collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts on this G1 Flutter Morning Glory? Prototype/Factory Flaw or Rehair?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
I've had this Morning Glory in my collection for a long time- I'd say about 15 years.  She came in with a lot of ponies from eBay during one of its earlier years.  I always just figured her tail was lost and then replaced with this one by a child's parent, but looking at her recently, her head looks factory sealed (will not budge!) and it does not look like it's ever been removed.  I feel like it may be impossible to securely re-tail a pony without removing the head, so I wanted to get your thoughts on if you think this could have been done by the factory.

She rattles softly when picked up, but the tail is firmly secured.  Her wing "button" is missing but the plastic piece covering her back also looks very secure and factory sealed.

Does anyone know of a green tailed Morning Glory prototype, say, in one of the pamphlets?  If she were a prototype though, I feel like they would have made her mane match the tail. (I like the idea of green hair on her!)  Her tail looks to be the same color, texture, and length of my flutter Wind Drifter, so perhaps the factory gave her Wind Drifter's tail by mistake?  Though Wind Drifter was a later release I thought, so not certain that could be possible... 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Sometimes people will push a new tail in through the tail hole if the washer comes loose and the original tail falls out.  Hard to say, though, if it seems firmly set in the body.  There have been some factory oddities....  I had one of the Rockin' Beats ponies with a U.S. release mane color (blue) and a Euro release tail (purple).

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Wow, it's a lovely shade of green tail she has there. Possibly could belong to a So Soft Scrumptious or Magic Star? I know that some ponies have been produced with mismatched manes and tails (most noticeably where one is fading pink and the other non-fading pink - Princess Serena, BB Steamer and Sunspot off the top of my head). It could certainly be a factory error if she looks sealed from every angle. Or perhaps a crafty parent frankensteined two ponies together and managed to jam someone else's tail into this Morning Glory's tail hole well enough that it stays in.

Other ponies that use this shade of green include Raspberry Jam, Sunnybunch, Wind Drifter and Cool Breeze, but they were all produced years later so I think the SS ponies might be the most likely donors.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Her rattle means her washer has fallen out.  My guess is her original tail came out and was replaced.  That tail looks too thick and full to be a flutter tail.

If you put in a replacement tail and tug it just right, you can get the tail clasp to sit "sideways" across the tail hole, which will hold it in very securely.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Gaspode

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+270)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
She's a variant! Perhaps post about her on nirvana forum? She's kinda like he UK variant princesses - put together from odd parts at the end of a run iirc. I have seen a few before.

Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous siggy and avatar!

Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gaspodesponys

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
As Gaspode said she is a variant :)

After the MLP line finished random princess, flutter and happy tails ponies were created and sold in the UK in pound shops or cheap shops. They were often put in the wrong box as well. Mail orders and other oddities were sold in plain bags with card board ticket saying "My Little Pony" on the top.

The flutter variants mostly have missing wing holders and odd manes and tails. They look broken, which is why they often slip under the radar.

Here is link to the nirvana gallery where you can see one MIB :)

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=471291

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Oh wow this is the first time I have seen these.  Hasbro really wasn't trying anymore during the end were they?  Lazy Hasbro!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Looks like a retail to me, but whether she is a retail or a variant I think she looks really cool.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Congrats on such a fun pony!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
Such a fun pony! Looks a bit like she swapped tails with somepony. :P

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Yay for more UK wackies.

I was going to say, re Wind Drifter, not necessarily. She was sold the same year as Morning Glory in the UK, because here we had Morning Glory and Rosedust rereleased, not Rosedust and Lily (?) like the States.

So it makes a lot of sense that they would have pieces of both ponies lying around at the same time.

Though she's obviously one of the wackies :)

Edit to add: I hadn't seen the MIB one before, but I'm now wondering if that is a UK box, because I have seen a different one here with a UK price tag on it - but the spelling on that latter one was American...? (Sorry for the slight OT). I ask because I know the Princess boxes used were generally US ones?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:44:10 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Yay for more UK wackies.

I was going to say, re Wind Drifter, not necessarily. She was sold the same year as Morning Glory in the UK, because here we had Morning Glory and Rosedust rereleased, not Rosedust and Lily (?) like the States.

So it makes a lot of sense that they would have pieces of both ponies lying around at the same time.

Though she's obviously one of the wackies :)

Edit to add: I hadn't seen the MIB one before, but I'm now wondering if that is a UK box, because I have seen a different one here with a UK price tag on it - but the spelling on that latter one was American...? (Sorry for the slight OT). I ask because I know the Princess boxes used were generally US ones?

There is a thread on her somewhere .... :P

She was found on UK ebay a few years back. Others have since popped up on UK eBay again in a Cool Breeze box. They have a mummy charm and in the little bag is a happytails squirrel clip :P

I have seen a double box! Two maneless wonders (both Honey Suckle) in Princess Pearl's box (Princess Pearl rather than Princess Tiffany), with two brushes a blue butterfly and a blue daisy (because that is what manesless ponies need) a pink ribbon AND a yellow princess hat.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
These girls are super cool! And as others have already confirmed you do have a very special variant there - we did like oddballs here in the UK!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
Wow, very cool. I love flutters, it seems you probably have a factory error or variant :) I didn't know the UK got some "wacky" ponies like this!

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Wow, awesome to know she is a variant.  You know, I believe she DID come from the UK!  If memory serves me right, I got her in a lot of ponies that was my first ever UK purchase around 2000- actually my mom was the one who purchased the lot to surprise me.  I wanted the lot for Hopscotch and Baby Katie, but this Morning Glory and one of the oddball Princess Sparkle variants were also in the lot!  (I originally put that Princess Sparkle in my bait my box before I knew she was a variant!)  :shocked:

I appreciate all of the photos, links, and pony history you've all shared! :) 
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal