collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Clothes and Avoiding Stitching  (Read 519 times)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Pony Clothes and Avoiding Stitching
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
I think I just ruined my project by using fabric glue instead of just creating a tiny seam... the color in that area is darker than surrounding fabric, and I'm fairly certain it has dried.

What do others do to avoiding sewing on making pony clothes (or other fabric projects)? Does liquid stich not bleed through like fabric glue? Do I just have to suck it up and hand stitch? :lol: Do people have advice on pony clothes making  in general?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Clothes and Avoiding Stitching
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:53:07 AM »
I normally just suck it up and hand stitch them, even though I don't like sewing by hand. :P In my tests I found that it often is the best way to go, a the seams are more durable than with glue and sometimes even more flat.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »
For something so small, I really think stitching is the way to go.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Iris Patch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
You can machine sew pony clothes if you're careful and use a thin needle. I started to try and hand-sew an outfit before, stopped in the middle and thought "WTF am I doing" and finished it in 4x time on the machine.

Offline nickeline

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.bottlefingers.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:56:31 AM »
One thing you can try (which I do when I make corsets, etc) is to use vinyl or vinyl-coated fabrics that don't need to have the edges hemmed. In other words, you can just leave the cut edges raw if you cut very neatly because they will be clean and straight and won't fray. If it suits your design, you can then use eyelets and grommets to finish the piece and attach it to itself (this works well with corsets and other "lace up" type things).

If you have to sew 2 different parts of a costume/outfit together, I would suggest doing a small overcast stitch very very close to the edge of the fabric. The biggest problem I run into is not being able to get close enough to the edge due to fabric fraying. So, before I start sewing, I will often apply something to stiffen the fabric's edges, like a tiny bit of thin glue or glue mixed with water. Let that mixture go all the way through the fabric, and THEN cut your pattern out, or trim it down, so that you can carefully control how far the "stiff" part goes--if you leave too much you will just make more unwieldy and noticeable seams. It's harder to get the glue to stay in the right place I find if you cut the pattern out first.

Hope this helps!
N.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:00:05 AM by nickeline »
Hey, long time no see. I used to make stockings and corsets for custom ponies. Nowadays I make glass jewelry: www.bottlefingers.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal