collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hands off! Affordable display cabinets..?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Hands off! Affordable display cabinets..?
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
Within the next year or so, I am planning to move in with my bf (then to be hubby).  He has three girls who, while well behaved, will be *very* interested in my collectables...  I will need a cabinet, preferably one that can be locked.  ;) 

So, do you have any suggestions for me?  I don't want to break the bank, but I do want to be able to display my things without the threat of distruction.. lol!

Thanks for any help!

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Re: Hands off! Affordable display cabinets..?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:32:59 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Could add a lock, I bought this at a going out of business sale $25
:accomplished:

meskhetyw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:04 PM »
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80269122/

I'm thinking about getting this one for myself. No idea how many ponies will fit though.

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:50:51 AM »
Heh, too bad I don't know of any going out of business sales!

--------

I like the look of the one from ikea.  Not sure it looks lockable though?

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:56:32 AM »
Ikea has some great cabinets, but I can't remember one that could be locked... :(
Maybe you can get a room for yourself and then lock the door? :D

I guess I would go through classifieds in the local newspaper or something like that. I hope you'll get lucky!
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 05:32:15 AM »
Check Craig's list. We got several cabinets that way.   

These probably fall into the "break the bank" category, but they are the cheapest and largest brand new cabinets we've been able to find. My husband ordered a few of these and they are REALLY nice.   They have lights and locks.
http://www.roxydisplay.com/product-p/sc-wc4w.htm

But if you're looking to save money, you'll probably want to buy used.   Finding going-out-of-business sales is a great suggestion(Craig's list might be able to help with that too) but there are also individuals selling pieces like that too.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:09:38 AM »
Check Craig's list. We got several cabinets that way.   

These probably fall into the "break the bank" category, but they are the cheapest and largest brand new cabinets we've been able to find. My husband ordered a few of these and they are REALLY nice.   They have lights and locks.
http://www.roxydisplay.com/product-p/sc-wc4w.htm

But if you're looking to save money, you'll probably want to buy used.   Finding going-out-of-business sales is a great suggestion(Craig's list might be able to help with that too) but there are also individuals selling pieces like that too.

Holy smokes, those are some *nice* cabinets!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 06:42:21 AM »
Ikea has some great cabinets, but I can't remember one that could be locked... :(
Maybe you can get a room for yourself and then lock the door? :D

I guess I would go through classifieds in the local newspaper or something like that. I hope you'll get lucky!

The home is tiny, he will be adding a room for one of the girls this spring.  There is no way I would get a room to lock.

But, I will try the classifieds for sure!

-------------------------

ashlyne - Thanks, but yeah, way too pricey for me!  I don't need anything fancy at all.   But I will try Craig's list.  Just have to make sure the BF can go with me for pickups.

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:12:43 AM »
I use the Hemnes cabinet from Ikea with 2 wood-framed glass doors:

http://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/art/80213583/

Then I bought a Safety 1st door knob lock like this to lock it:

http://www.safety1st.ca/eng/Products/Home-Safety/Latches-Locks/Details/2255-48555-Grip-n-Go-Cabinet-Lock-1-Pack

A combo like that will probably be your best bet! Good luck!

:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »
Honestly I would check craigslist and local thrift shops. It's easy enough to go to a big box retailer to get a lock that you can install for the outside. Power drill would be required...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:21:55 AM »
Honestly I would check craigslist and local thrift shops. It's easy enough to go to a big box retailer to get a lock that you can install for the outside. Power drill would be required...

Yup, I think this will be my best (most affordable!) bet.   Thanks!

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
Check your local mall for any stores are going out of business that might be selling displays. Depending on what stores they might have one that would work and they generally sale their 'fixtures' at about half retail depending on the damage. I think Wet Seal (would have some) and Deb (maybe have some) are going out of business.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »
This weekend I just went to this store that specializes in "second use" type stuff- (they sell a lot of things like used crown molding/knobs/built-ins that have been torn out- and other old stuff scavenged from very old houses. Well they had an ENTIRE ROW Of old/Victorian era china cabinets for REALLY cheap ($50 - $80). 
If you have strong family members/friends and a truck, I would definitely agree the used media/china cabinets would seem the way to go - and they can definitely be picked up at antique/second use shops, via Craig's list, flea markets, used furniture stores...

I love this option I was really going to go with this option originally- but between my wife and I (both not particularly strong women) figuring out how to get a huge heavy wooden media/china hutch into the house- and THEN figuring out how to carry it up two flights of stairs to my little craft room-  just made my back hurt thinking about.

So this was what I went with:  the KLINGSBO locking glass cabinets from Ikea- ($129)  they are awesome!  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60128562/

Not only are they attractive, they are:
1) SERIOUSLY HUGE - they have nice tall shelves and if you need an especially tall display- you can even leave a shelf out (very easily)
2) They are crazy easy to assemble (and disassemble) and come with LOCKS that are also crazy easy to assemble (and use) (this is important for me who is not good at putting things together);
3) they are easily affixed with lighting (which of course you can also get at Ikea);
4) AND they were delivered to my door!!!  So I could open them up and carry the pieces up stairs without needing anyone's help at all :D

Some pix

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:13:24 AM by Galactica »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »
I second or third or forth IKEA bookcases with doors - a little diy will add a lock which should keep eager little fingers away from the ponies :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »
I second or third or forth IKEA bookcases with doors - a little diy will add a lock which should keep eager little fingers away from the ponies :)

Well, I just looked at this, but shipping is... INSANE!  It would have more than doubled the cost.  I don't have an IKEA here, so shipping was the only option.  But no, no way.   I would have considered if it was reasonable, but the shipping -alone- for the one Galactica showed me was $349.00.  This is just the shipping cost..!  The total would be $478!   I don't know what kind of shipping service they use, but that is crazy!  I know it is a big item, but still!

I will be searching local shops and ads.   For sure!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal