collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about Billy shelves  (Read 909 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Question about Billy shelves
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
I know a number of you have Billy shelves to display your collection, and I was thinking of getting a couple myself. But I have a couple of specific questions relating to some of the dimensions.  Specifically, I need to know how far apart vertically the peg holes are. I'm going to be modifying the shelves so they can fit more stuff by getting some narrow boards, drilling new peg holes and placing them above each shelf, sort of like shelf risers, but attached to the sides. Getting some rough dimensions on how far apart the pegs are, I can get a better idea of a starting point for where to place the extra shelves I'll be putting on and how to lay it all out.

I want to get started on that before I actually get the shelves so I can see if two will be enough for now.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Billy shelves
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:25:30 AM »
You may have to check out your shelves in person, if possible, for that kind of information, because BILLY is actually a product line rather than a standard one-size-fits-all shelf.  The dimensions and construction methods have changed over the years, as I recently found when adding some more space to our downstairs library.

Or pick out a specific shelf size you're considering, and see if anyone's bought that one recently?
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
My mom has some of those shelves and she might be able to do some measurements and let me know when she gets home from work. She says there are "a lot of holes" though.

Maybe you could call IKEA and ask them directly? They're all about customization, so they probably wouldn't mind talking to you about your modification project.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »
Speaking of Billy shelves, how heavy / light are they for their size?  (I know size varies with them.)  Are they easy to move around in case of redecorating?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
Billy shelves have a lot of pin holes with about an inch between and you can buy extra loose shelves and pins to put in if you need it.

LadyMoondancer: I can't lift the largest one by myself but I can push it with no problems if I remove the shelves.

Alzatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »
If you're referring to the large Billy shelves, I can get you those measurements

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
You're talking about the standard 5-shelf BILLY bookcase? I don't have one at hand to measure, but I'm pretty sure the peg holes are ~3cm apart vertically, not counting the hole-less portion around the middle fixed shelf. Hopefully someone can check theirs and get you the exact measurement.

Although, if I understand your project's goal correctly, have you considered the BESTÃ… bookcase instead? It's similar to the BILLY in volume and price, but it has a middle row of peg holes pre-drilled and matching half-depth shelves you can buy. I applaud your willingness to DIY, I just want to make sure you know you don't have to do it yourself. :bigups:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
I will second the fact that they can change! I have had Billy bookcases as long as they have been available I think :P and I also bought a couple in the last year and they have certainly changed a touch in measurements. The most current set have 3cm between the peg holes but the holes do not run the entire height of the book case there are various different positioning around the "common" places for the shelves (probably for balance reasons). I would also recommend simply buying additional shelves and pegs - the only shelves you cant move are of course the base and the middle shelf but the additional shelves will allow you to make the rest of the display bespoke to your purposes.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal