collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Damaged MOC advice (sent in bubble mailer) Seller: cupid.plutus  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
It's happened, I've encountered an ebay seller/collector who sends their MOCs in bubble mailers. It was a fakie and I got it for a good price (basically just paid postage *facepalm* I would have paid extra for a box if I knew!), but what was once a perfectly pristine bubble now has significant denting and I'm just crushed. :cry:

My problem is that normally I would contact the seller right away to politely and respectfully request some compensation because it was their actions that caused the damage. However, I am interested in another MOC they have listed ending in several days and I don't want to sour the air between us and get blocked from the opportunity to buy it. I'd of course want it sent in a box instead this time if I won it.

So should I contact them straight away to explain the situation? Or should I wait until I've possibly won the other and explain it to them then so I can get it sent in a box? Is waiting not worth it, because they could decide then that they'd rather not sell to me and just cancel the sale anyways? Ugh, I don't know what to do! 
:yikes:
I'd rather not open a case at all, just deal with the seller if they're open to working with me. I'm hoping to get better photos of the damage in the morning as well, they're obvious in person but get lost in the flash.

This is the message I have drafted to send to the seller, does it sound alright?
I wanted to first thank you for my purchase, it arrived today. However I am rather shocked that it was posted in a bubble mailer, as it was a MOC item it should have been posted in a box with sufficient protection. I didn't think to ask before bidding because I assumed as a collector you would know how to safely post a MOC.

Unfortunately it has sustained some damage, there is now significant denting to the plastic bubble (particularly over the face). I'm rather upset as I assumed I'd be receiving a pristine bubble MOC as pictured.

As I would still like the opportunity to purchase the other MOC you have listed, I'd like to respectfully request some sort of compensation and that if I do purchase more from you that they be sent in a box (which I am happy to pay for).
My suggestion would be either a partial refund of this purchase, or if in the case that I win the other it’s posted in a box at no extra cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  ^.^

EDIT TO ADD: I very carefully tried to pop her bubble back out and have managed to fix it a bit. But it's still dented and has white lines on the crushed bits (no cracks as far as I can see). Would it be reasonable to request either a partial refund or perhaps if I win the other one it be sent in a box at no extra cost? I just don't even know how to approach this.
:drunk:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:59:24 AM by Tulips »
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged MOC advice (sent in bubble mailer)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:01:01 PM »
I'd probably say "disappointed" instead of "shocked" ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
I'd probably say "disappointed" instead of "shocked" ;)

As would I.  The next sentence really comes off as accusatory and, if you want to keep buying from her, I'd consider toning it down or taking out that sentence all together.  Unfortunately, as a buyer, you pretty much have to request/ask that items be shipped in a box.  I've had the same thing happen to me more than once.  So, I would address if before the end of her next auction and ask her to include a higher shipping price to cover the cost of box shipping.

If you feel you got the first one at a good price even with the damage, I'd let it go at that and consider it a lesson learned.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I do worry that sometimes I sound harsher than I mean to. I'm so paranoid about it I always check my drafts with someone before sending them. :blush:

Should I perhaps wait until I win the other one and request it be sent in a box (without being accusatory), then either see if they're willing to compensate for the damaged one or just live with it?

Cheers  ^.^
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
I would contact the seller right away to let him know about the damage. Since he has similar items listed, it might keep him from shipping other MOC items in bubble mailers. If you feel that your MOC item is still worth as much as, or more than, what you paid for it, it might be best to leave it alone. If you ask for a partial, he could turn around and ask you to return it for a refund. Personally, I would see what solution the seller offers first, and go from there.

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 01:09:47 AM »
I would contact the seller right away to let him know about the damage. Since he has similar items listed, it might keep him from shipping other MOC items in bubble mailers. If you feel that your MOC item is still worth as much as, or more than, what you paid for it, it might be best to leave it alone. If you ask for a partial, he could turn around and ask you to return it for a refund. Personally, I would see what solution the seller offers first, and go from there.

Totally agree :)

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 04:14:17 AM »
:(  It's always disappointing to read stories like this where sellers who should know better ship MOC items in bubble mailers *sigh* they almost always get damaged in the post unless the get shipped in a well packed secure sturdy box

Totally agree :)

*nods* I agree with this too :nod: The seller needs to know about the damage right away - especially if they have other MOCs listed.  If you do want to buy another item from this seller and you feel that despite the damage due to dodgy packaging you still got a good deal, then you need to be extra careful  what you say in the message to them ;) I'd go with something along the lines of   (this is parts of your draft but edited BTW )
the start is good - always begin with something positive to put the seller in the right frame of mind for working with you/taking advice :relaxed:

"Hi :)  I wanted to first thank you for my purchase, it arrived today and I am very happy with it.    (you could also add something about fast shipping or whatever else is positive about the transaction here as well if you want to)

Unfortunately though it has sustained some damage in the post and there is now significant denting to the plastic bubble (particularly over the face). This is because it was posted in a bubble mailer which wasn't  sufficient protection against being damaged in the mail . I am a bit disappointed that my MOC got damaged but I'm sorry I didn't think to ask before you shipped my item to have it sent in a box.  As I said, I am still happy with my item  and I want to keep it -  but I thought I should mention the damage to you since you have other MOC items for sale and most collectors like their MOC items as perfect as possible. It can devalue the item if it becomes damaged, so it would help your sales if you packed all MOC items in a box in future.
 I would still like the opportunity to purchase the other MOC you have listed too, so if you don't mind I'd like to respectfully request that if I do purchase more from you that they be sent in a box (which I am happy to pay for).
Kind regards and best wishes
(your name)

put the added bits into your own words if you like too :) Hope that helps and please let us know how it goes :hug:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:16:01 AM by Ringlets »

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 04:34:57 AM »
I've already sent them a short message explaining but not asking for any compensation, just a heads-up about what happened and that if I win the other one I'll request it be sent in a box.

I probably didn't sound as upbeat as your suggested message Ringlets, but I figured I would just keep it simple without sounding too negative like in my original draft, put the ball in their court and see how they respond.

The other one ends in 4 days, fingers crossed it works out better.  :)

EDIT: I've exchanged a few messages with the seller who, while not particularly apologetic, is understanding and will post future purchases in a box if I request. If I knew they weren't posting in a box I would have paid the £2 extra in the first place and avoided this entire mess. :P I just wish people understood that MOC=BOX no matter what!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:14:54 AM by Tulips »
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 04:41:23 AM »
I'm glad the seller was understanding about the box issue. I hope they do send all MOCs in a box in future :awake:

:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
I've since won the other MOC and paid for it to be sent in a box.
My worry now is what feedback to leave after it arrives? I haven't left any yet for either MOC, but I fully intend on leaving positive and being truthful.

Is dinging their shipping star too harsh? I don't sell on eBay but I've heard little things can be really crippling. The seller wasn't the least bit apologetic that their actions caused a perfect MOC to be damaged, they never even said sorry.
They defended themselves by saying that they normally ship expensive MOC in boxes, but since the sale price was so low they were already making a loss so they didn't bother with a box. :mad: It's not my fault! I guess I should thankful that they were decent enough to go through with the sale at all.

Or should I leave the stars blank and say it was damaged due to shipping, and warn to request a box? I don't want to be too harsh, but they literally never even said sorry or owned up to their actions and the consequences.

Sorry, vent over. :P T
hank you all for the advice you've already given, it's been very helpful.  :grouphug:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
Wow, what a terrible attitude they had!  You deserve to receive your goods in their advertised condition, regardless of how much you paid.

I am normally very lenient and understanding towards sellers when they make mistakes, but this almost sounds like they already knew better and chose not to package correctly.

I'd give a neutral based on that, or even a negative.  Especially since they weren't apologetic.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 04:49:10 AM »
Being truthful with your feedback is very important :bigups:  I'm going to agree with what Lady Moondancer said too though.
This is not right at all -
They defended themselves by saying that they normally ship expensive MOC in boxes, but since the sale price was so low they were already making a loss so they didn't bother with a box

it doesn't matter what you won the item for, if they wanted more they should have started the bidding higher! they should pack all MOC items the same secure  way in a box regardless of what they sold for. You won an MOC it should arrive in that condition. I would definitely ding the stars for this one. I may even give a neutral based on that response  :huh:   The second MOC you won might be better hopefully though. I would hold off leaving feedback until you have that one as well .... :awake:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »
I would also give a neutral. It is not fair to punish the buyer for getting a good price just because they didn't start the auction high enough. If she would have been apologetic and tried to make it up to you I would say she'd still deserve a positive. But as others have said, her behavior does not warrant a positive.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »
Did the seller at least offer a refund or partial refund?

If it were me, refund = neutral, no refund = negative.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 11:01:18 AM »
Being truthful with your feedback is very important :bigups:  I'm going to agree with what Lady Moondancer said too though.
This is not right at all -
They defended themselves by saying that they normally ship expensive MOC in boxes, but since the sale price was so low they were already making a loss so they didn't bother with a box

it doesn't matter what you won the item for, if they wanted more they should have started the bidding higher! they should pack all MOC items the same secure  way in a box regardless of what they sold for. You won an MOC it should arrive in that condition. I would definitely ding the stars for this one. I may even give a neutral based on that response  :huh:   The second MOC you won might be better hopefully though. I would hold off leaving feedback until you have that one as well .... :awake:

I would also give a neutral. It is not fair to punish the buyer for getting a good price just because they didn't start the auction high enough. If she would have been apologetic and tried to make it up to you I would say she'd still deserve a positive. But as others have said, her behavior does not warrant a positive.

I agree with bluerose9978 and Ringlets. As the seller, it is THEIR responsibility to set a starting price that they are comfortable with and not make assumptions that the price will go any higher than that. Shipping costs should have been calculated to cover a safe shipping shipping method (including a box) regardless of what the item went for. The lack of any sort of apology or attempt to make the situation better on the seller's part bothers me. AT BEST they deserve a neutral for that transaction but I agree that you should wait to leave feedback until the other package arrives.

Also, about the star rating- I would ding it as you see fit. Personally I think they deserve 1 star. They knew they were taking a risk sending something fragile without a box.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:03:34 AM by flying_narwhal »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal