collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Moon Dreamer with cracked body?  (Read 476 times)

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
Moon Dreamer with cracked body?
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »
I recently got my hands on a Dream Gazer but her body is covered in tiny hairline fractures that split apart when I bend her arms and/or legs. I've seen Moondreamers with cracked/shattered bodies before and I want to prevent that happening, the only question is how.
I was thinking of covering her body with some kind of sealant in hopes that it might prevent the cracks from moving but I'm not sure what kind to use - any ideas?
I finally found my grail! :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
Re: Moon Dreamer with cracked body?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »
Congrats on getting her! I still have not so much as One moondreamers doll! :P They're pretty hard to find in my neck of the woods.

I have no idea how you'd go about preserving her body, though! :yikes: Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will come along and address the issue for you!! I'd be very interested to know myself as it's not just the Moondreamers that are prone to cracking. :huh:

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
I found a Bucky with a cracked body/ loose pieces of torso a few months ago.  The crack started at the neck and extended mid-torso on one side, so his arm kept falling off!

I used what I had on hand to try to fix him: Aleen's Tacky Glue and rubber bands (the tiny kind you make those bracelets with).

I glued the pieces together and put them back in place.  I then used the rubber bands to hold the bits in place while the glue dried.  I waited a few days before I went back to finish (I'm sure you could just wait a couple hours).  It worked, but the glue I used isn't the strongest for this sort of thing.  Just to be on the safe side, I added a light layer of glue over the cracks.

This glue can peel off and doesn't look all that great if the doll is nude, but I just wanted him to be able to stand on my shelf without his arm falling off ^_^.  With the clothes on, you can't tell there's anything wrong with him...but I am extra gentle when moving his arm!

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 06:17:25 AM »
LittleSpiffy, that's great to know, especially the rubber bands trick :3
I'm now considering gluing the cracks together with craft glue, like you've done, and perhaps adding a layer of Modge Podge over top once the glue has dried?
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 06:23:03 AM »
I found a Bucky with a cracked body/ loose pieces of torso a few months ago.  The crack started at the neck and extended mid-torso on one side, so his arm kept falling off!

I used what I had on hand to try to fix him: Aleen's Tacky Glue and rubber bands (the tiny kind you make those bracelets with).

I glued the pieces together and put them back in place.  I then used the rubber bands to hold the bits in place while the glue dried.  I waited a few days before I went back to finish (I'm sure you could just wait a couple hours).  It worked, but the glue I used isn't the strongest for this sort of thing.  Just to be on the safe side, I added a light layer of glue over the cracks.

This glue can peel off and doesn't look all that great if the doll is nude, but I just wanted him to be able to stand on my shelf without his arm falling off ^_^.  With the clothes on, you can't tell there's anything wrong with him...but I am extra gentle when moving his arm!

This is cool though because you have the option to try something else later on if you change your mind, wheras some other more permanent glues might not turn out to be the best option...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal