collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customs forms, gift checkbox vs merchandise checkbox?  (Read 6010 times)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Customs forms, gift checkbox vs merchandise checkbox?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
Honestly, for me the issue is the number of times packages go missing.  We recently *saw* a big mess of what can happen with an international package, even with well known people on here.  If the full value of those had not been on the customs form, how long do you think that would have dragged on?   
I am a natural worry wart, but the only way I'd put a lower value then what I get for an item is if the buyer has written to me saying they are agreed that if the item goes missing, that lower value will be all they can expect back from me.   On the other hand, I *have* agreed to split up a valuable lot when mailing it, so each package is under the customs fee amount... it costs a lot more shipping, and was a lot more work for me, but depending on the country, it can be cheaper then the fees! 

Ideally, the laws should be changed to eliminate the fees or set a more reasonable standard percentage(none of this shipping cost plus a handling fee plus a customs fee, it's ridiculous!) of the item value.  But that can only be done by each country, and there's nothing we in another country can really do about it.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WingedElf

• Trade Count: (+136)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 05:40:25 AM »

Now the system is put in place to encourage trading within the European Union. Fair enough - I buy a cheap Ipad from Hongkong - the government misses out on sales tax. I don't disagree with the system as such, although I do disagree with the ridicolously low threshold (it's like $25) but the main point is that this should not even be applied to second hand goods.
They've already had their sales tax when the item was first purchased. They wouldn't get anything out of me if I purchased a second hand toy within the UK - so why should they charge me just because the toy comes from Canada?

Couldn't agree with you more Sebby. Outrageous customs charges on second hand items have pretty much stopped me buying any expensive ponies from outside of Europe. I'm happy to pay them on new items like Iphones and perfume etc. - but on second hand plastic ponies that wouldn't have sales tax applied in this country and are essentially worthless to anyone other than collectors, no.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 06:06:36 AM »

The system is grossly unfair and what makes it worse is there is absolutely no understanding for our situation.
Every time a thread like this is started, the Righteous come out in force and and make us feel like criminals.
I'm aware that it is officially a federal offence to lie on a customs form, but if Mimic was purchased from Goodwill for a dollar - then what is the declarable value of Mimic?

I tend to just put the original retail price unless what it currently is worth is less and then I put that. "Collector values" are pretty much only relevant to collectors. Some ponies are worth more because we as a community decided they were due to how rare they are. To anyone else they are all just plastic ponies and all worth the same few bucks. That's why goodwill can sell Mimic for a buck in the first place.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 07:39:54 AM »
The system is grossly unfair and what makes it worse is there is absolutely no understanding for our situation.
Every time a thread like this is started, the Righteous come out in force and and make us feel like criminals.
I'm aware that it is officially a federal offence to lie on a customs form, but if Mimic was purchased from Goodwill for a dollar - then what is the declarable value of Mimic?

Believe me, I understand.  I don't think my property tax assessment is a fairly assessed amount.  The real estate boards of our city have determined that they have over-valued the market by 30% but nananana we have to pay anyway!

I also have to pay outrageous shipping prices from Canada Post anytime I want anything shipped. 

Canadian prices on everything are at least $3-10 more on average.

I don't like the way that the system works in our country either, but that's the cost of collecting displayable, brushable plastic. 

If Mimic was purchased for a dollar and you sold her to someone for a dollar, then that's what you should put on the customs form.  If you bought her for a dollar and sold her for $100, then put $100 on the form.  It really doesn't matter whether we are talking new or secondhand, we are talking about GOODS.  Iphone, diamond ring, cheap carnival stuffie... what is the value of the goods inside?  It's not any different than sales tax at a store - you can't negotiate that.  You would be paying those taxes from a store shelf if the products were available to you in that manner, so why does it matter?

Collecting has just gotten very expensive sadly... no longer are MLP a bargain entry-level collectible...  most of us are past that point but it still stings that we can't shop until we drop - our wallet drops MUCH faster!  :(  *pony hugs*

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Honestly, for me the issue is the number of times packages go missing.  We recently *saw* a big mess of what can happen with an international package, even with well known people on here.  If the full value of those had not been on the customs form, how long do you think that would have dragged on?   
I am a natural worry wart, but the only way I'd put a lower value then what I get for an item is if the buyer has written to me saying they are agreed that if the item goes missing, that lower value will be all they can expect back from me.

Yup, this. I will help my fellow pony collectors where I can and have marked items as gifts in the past for countries where the price threshold before taxes is much more reasonable on gifts. But I always put the correct value. If the declared value is not correct then I would be completely screwed over if the item went missing. The buyer would get their full amount back through a paypal claim but I wouldn't get the full amount back from the post office - so I'd be out the sold item and the money.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »
The joke is that their misguided attempt to force us to buy from within the EU (and so long as so many companies are US-centric it will continue to be impossible to live in this country without importing) doesn't even work.

Case in point: I import a figure from Japan costing me £20 inc postage. Import tax is 20% + £8 handling (and yep folks, unless you're importing over £100 you are looking at 50-90% of your item's worth once customs are done) ~ £35. The same item from a UK store? £45 plus postage. So...yeah I'm going to import it.

It's just ridiculous to be punished for importing things that are often worth peanuts in tax  :mad:
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 04:18:52 AM »
The joke is that their misguided attempt to force us to buy from within the EU (and so long as so many companies are US-centric it will continue to be impossible to live in this country without importing) doesn't even work.

Case in point: I import a figure from Japan costing me £20 inc postage. Import tax is 20% + £8 handling (and yep folks, unless you're importing over £100 you are looking at 50-90% of your item's worth once customs are done) ~ £35. The same item from a UK store? £45 plus postage. So...yeah I'm going to import it.

It's just ridiculous to be punished for importing things that are often worth peanuts in tax  :mad:

Agreed! ^^ *sigh* :(

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Speaking of getting back the price of the item from the post office if it goes missing, does that apply to first class international mail as well as Priority International?

My impression is you can't get money back if First Class international mail goes missing because it can't be insured--is that correct?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
Speaking of getting back the price of the item from the post office if it goes missing, does that apply to first class international mail as well as Priority International?

My impression is you can't get money back if First Class international mail goes missing because it can't be insured--is that correct?
There's no insurance included or available for additional purchase on First Class. Priority International comes with some included insurance (it varies but is around $60, I believe) and you can purchase additional insurance as an added-on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal