabric clothes or sculpted ones?

Offline tornadoe

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »
fabric ones.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
Are you good at sewing?  Is this a fashion-style or larger pony?  I think it would be VERY hard to make fabric clothes for a standard brushable size G4.  They are just so small D: 

What kind of textures are you going for with the trousers?  I'd probably recommend a thin fabric for the them.  If the sweater/jumper is meant to be a bit bulky, you could use a thicker fabric.  For that you might actually find some human socks you could cut up to make it with.  That would have the correct knit texture for a jumper (if I'm imagining it correctly).

If you don't sew...it could be hard.  D:  But you can also glue most fabrics if you are careful.  You could also try using felt as it does not tend to unravel. 

If you can post a pic of her design more folks might have some advice.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tornadoe

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:01:15 AM »
it's a G4 pony that is going to be my entrant for the ponycon competition The jumper has alternating stripes but the trousers are just one colour..

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 04:59:45 AM »
How good are you at knitting? Dolls clothes can be knitted with miniature knitting needles and crochet thread or even sewing cotton for really tiny stuff.  It takes skill and patience though. My Mum used to do it for my dolls when I was little. Google 'miniature knitting' if you are interested.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline tornadoe

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:05:24 PM »
I am not great at knitting. Last time I did any I was in primary school but I picked it up quickly.

My brief search of the internet revealed patterns for actual ponies, mlp jumpers as well as jumpers for actual shetland ponies.

considering I have just over a month to do this I am concerned I have left it too late.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
I'm afraid people are not very helpful when it comes to pattern sharing for toy ponies for many reasons. Even I don't like to share my patterns :/

You could always try the tissue paper trick for making the patterns by yourself. Tissue paper moves better along with the pony's curves and you get a better hold of where the pattern's lines go. Just mark the pattern lines on the tissue paper with a pencil, cut, make some tests with possible adjustments and you should be fine.

There are lots of threads of making pony clothing here and those threads have good tips, so maybe you could have a look at them? Just type making pony clothes" or something like that on the search bar while being on Customs forum and you should get many results.  :)

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »
You also have not posted any photos of the design, or mentioned if its a standard brushable G4, or larger. I think its hard to suggest some info if we don't have all the answers. That being said I think it may be best to use the tissue paper method and try working it out that way. It will take time, but you'll learn so much by making it :)

Offline tornadoe

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 12:51:30 AM »
I wanted to keep the design a secret as it is for a custom competition and I have already said that its a brushable G4 style pony. Fact is I have now run out of time to find a pattern so I will have to figure something else out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal