collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Enhanced water"  (Read 1069 times)

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
"Enhanced water"
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »
So I want to replace my milk addiction (cause I'm allergic) with water. But I would like flavored water. So what do you drink? I tried several Sobe but didn't care for them.

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "Enhanced water"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »
I buy either the Crystal Light packets or the various squirt able flavors in different brands. Some flavors are better than others and I have to be careful not to squirt too much or it's too sweet for me but they can definitely make me want to drink water more. One of my favorite flavors is a pomegranate flavor by Crystal Light.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click banner for my customs gallery.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:53:10 PM »
tea always works too.  Celestial Seasonings makes a box of 'teas' that are all fruit flavored.  There's no sugar in them, or any sugar derivatives, or artificial sweeteners, you just have to get your water hot first, then ice it down.  They're really good and nice.

For me, I don't like a lot of sugar anyways, and even artificial sweeteners are shown to have a glycemic reaction, so they aren't really zero calorie, if you're drinking water for health and diet reasonings. 

Since you like milk, have you had any luck with almond, soy or coconut milk?  Some of those are really nice.  Are you allergic-allergic, or are you lactose intolerant?  Because they do make lactose free milk, but I'm not sure which you are.  My roommate is simply lactose intolerant, so she can have milk if she wants ( but we prefer almond and coconut milk; lower in calories, and tastier for us, for me, because Florida milk does not taste like Wisconsin milk. . . ) and she can take a lactaid tab for ice cream and other milk items.  :) 

Aednatia

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:24 AM »
Since you like milk, have you had any luck with almond, soy or coconut milk?  Some of those are really nice.  Are you allergic-allergic, or are you lactose intolerant?

I have tried soy and almond. They are both kind of yucky to me. I do like steamed soy chai tea. Haven't done anything coconut milk other then straight from a coconut. Actually soy milk makes things way worste then regular milk for me (instead of horrific pain for one day it last like 3). The doctor called it an allergy, my intestines swell super really bad and I have tried lactose pills and lactose free milk with no success hoping it was just the lactose intolerant. Some minor relief with them and probiotics together if I can't resist the urge to drink milk.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:09:02 AM »
Since you like milk, have you had any luck with almond, soy or coconut milk?  Some of those are really nice.  Are you allergic-allergic, or are you lactose intolerant?

I have tried soy and almond. They are both kind of yucky to me. I do like steamed soy chai tea. Haven't done anything coconut milk other then straight from a coconut. Actually soy milk makes things way worste then regular milk for me (instead of horrific pain for one day it last like 3). The doctor called it an allergy, my intestines swell super really bad and I have tried lactose pills and lactose free milk with no success hoping it was just the lactose intolerant. Some minor relief with them and probiotics together if I can't resist the urge to drink milk.

Okay, you're definitely not lactose intolerant, but full on allergic to milk, and you probably then have a soy allergy as it's not altogether uncommon.  My mother, myself, and my roommate are all basketcases for allergies.  Mom has a soy allergy and several other food allergies, I have celiac's disease ( not really an allergy, but still food related ) and am allergic to pineapple, and roommate is allergic to shellfish and lactose intolerant.  Do you get at all red in the face and feverish too, along with the discomfort?  That's what happens to my mom.  :< 

Silk makes a really nice chocolate almond milk, I have never met anyone who hasn't like that, and it can help your taste buds acclimate.  They also make a coconut milk, which I like, but it has a funny little after taste to me, at least.  However, coconut milk on chocolate rice puff cereal?  OMG!  It's *amazing.*  We don't like any of the flavored almond milks besides the chocolate.  The vanilla is indeed really nasty and just too sweet.  We either get the 'original' which is 60cal per serving, or the diet version, which is even lower, and like 40cal, but less sweet.  I love ice cream and chocolate sweet, but other than that, I am not much of a sweet person. 

If you like chai, I would definitely suggest it with the coconut milk.  Makes it taste like ginger bread.  We get either the Oregon Chai or Tazo Chai mixes, and that's what we use, but we do iced chai too.  Now and again, if I'm not lazy, I'll brew the tea from scratch, but then I just end up drinking the tea straight and plain because I'm odd like that.  :/ 

Silk is now making a cashew milk too.  We haven't tried it yet, but we've been curious. . .  Hmmm . . .

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »
Ick. That doesn't sound pleasant. I'm afraid I can drink any sort of water or it makes me vomit..... No wait..... Have you ever had water from a water fountain that tastes kinda like dirt? I can drink that and it doesn't make e sick. I can drink the dirt water. I can't even drink things like Koolaid if it's too watered down, and for me that doesn't take much....

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Princess Lala

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »
Soy milk for me! =) This one is lactose intolerant, and although not allergic, milk protien (casein) does NOT agree with my system and I have to take special pills if I eat cheese or ice cream! If not... well.... it makes me very very sick, gasey, and I will be over the pot alllll night miserable. But I love the creamy and cold taste of milk! So I tried Silk and omg I loved it! Its either a hit-or-miss with people. I myself do not like coconut milk, almond milk, or rice milk. To me... Silk is perfect.

As far as water-like drinks.... I personally hate anything that tastes sugar-free. Sobe is really gross to me... meh  :yucky: vitamin water is even worse.... I stick to gatorade or really any chilled fruit juice drink. I personally do not like to drink plain water as it makes me feel really sick and bloated! Sometimes if I drink a cup of water I throw it up! To me plain water tastes similar to aspirin. Well-water and tap water is the worst tasting! Spring water is the only one I can really stand.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:27:22 AM by Princess Lala »

Aednatia

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:41:31 AM »

Okay, you're definitely not lactose intolerant, but full on allergic to milk, and you probably then have a soy allergy as it's not altogether uncommon.  My mother, myself, and my roommate are all basketcases for allergies.  Mom has a soy allergy and several other food allergies, I have celiac's disease ( not really an allergy, but still food related ) and am allergic to pineapple, and roommate is allergic to shellfish and lactose intolerant.  Do you get at all red in the face and feverish too, along with the discomfort?  That's what happens to my mom. 

I don't think I get red or feverish I've never noticed. I'm perpetually cold so I like fevers (probably not a good thing). I get coughs and can't swallow at worst. Found out I was allergic when I was in the ER. Not the best way to find out. I was drinking a glass (or more) a day, everyday, for 20 years.
Cashew milk sounds gross.

Soy milk for me! =) This one is lactose intolerant, and although not allergic, milk protein (casein) does NOT agree with my system and I have to take special pills if I eat cheese or ice cream! If not... well.... it makes me very very sick, gassy, and I will be over the pot alllll night miserable. But I love the creamy and cold taste of milk! So I tried Silk and omg I loved it! Its either a hit-or-miss with people. I myself do not like coconut milk, almond milk, or rice milk. To me... Silk is perfect.

As far as water-like drinks.... I personally hate anything that tastes sugar-free. Sobe is really gross to me... meh  :yucky: vitamin water is even worse.... I stick to gatorade or really any chilled fruit juice drink. I personally do not like to drink plain water as it makes me feel really sick and bloated! Sometimes if I drink a cup of water I throw it up! To me plain water tastes similar to aspirin. Well-water and tap water is the worst tasting! Spring water is the only one I can really stand.
What pills do you take? I want to try everything before I give up completely. There is some pretty nasty water out there, but wow that doesn't sound fun at all.

flyawayraven

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »
Eek! Sounds like your milk allergy really is quite bad if you're having reactions that strong. :( Are you able to get to an allergist and see if there's anything they can do to help make the reaction less severe?

You might want to give flavored seltzer a try. Flavored seltzers aren't sweetened and they're made with carbonated water so they're less boring than still water. It's like drinking a soda without the sugar!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
I like Propel in lemon and grape, Clear American in strawberry, and Nestle PureLife in Lemon.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »
Silk makes a really nice chocolate almond milk, I have never met anyone who hasn't like that, and it can help your taste buds acclimate

Before I was told to scrap everything (I have severe food issues and ive been lactose intolerant since highschool) this was what my sub was.  That or soy.

Now, dad is also lactose intolerant and does NOT like anything but lactose free milk.

I...also can no loner have anything soy or almond.  Had to go complete elimination and I found out I react to a lot of the things that were thought to be safe xD

If you have to eliminate milk--make sure you get the proper supplements.  My dietitian would backhand me if she could >>  You don't want to go deficient, trust me.

As far as flavoured waters, why not make your own? Can you have citrus? mint? ginger? cucumber? any of that would go well just put into a bottle of ice cold water and shaken ^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 04:44:25 PM »
It's not an enhanced water, but I drink Izze juice as a substitution for my soda addiction. It's just fruit juice, but with carbonation.

Of course, there's always regular juice, too (as long as you make sure it's 100% juice!).

PuddingPie

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
oh man, i have a total addiction to grocery store-brand sparkling water. it seems that every grocery store has its own brand of sparkling water!
i've always hated milk so my tastes may be different, but key lime and black cherry sparkling water helped me get off my soda addiction. around Thanksgiving stores start to sell the fancy sparkling grape juice and apple cider, and that stuff is why i get up in the morning  :lol: sparkling water only seems to come in fruity flavors, though.

EDIT: if you don't like the strong, kinda sugary flavor of sparkling water, seltzer water has a flavor that is a lot more subtle, but a lot more bubbles. probably not good for a really sensitive stomach (my mom sometimes gets very sick because of the strong carbonation)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:06:45 PM by PuddingPie »

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • "She'll become a crazy cat lady!...Give her time"
    • View Profile
Re: &quot;Enhanced water&quot;
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
I really like Talking Rain sparkling water. It comes in a couple flavors, my favorite is the peach nectarine. :)
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Aednatia

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll look into some when I find them in stores. I haven't found a store brand sparkler that I like yet. Never tried Izzie. Not sure if I tried Talking Rain.

As far as flavoured waters, why not make your own? Can you have citrus? mint? ginger? cucumber? any of that would go well just put into a bottle of ice cold water and shaken ^^

I haven't had much success making anything taste good. I'm bad at making Kool-Aid. I can occasionally make a decent Tang.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal