collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flaws on new ponies?  (Read 498 times)

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
Flaws on new ponies?
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:09:37 AM »
Hi everyone!

I've come here to ask some questions:

I know that a lot of collectors have complained about ponies having flaws, even when they're new. I was fortunate enough to never have that problem... up until yesterday >_<

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Firstly, my new Shining Armour has a dent in his body from where the packaging was digging in :huh: Has anyone here ever had that problem before? And, if so, how do I go about fixing it?

Secondly, Lyra here has two small, dirty-looking marks on her head that water wouldn't fetch off :/ How do I remove those?

Any help will be greatly appreciated ^.^ Thank you in advance  :biggrin:

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Kamisha

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • No rainbow today.
    • View Profile
Re: Flaws on new ponies?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:56:33 AM »
Oh, I bought a trio of CMC Wild Rainbow brushable ponies. All of them had a dirt-like spots on their heads. Shame on you, Hasbro! QC should be more restrictive.

My Ebay | Like my plushies on Facebook!

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:00:57 AM »
Was that from the Favorite's set with Queen Chrysalis? Got my set not too long ago and my Lyra has few indentations on her as well as an oddly shaped face. You really have to look at her to really see how "off" of her head, though. It was so rounded I was under the impression they had stuck a G4 baby head on her at first. ^^; I also think I've gotten a Fluttershy from another set that had a mark on her leg. I've also had a bit of glue in hair, super knotted manes, bits of the mane stuck in the neck, and a Cadance-mold Luna I have has one of her wings that is a bit smushed against the other thanks to the box. x-x Unfortunately QC issues just happen either right out of the factory or in shipping.

I have no idea how to get rid of indentations like that, though. I just sort of say "oh well" live with it. >>;

QC should be more restrictive.

Can you imagine how impossible that would be when you consider how many ponies the production lines must churn out? Everything would probably grind to a halt if even if they had a dozen people hired to inspect most likely hundreds of individual dolls for any sort of flaw.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:05:48 AM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »
Dents in vinyl caused by packaging usually sort themselves out in a few weeks - sometimes mild heat is needed with serious deformation, but I'd just leave Shining Armor alone for a while and see if it doesn't bounce back without any help first. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »
all the ponies and EG dolls I've bouht on Amazon have misaligned eyes and dirt.

I think the online retailers sell the "unattractive display " ones they probably get a discount.  :(

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »
Dents in vinyl caused by packaging usually sort themselves out in a few weeks - sometimes mild heat is needed with serious deformation, but I'd just leave Shining Armor alone for a while and see if it doesn't bounce back without any help first.

Really? :whew: That's great. How long do you think it would take if it is going to sort itself out?

Post Merge: January 29, 2015, 09:52:25 AM

all the ponies and EG dolls I've bouht on Amazon have misaligned eyes and dirt.

I think the online retailers sell the "unattractive display " ones they probably get a discount.  :(

Wow, it sounds like my lot could have been a lot worse :/

Post Merge: January 29, 2015, 09:53:14 AM

Was that from the Favorite's set with Queen Chrysalis?

Yep. Luckily, all the other ponies are just fine
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:53:14 AM by mopthebunny »

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »
I've had luck using magic erasers to get rid of dirt smudges on new ponies. As far as the indentations go... well, I've never eally tried to get rid of them. Some do seem to become less noticeable over time. I imagine applying some heat would help to sort it out with a bit of work.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline Kamisha

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • No rainbow today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 01:05:38 PM »
QC should be more restrictive.

Can you imagine how impossible that would be when you consider how many ponies the production lines must churn out? Everything would probably grind to a halt if even if they had a dozen people hired to inspect most likely hundreds of individual dolls for any sort of flaw.

That's what make people proffessional. If I buy them more expensive than Chinese bulk, I want it in excellent, not bulk condition

My Ebay | Like my plushies on Facebook!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
I agree with simply leaving the pony be initially for the dents. Or heating the section up in order to encourage the plastic back to its original position (hairdryer or hot water or being wrapped completely in  kitchen roll and left in a very sunny window - so only the heat and not the light reaches the pony should work).

Unfortunately dirty marks are not uncommon on inexpensive mass produced items - they should be removable with anything from magic eraser to sun fading.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal