collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1\'s - deteriorating? (not so bad... *whew*) still want advice though!  (Read 528 times)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I just now took a close look at some G1's I have had in a plastic storage drawer for years.  They were in really good condition when put in there...

But now, they have dirt, dust, odd discoloration here and there, and at least two now have 'cancer' spots...

I'm upset to say the least.

Is this because I stored them poorly?  Or are they just getting old?  Any tips for me?  Some of these have glittery symbols and I can't get that part wet..   

Maybe I should just do a group/lot sell :(  I don't know, just upset about this right now.  *sigh*

Thanks for reading.

-----------

Update - I looked at more ponies, and thankfully for the most part it's just dust and such.  A couple do have a spot of 'cancer' though... But overall it's not as bad as I first thought.

Post Merge: January 11, 2015, 11:52:13 AM

I know no one has posted yet, but I have more thoughts to add.   ^.^

I am glad that the ponies are actually not as bad as I first thought, but this had made me think...   I haven't done anything with these ponies in years, it's sad.   I want them to be enjoyed by a collector, maybe someone who will enjoy them more than I have in a while...

So, I think this was the 'kick in the pants' I needed to sell off a majority of my G1 ponies.   I think it's a good thing, and I no longer feel bad about getting rid of them.   I actually sorta feel like I will be doing them better by selling.  :)

I think I will just do a group eBay lot.  Get it all gone in one go.  Less hassle, and less time to over-think it.  lol   I will be sure to mention they are NOT mint condition and the 'cancer' spots too.  I am not going to rip anyone off.   I just want to get stuff gone.  :P   

So yeah, I just wanted to add this, it's a big step for me!

Oh, and I would like tips for the ponies I do keep.  I don't want any of them to suffer!

Thanks!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: G1\'s - deteriorating? (not so bad... *whew*) still want advice though!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
*hugs* I am so sorry honey.

It could be the way they were stored...but dont blame yourself because more likely its just because they are deteriorating plastic and it was going to happen to them whether they were tucked away in a box or on display.

Are the ponies you will be keeping be out on display or also packed away? Thats going to influence the recommendations people have for you.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 05:02:30 PM »
Oh ok, well, for now they are going to be packed up for a while.   Maybe in a year (maybe less) they will be displayed, but for now it's storage.

Thanks!

----

I am feeling better since they were not as bad as I first thought.  But yeah, at first I was really upset that I might have ruined them!  I'm just happy it wasn't that bad, and I want to do better now.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
I would just pop them individually in zip lock bags (or wrap in acid free white tissue paper preferably if you have that available) and leave the bags open or punch a hole in them to allow the plastic to breath. Store them in a cardboard box (as long as their is no danger of the box getting too cold) or preferably a plastic box (again with air holes) and them keep them somewhere not too hot, not too cold and that there is limited humidity and no risk of dampness.
Loa is my love god!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
I would also recommend some silica gel packs with them when they're in the box, they will help absorb some extra moisture.
It's disappointing when you have a minty pony and after a few years they develop a type of age mark or marks.

You can get glitter symbols wet, you just need to be gentle when cleaning them. :o) Always give washed ponies ample time to dry before displaying or putting back into storage.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Dampness is (sadly) a possible issue in this house in the summer months...  I rent a house by the river, and the windows in this place are old.  But, I could move them to my parents house, or maybe to a room without a window..?   

It's the humidity here, and I also have had the plastic drawer right next to the heating vent.   (ugh, what was I thinking?)

I will try to find acid-free paper.  Is that something a craft store would carry?  There is a Hobby Lobby I could visit.  Or maybe order online?

Thanks for the help!!

ps- So, acid-free paper *and* plastic bags with holes is best?  Or would just the paper work ok?   I just worry about moisture buildup. 

Post Merge: January 11, 2015, 05:27:27 PM

I would also recommend some silica gel packs with them when they're in the box, they will help absorb some extra moisture.
It's disappointing when you have a minty pony and after a few years they develop a type of age mark or marks.

You can get glitter symbols wet, you just need to be gentle when cleaning them. :o) Always give washed ponies ample time to dry before displaying or putting back into storage.

Hmm, I know once I got Skydancer wet and some of the color ran off her symbols..  But I might try again...carefully!

Silica gel, where can that be found?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
Dampness is (sadly) a possible issue in this house in the summer months...  I rent a house by the river, and the windows in this place are old.  But, I could move them to my parents house, or maybe to a room without a window..?   

It's the humidity here, and I also have had the plastic drawer right next to the heating vent.   (ugh, what was I thinking?)

I will try to find acid-free paper.  Is that something a craft store would carry?  There is a Hobby Lobby I could visit.  Or maybe order online?

Thanks for the help!!

ps- So, acid-free paper *and* plastic bags with holes is best?  Or would just the paper work ok?   I just worry about moisture buildup. 

Hmm, I know once I got Skydancer wet and some of the color ran off her symbols..  But I might try again...carefully!

Hobby Lobby should have the acid free paper (most big box stores do). Silica is also at most craft stores, it is not cheap (it also is not something you want animals or small people to get into as it should not be ingested). I actually have silica inside of most of my ponies and find it works quite well to control moisture (we get some humid summers up here). Make note that Hobby Lobby has a printable % off coupon on their website that you can access at any time...

G4 customs 4 sale

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:51:58 PM »
 I will make sure to get the coupon and make a trip out there, maybe this weekend even.   I don't to let this go on any longer.  I already moved the ponies away from the vent at least.

Thanks so much!!! 

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »
Honestly most ponies with glitter symbols the symbols won't just wash off or bleed with a gentle wipe of water. Boiling in oxyclean or H202 will damage glitter symbols. In Skydancers case I would try to avoid her symbols completely if you try to wash her again. Plasticizer leak is the only thing I can think of that would help along that type of  symbol damage. If she's sticky be extra careful if you try to clean her again.

G4 customs 4 sale

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
I would put some of the blame on mere bad luck. :) Good luck with re-organizing your collection!  ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »
That stinks!  I had a similar problem with ponies at my sister's house in CA (high desert). I thought they be better off there than the basement in Seattle (damp) because the high desert of CA is REALLY dry all the time.

Only... they were in the garage and they got really really hot for a few days. 

I think heat must accelerate the vinyl breakdown like crazy because all of the ponies stored there got brown vinyl deterioration spots... very sad.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »

Thanks for the help!!

Just go with the bags or the paper :) You dont need both.

Good luck!
Loa is my love god!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
Thanks so much everyone!   I will not let this happen again... if I can help it anyway!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal