collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Silica gel packets...  (Read 935 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Silica gel packets...
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
Hey all,

After my horror the other week of opening up a box containing baby ponies and finding them all covered with mould, people on here suggested I keep silica gel in my boxes. This is a great idea and my first batch arrived today, yay!

My question is this...is it ok to put individual packets *inside* each pony, as well as scattering some in the box? I have spent most of my weekend taking the heads off my ponies, removing their tails, ditching the rusty washers, removing the tail rust and disinfecting the insides of the ponies. Most are now completely dry and one or two are still drying. Now that I have my lovely, clean, rust and mould free ponies back, I never want moisture to wreak it's havoc EVER again, so.....silica gel packets *inside* each pony, yay or nay? Can it do any harm to the plastic? I know for some, this may be overkill, but I can be a little OCDish when it comes to ponies! I don't mind overkill as long as I won't be harming them by doing it. What do people think?

Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Silica gel packets...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
 Just to make sure we're clear, you *are* referring to the packets of pellets that absorb moisture to keep tools from rusting, yes?

I'm... honestly not sure if putting them inside a pony would be a good idea or not. :huh: I do know they eventually wear out, given enough time. Since they're in their cloth bags, they don't come into contact with the pony itself (the bag does). Hmm... I don't know. I think I would try contacting the manufacturer. I know I've received these packets inside purchased items, but I believe said items have all been larger than a pony toy. :awake:
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
I would not put them inside a pony.  In the box with them is fine, just plan to change out according to the manufactures directions for how long they last.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
Yes, I am referring to the little dehumidifying pellets. And yes, they are inside a little paper packet so the actual gel beads would not come into contact with the pony but the paper bag would. I have bought small things in the past (such as a camera case, a purse/wallet etc.) with these packets inside touching the material and the items have shown no sign of damage...hmmm, it's a tough one...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:26:19 AM by Sunlight-Lapin »
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
I have seen and heard of people doing that...but its not something I would jump on board with to be honest (although I am sure they cause no harm I am naturally paranoid :P) I would simply keep them in the box - you do not really need too many to do the job just remember to replace them every now and again.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »
First off when you find them in with a product they are not in there for long term but only till the product gets to it's new owner.

Second, unless you can find out from the manufacter if they are made from acid free and chemical free paper and inks you run the risk of having an issue with the products used to make the paper reacting to the vinyl of the pony.

And third, yes again, we find them in products but for the most part not vinyl products.  Even at work when I unpack some of the vinyl toys that have the packets in the boxes, the toys are in either tissue paper or plastic bags so that the packets can not come into contact with the packets.

I personally would not want to chance what could happen long term.  Ponies have enough issues with cancer and other chemical changes you do not need to add to that.

Plus they do need to be changed, so how often do you want to pop the head off your pony and run the risk of damage that way?
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »
I have them inside my ponies on display, even my priciest ones. However, my room houses nearly 100 gallons of water making moisture more of a worry than the packets themselves. They're in close proximity to the tank and nothing bad has happened so far.
As they are food safe, I also have them inside my fish food containers to keep any moisture from building up in there.

You can recharge them with heat but it does take quite some time baking.  I have not had to recharge them yet, but I know I will need to.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline melon

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:28 AM »
I don't think it's necessary to put the silica gel packet inside the ponies if they are in storage as it involves removing all their heads.

Hmm.. But if they are for display like in Chi's case, scattering the packets might mess up the display.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
Heads come off, I put silica in. Summers here can get really humid. I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet. I only put silica in if the head is removed for cleaning. If the pony looks OK inside and out I leave the silica out. Just my rule of thumb. So far nothing funky has happened and I've done this for 4 years...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »
mlp4me and Chi, thank you! I was beginning to think I was bonkers for thinking of it  :P

I can understand everyone else's concerns as I had them myself which is why I posted...maybe I'll try it first on one baity pony and monitor to see what happens. If it's ok and I go ahead then I will check on them all regularly and change the packets according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Thanks for your input everyone!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal