collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Steven Universe anyone?  (Read 43564 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Universe anyone?
« Reply #555 on: May 29, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »
Just watched the Memorial Day special.  Wow!  Don't want to spoil anything, I'll just say cool character development with Lars!  And now I want to know more about Lion's past!  And Yellow Diamond...Did she?????  Now how long do we have to wait for new material?

Yes, how long? HOW LONG!? =O

I loved the special! In particular, how Steven's character development is consistent... He's grown so much over the course of the series (albeit, not physically, lol! Poor Steven!). I loved seeing the
Spoiler
new gems
, too!

And yeah...
Spoiler
Yellow Diamond is suddenly seeming very suspicious. The first time I heard "What's the Use of Feeling Blue", I though her tone for lines like "Yes, of course we still love her..." sounded rather... insincere.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 29, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »
Just watched the Memorial Day special.  Wow!  Don't want to spoil anything, I'll just say cool character development with Lars!  And now I want to know more about Lion's past!  And Yellow Diamond...Did she?????  Now how long do we have to wait for new material?

Yes, how long? HOW LONG!? =O

I loved the special! In particular, how Steven's character development is consistent... He's grown so much over the course of the series (albeit, not physically, lol! Poor Steven!). I loved seeing the
Spoiler
new gems
, too!

And yeah...
Spoiler
Yellow Diamond is suddenly seeming very suspicious. The first time I heard "What's the Use of Feeling Blue", I though her tone for lines like "Yes, of course we still love her..." sounded rather... insincere.

Yeah. It's sorta did. Wait. Plot twist: it was all white diamonds doing because white diamond got mad after loosing a game of gem kart with pink diamond. It's like Mario kart, but gems.

Overall, these are my thoughts on the episode.
Spoiler
can I just say the new off colour gems are so awesome. One of them is a caterpillar for gems sake! And the little orange Sapphire was just too cute! I love how she sees stuff after it happens. She sounds so happy when she predicts the events that already happened. And rhodonite and the rutile weee so cute as well. We have another cotton candy fusion and some Siamese twins. That Lars now lives with. The poor dude just sacrificed himself to a life on homeworld for steven! Now who am I supposed to ship Sadie with?! Do gems have Skype? Please tell me they can have a long distance relationship! We got to see more of yellow and blue diamond, and see that homeworld does have a trial system. They do have some democracy, albeit a very odd one. 
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 30, 2017, 06:06:34 AM »
aaaaa the new eps were so good!!

Spoiler
I couldn't believe what happened to Lars!! He's my favourite human so I was freaking out when it looked like they'd killed him off for real XD I like his new look but aaaa I hope they bring him back soon ;o; I wonder if non-gems can go into Lion's mane.. if they could, maybe Sadie and the others could visit him, at least..

The off-colours were so cool! I like the Rutile twins :D And I loove the lawyer Zircon, she was adorable. Hope we see her again sometime.

I was watching it with my friend and she suggested maybe Lars can teleport like Lion can? That would be interesting! I'm intrigued to see how they'll bring him back, anyway.

And aaaaaa more twists in the "Pink Diamond was shattered" plot!!! Personally, I don't think Yellow did it, it seems too obvious.. I'm wondering about Blue, it'd be a heck of a plot twist if it was her. Could be White too, since we know nothing about her. aaaaaaa I'm so excited though!! I wonder when the next eps'll come out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 30, 2017, 07:24:54 AM »

Spoiler
I couldn't believe what happened to Lars!! He's my favourite human so I was freaking out when it looked like they'd killed him off for real XD I like his new look but aaaa I hope they bring him back soon ;o; I wonder if non-gems can go into Lion's mane.. if they could, maybe Sadie and the others could visit him, at least..

The off-colours were so cool! I like the Rutile twins :D And I loove the lawyer Zircon, she was adorable. Hope we see her again sometime.

I was watching it with my friend and she suggested maybe Lars can teleport like Lion can? That would be interesting! I'm intrigued to see how they'll bring him back, anyway.

And aaaaaa more twists in the "Pink Diamond was shattered" plot!!! Personally, I don't think Yellow did it, it seems too obvious.. I'm wondering about Blue, it'd be a heck of a plot twist if it was her. Could be White too, since we know nothing about her. aaaaaaa I'm so excited though!! I wonder when the next eps'll come out.

Spoiler
I was wondering if Yellow Diamond was a red herring, as well. It does seem too obvious... like that's what they WANT US to think. X3 I had considered Blue as a culprit also... Maybe, for whatever reason, she felt like she "HAD" to shatter Pink Diamond, and genuinely is mourning her? She would be justifying her actions as having been "for the greater good", but would still be horrified at what she had done... or something. That would be a more interesting route for things to go!

That said, Yellow has the clear motive... It's been strongly emphasized that she wants everything to "have a use":
"An army has a use; they can go and fight a war!
A Sapphire has a use; she can tell you what it's for!"

...Even to the point of questioning the purpose of emotion itself:
"Why keep up her silly zoo? Oh tell me... what's the use of feeling, Blue?"

In that same scene, Yellow criticizes Blue for sentimentally hanging on to the bubbled Rose Quartzes because "...they were hers". Pink Diamond had a penchant for "unecessary" things, like the aforementioned human "zoo". Maybe Yellow felt that Pink's frivolities were damaging their mission, and decided they'd be more efficient without her?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:07:10 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 01, 2017, 07:02:29 AM »

Spoiler

Spoiler
I was wondering if Yellow Diamond was a red herring, as well. It does seem too obvious... like that's what they WANT US to think. X3 I had considered Blue as a culprit also... Maybe, for whatever reason, she felt like she "HAD" to shatter Pink Diamond, and genuinely is mourning her? She would be justifying her actions as having been "for the greater good", but would still be horrified at what she had done... or something. That would be a more interesting route for things to go!

That said, Yellow has the clear motive... It's been strongly emphasized that she wants everything to "have a use":
"An army has a use; they can go and fight a war!
A Sapphire has a use; she can tell you what it's for!"

...Even to the point of questioning the purpose of emotion itself:
"Why keep up her silly zoo? Oh tell me... what's the use of feeling, Blue?"

In that same scene, Yellow criticizes Blue for sentimentally hanging on to the bubbled Rose Quartzes because "...they were hers". Pink Diamond had a penchant for "unecessary" things, like the aforementioned human "zoo". Maybe Yellow felt that Pink's frivolities were damaging their mission, and decided they'd be more efficient without her?

Spoiler
Ooooh, you do bring up some good points, especially regarding Blue. I could totally see that being the case (her feeling like she 'had' to shatter Pink but still being genuinely remorseful about it). Honestly I could see it going either way at this point (that is, I could see it being any of the Diamonds that did it, if that makes sense), it'll be very interesting to see what did happen :o

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 01, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »
Spoilers from the newly aired episodes!
Spoiler
I'm going to admit I'd been a little disappointed with the last episodes of the fourth season. Especially Lion 4: Alternate Ending, which I had been expecting to dump some Lion lore. So imagine my mirth when we were finally found out exactly what Lion is in the latest episode.

The Wanted event gave us so much to think about. I mean I never thought we'd be questioning if Rose actually shattered Pink Diamond or if one of the Diamonds themselves was in on it. Not to mention we got to see Yellow Diamond use her zappy fingers, met cool new gems like Zircon and the off colors, and saw Lars die and be resurrected! Such a roller coaster. I love this show.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 01, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »
Spoiler
I thought Lion 4 was a bit disappointing, too. Dunno how to describe it exactly, but it just sort of dragged, imo? Like, it went on longer than it really needed to, if that makes sense. Not sure how to word it.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 20, 2017, 01:40:35 PM »
Steven Universe fans check out my mini comic posted in the arts forum!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 23, 2017, 08:05:37 AM »
I used to love it, but the scheduling is so tedious. Along with dead plot threads, characters getting sidelined and changed on a whim, and one-shot celeb cameo characters telegraphing they will never return because they are too expensive - it just sucked out the fun for me.

Still love the art and designs a lot. I recently got the artbook.
And I'll keep watching because I want to know how it all ends. But yeah, my rose-colored glasses are off :P Badum-tss!

I'd slightly change my mind if Jasper would return. I was so interested in her and all those Gem relationships, but they are keeping too many things secret for too long.
I would recommend binging each season because the flow of this show is whack.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 23, 2017, 03:34:04 PM »
God yes, CN's scheduling is atrocious. It seems that if a show isn't TTG, you have to wait months for eps (don't even get me started on the stupid bomb format they seem to have settled on).

I was a bit disappointed by the artbook - it felt a bit lacking/insubstantial, if that makes sense? It felt like a lot of it was just stuff we'd seen before on the internet and such. I am glad I got it, it did have some interesting stuff in there (especially all the stuff about the pilot and the early designs! I love that sort of stuff) but I don't think I'd get it again, if that.. makes sense. XD

I've been getting a bit burned out on SU too, though. The last batch of eps - the Lars/off-colour ones - were good so hopefully it's picking up again.. the eps before that were VERY hit or miss imo ^^; And I def. agree with you on the celeb cameo thing - Opal's one of my favourite fusions, but it doesn't look like she's coming back anytime soon... :/ Celebrity cameos are fine if the character is either intended to be a one-off or one that rarely appears (I'm not sure how to word it - I'm thinking like how in Adventure Time for example, a lot of the Fionna and Cake characters have guest star VAs - but those characters only show up once a season, if that, so it's not as much of a problem if they can't get them back. If that makes sense?), but for the fusions.. -sigh- I don't know, I liked Aimee Mann and Nicki Minaj's performances but since they clearly can't get any of them back, I sort of wish they'd picked less high-profile VAs for Opal and Sugilite? It really feels like they should've shown up again by now (and actually done something, I mean - I'm not counting the two-second non-speaking cameos they had in a few eps).

....also the inconsistent proportions/heights/etc on everyone are kind of grating. :P I know it's always been a thing, but it wasn't always this bad. Peridot gets hit by this particularly badly, I've noticed.

But I do like it still. :B And Zapper, I liked your post, it's really nice to see a fair criticism of the show without it being a full-on attack on it. If that makes sense, heh.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 24, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
I agree not all of the episodes are mind blowing, but I think that's been true since the start... I think in general there is a lot of humor, great issues, and really good writing that is sometimes brilliant-  pretty hard to keep that in every single episode.

But yeah the flow of the show is really rough- three episodes and then months and months of nothing-  and then another bomb...  I do tend to start from the beginning after a long absence to give me a better feel/flow (and because a lot of the episodes are good enough to watch multiple times in my opinion)

As for the guest stars, you guys raise some points but on the other hand, I've heard from stars at Comic Con that they really like to do guest cartoon voice acting- because it is easy, fun, and they can show up in their sweats and read the lines...  so I wouldn't rule out seeing Sugilite or Opal again- and we wouldn't want them super often anyway as I like the idea of the characters forming only for really extreme reasons...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal